• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Roe V Wade has been repealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All very nice and dandy, except that precedent and stare decisis ARE part of the constitutional order and, in general, a staple of common law countries. I've said time and again that common law is absolutely shit and barbaric (in a metaphorical sense), and this proves it.

While it is true that the legislator should not have been lazy about it, it is also true that you know, after almost half a century of good precedent, and hearings, it should not have been needed. Fact is this SCOTUS is a partisan shitshow with no pretence of the rule of law. As you said, the picks are usually of subservient stooges with ridiculous curricula, of which clarence thomas is a perfect example, a man who made no contributions at all to legal doctrine and scholarship before being put in a position of power.
”Precedent” that is wrong is no precedent at all and must be overturned. You can’t base future decisions on a previous incorrect decision if you intend on those decisions to be just. If we treated precedent as a holy cow, segregation would still be in place under the separate but equal doctrine established in Plessy v. Ferguson - that was precedent between 1896 and 1954 - 58 years. Who says what’s good precedent and what isn’t? You’re only saying it’s “good” because you like the consequences of said precedent. That’s not how the court works - either the precedent is consistent with the law of the land or it isn’t. This chestnut is on Congress - they had *decades* to cement abortion into law. Now they can still do it, but they’re forced to double-time it, because people aren’t happy. Mid-terms are coming too, so the fight is on now, no more napping in the seats.
I'd never ask you... and you base yourself on a clearly partisan institution that doesn't even disguise it.
The figures are directly from the IRS - you just don’t like what the figures say. That’s not my concern.

EDIT: If you don’t like the source, here’s another showing that deductions shifted the tax burden from the middle class onto high earners:

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/tax...its-tax-expenditures-higher-income-households

Here’s a direct link to IRS data - if you’re picky about sources, just ask the tax man directly. It’s very simple, this is public data. Compare figures and see for yourself, that way you avoid any possible “spin zone”. People overwhelmingly saved more on their taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/statistics/soi-tax-stats-historic-table-2

Here’s an analysis of the data above, from another source you won’t like:

https://www.atr.org/irs-data-middle...ignificant-tax-reduction-from-trump-tax-cuts/

Last edited by Foxi4,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if Clarence Thomas hadn't married Shrek, he wouldn't hate everybody who has more sexual freedom than him so much.

Ginni-Thomas-Supreme-Court-Justice-Clarence-Thomas-5-things-embed2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SyphenFreht

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
LOL the minus habens again with the lies. Claiming to protect the babies only to have them die in school shootouts after a life in poverty and misery. You aren't protecting anything - you just feel entitled to women's bodies, you incels.
When you live in a large country with over 329 million people, it's hardly surprising that there's a few nutters that live in it. If you want to talk about violence and gun crimes, you'll find that most of this is done by young black males killing each other, most murder victims are white. This of course has nothing to do with abortion - but being as you are a lefty, it's in your NPC programming to twist the facts to suit your narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Maybe if Clarence Thomas hadn't married Shrek, he wouldn't hate everybody who has more sexual freedom than him so much.
Beauty is only skin deep, that woman might have an amazing personality and be very kind and funny, that's maybe what makes her attractive to her husband who no doubt loves her very much. You logic is silly and when you're only arguement because you don't like the way someone voted or thinks is to call them names and insult their wife, you have issues.

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi and Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Beauty is only skin deep, that woman might have an amazing personality and be very kind and funny, that's maybe what makes her attractive to her husband who no doubt loves her very much. You logic is silly and when you're only arguement because you don't like the way someone voted or thinks is to call them names and insult their wife, you have issues.
Yep the beauty of a terrorist!

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Beauty is only skin deep, that woman might have an amazing personality and be very kind and funny
Both of them have the personality of a toxic waste dump, all they do is spew Fox News and alt-reich talking points. Even calling her Shrek is giving her way too much credit TBH.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Both of them have the personality of a toxic waste dump, all they do is spew Fox News and alt-reich talking points. Even calling her Shrek is giving her way too much credit TBH.
This is the kind of reply which makes people not take the left seriously. You are too immature to care for a child and no doubt that;s why you want people to kill babies, you are most likely selfish and a narcissist as well. These are basic lefty NPC traits.
When I am at the shops sometimes and I see those screaming kids that lie on the floor and punch it when they don't get their own way - this is how I imagine you were when you were younger, and when these kids grow up they are no doubt lefties.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
”Precedent” that is wrong is no precedent at all and must be overturned. You can’t base future decisions on a previous incorrect decision if you intend on those decisions to be just. If we treated precedent as a holy cow, segregation would still be in place under the separate but equal doctrine established in Plessy v. Ferguson - that was precedent between 1896 and 1954 - 58 years. Who says what’s good precedent and what isn’t? You’re only saying it’s “good” because you like the consequences of said precedent. That’s not how the court works - either the precedent is consistent with the law of the land or it isn’t. This chestnut is on Congress - they had *decades* to cement abortion into law. Now they can still do it, but they’re forced to double-time it, because people aren’t happy. Mid-terms are coming too, so the fight is on now, no more napping in the seats.
I'm sorry, your armchair jurist "argument" is not convincing. As you said, not all precedent is "holy cow", and yet hearings were set up specifically to discuss this. Not even taking into account Roe V Wade was originally judged also by Republican SCOTUS justices, making it a super partes decision, not "activism"... The current scotus is packed with bigoted activists who couldn't hold a candle to any respectable legal scholar. Then again, Trump (your hero) picks, so not surprised.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that;s why you want people to kill babies,
Nobody wants to kill babies. This reply is why I don't take the right seriously.

that woman might have an amazing personality and be very kind and funny,
She was involved in the January 6th Insurrection, she is just awful. That might float your boat.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is the kind of reply which makes people not take the left seriously. You are too immature to care for a child and no doubt that;s why you want people to kill babies, you are most likely selfish and a narcissist as well. These are basic lefty NPC traits.
"You're too immature to have a child." So your solution is to force me to have a kid if I accidentally impregnate a woman? :rolleyes:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sorry, your armchair jurist "argument" is not convincing. As you said, not all precedent is "holy cow", and yet hearings were set up specifically to discuss this. Not even taking into account Roe V Wade was originally judged also by Republican SCOTUS justices, making it a super partes decision, not "activism"... The current scotus is packed with bigoted activists who couldn't hold a candle to any respectable legal scholar. Then again, Trump (your hero) picks, so not surprised.
The political alignment of justices should be inconsequential - they’re not running for Congress, they’re nominated for the court. They’re not campaigning for the approval of a particular electorate, they’re demonstrating competence in constitutional law when picked. The one and only thing that matters is whether or not they’re well-versed in it - they’re supposed to make judgements based on the law.
If I want to know about it, I'll search for it myself. I wanted to know her opinion. You distort facts to fit your opinions and you're dishonest in discussions.
Lower and middle-class households saved the most on their taxes as a percentage of their income. It’s not a partisan opinion, it’s math. I’m sure you’ll find opinions that say the opposite, and I know precisely why - because of the difference dollar-to-dollar in savings which I already addressed and which is inconsequential. A middle class household was never under threat of earning in excess of a million dollars a year even if you lowered their income tax bracket to 0% (which I approve of, actually - they shouldn’t pay any income tax), they simply don’t make that much money. The only thing that matters is how much they saved compared to what they used to pay, and that difference is expressed as a percentage value.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
January 6th Insurrection
There was no "insurrection" - this is just a political phrase programmed into you by your lefty overlords to try and sow division and hate. This kind of thing is straight from the lefty play book. They also tried to start a race war. Funny how they were all for the riots and burning during the BLM riots and didn't say a peep about those Antifa terrorists.....
As for these sham Jan 6 hearings, that's nothing but a clown circus - you'll find out in November just how much people aren't buying into the whole left wing narrative.
I hope you are concerned about high gas prices, high food prices, bare shelves, high inflation, devalue of your currency, abandoning your Allies, Arming the Taliban etc, because if you were you'd realise that the people you have running your country just now are the ones that have caused this.

Reactions: BitMasterPlus

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The political alignment of justices should be inconsequential
"Should be," but we all know it isn't at the moment. Thomas has read off basically the exact same wish list as Trump in terms of the rights and freedoms he wants to strip away from the American people. They're not even pretending to give a fuck about the oaths they took any more.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
"You're too immature to have a child." So your solution is to force me to have a kid if I accidentally impregnate a woman? :rolleyes:
How can you accidentaly impresgate a woman? would you be walking about naked with a boner (and a premature ejaculation problem), trip up and accidently land on a womans vagina and accidently impregnate her.

There's nothing accidental about it, but leftys don't like to take responsibility for their own actions and they never like to deal with the consequences when they don't go the way they want.

I don't think you should ever have a child with that mentality because with you as a parent there's no doubt the state would remove the kid for it's own safety. If somehow you managed to slip through the net - the world would just end up with another selfish nut job in it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"Should be," but we all know it isn't at the moment. Thomas has read off basically the exact same wish list as Trump in terms of the rights and freedoms he wants to strip away from the American people. They're not even pretending to give a fuck about the oaths they took any more.
Perhaps those decisions should also be cemented into federal law or the Constitution instead of being crammed through the back door? Who knows? Thomas is only one of the justices, and he can have an opinion. That’s not an indication of any future proceedings. If you sense “looming danger”, I call that “forward warning” - now Congress knows the SCOTUS isn’t messing around, so they’d better move.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How can you accidentaly impresgate a woman? would you be walking about naked with a boner (and a premaute ejaculation problem), trip up and accidently land on a womans vagina and accidently impregnate her.
Spoken like a dude who has never had sex before. Condoms are sometimes defective, and women can sometimes forget to take their birth control pills. Shit happens, just ask all the Republican congressmen who have paid to get their mistresses abortions.

I don't think you should ever have a child with that mentality because with you as a parent there's no doubt the state would remove the kid for it's own safety. If somehow you managed to slip through the net - the world would just end up with another selfish nut job in it.
Holy shit you're millimeters away from grasping the point. There are lots of people who shouldn't have kids and lots more who just plain don't want them. Forcing a baby on any of those people can only possibly lead to more suffering. I suppose that's the point though, isn't it? Some sort of creepy fucking puritanism born of sexual frustration and/or repression.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The political alignment of justices should be inconsequential - they’re not running for Congress, they’re nominated for the court. They’re not campaigning for the approval of a particular electorate, they’re demonstrating competence in constitutional law when picked. The one and only thing that matters is whether or not they’re well-versed in it - they’re supposed to make judgements based on the law.
Well, they're neither competent nor super partes. So, yeah. Sadly this is what happens when you mix judicial oversight with politics.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps those decisions should also be cemented into federal law or the Constitution instead of being crammed through the back door? Who knows? Thomas is only one of the justices, and he can have an opinion. That’s not an indication of any future proceedings.
Thomas only opens his fat mouth when he's sure of himself, and right now he's sure he has enough insane fundamentalist justices on the court to send America back to the 17th century.

If you sense “looming danger”, I call that “forward warning” - now Congress knows the SCOTUS isn’t messing around, so they’d better move.
Congress is deadlocked. That doesn't mean the American people should allow unelected tyrants to shit all over our democracy without repercussion. Short of a general strike or drastic executive action from Biden (unlikely), the only option people have left is direct action. The purpose of fascism of course being to leave people too hopeless, afraid, and tired to attempt that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, they're neither competent nor super partes. So, yeah. Sadly this is what happens when you mix judicial oversight with politics.
What’s your justification for that statement? They all have extensive experience in the legal system.

Thomas only opens his fat mouth when he's sure of himself, and right now he's sure he has enough insane fundamentalist justices on the court to send America back to the 17th century.

Congress is deadlocked. That doesn't mean the American people should allow unelected tyrants to shit all over our democracy without repercussion. Short of a general strike or drastic executive action from Biden (unlikely), the only option people have left is direct action. The purpose of fascism of course being to leave people too hopeless, afraid, and tired to attempt that.
Mid-terms are coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over