Rom decomplier

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Warrior522, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Warrior522
    OP

Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

Jul 21, 2010
    United States
    Does a decompiler for 3DS ROMs exist yet?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    By decompiler I assume you mean unpacker/tool to explode the 3DS rom into all the files it contains.

In that case the answer is technically no. The format is known but the keys to do the decryption have not been leaked to the public yet. When that happens then you will have your unpacking tool.

Warrior522 likes this.
  3. Warrior522
    OP

Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

Jul 21, 2010
    United States
    Alright then, thank you.

4. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    I can't wait till this comes around. Then we'll have custom tracks and textures in Mario Kart! Damn, that brings me back to the Wii days in '08.

And as soon as this comes out, we can start ruining online play with cheats! :evil:

5. aclearersky

aclearersky Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2013
    United States

Ohhh no you did it now.... wait for the floods of people coming in and saying they hope this never happens because they dont want pokemon online to be ruined.

dot7z and Huntereb like this.
  6. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Sep 14, 2007
    Canada
    Even though Pokemon Online is already technically "ruined" lol.

7. LeomelsonBato

LeomelsonBato GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    If that happen does that mean that we can patch japanese games like LovePlus?

8. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    jeez, you old veteran.

Huntereb and WoJjTeK like this.
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Not necessarily. It could just mean you can decrypt the game and unpack to have a further look at them.

In the case of the Wii Nintendo had hosed the security up so it was still useful but if they had done better then all it would have been able to do is decrypt the Wii ISOs. Once the keys are known then from here people could extract level info, reverse engineer the game logic, extract sounds, extract graphics, extract text..... all good stuff if you like ripping assets, figuring out how the game works and generally pulling things apart ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-little-bit-of-3ds-rom-hacking.333348/ ) but not so useful if you want to run hacked games.

That said the hacks (Gateway, Smea's stuff, everything else seen so far) seem to come from the perspective of modifying the 3ds' internal firmware at the highest level (as in they have the keys to the kingdom and can do whatever they like) so it would just be a case then of people making a loader that could use them or possibly tricking the 3ds into loading them on a commercial game.

Look up the idea of public key cryptography or more accurately asymmetric encryption if you want to go further here.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Decompilation isn't very accurate anyways, even if we had the right keys. If you count on decompiling a game, editing a few values and re-compiling it again, you're really out of luck. It'd be far easier to decrypt it and modify it as-is rather than edit decompiled code, decompilation is more often used to get clues on how things work in-game or on-hardware internally. Everything depends on what you want to do. ;)

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I think we were going with the "unpacking a binary/game archive" definition/meaning/concept rather than the "turn assembly or bytecode back into human readable high level source code" concept.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I see. Fair enough then, I just wanted to point out that it never really works well, although huge strides have been made in that area and for well-known, well-researched platforms we can already do it semi-well... 3DS not being one of them. :P