Ripping Music from Games

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Alter, Aug 25, 2009.

Aug 25, 2009

Ripping Music from Games by Alter at 5:25 AM (4,433 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Alter
    OP

Member Alter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, after spending a couple of hours on Google, I've come up empty. I'm looking to rip the music files from Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. I used ndsts to rid the sound_data.sdat file from the ROM, but haven't managed to get any further than that.

From what I've gathered, it's possible with some games, but not with others.

In the end, I'm hoping to have several music files, which I can convert into a usable format, or at least one file which I can edit and turn into several.

Anyway, if someone could give me step by step instructions, (or perhaps doing it themselves would be faster) then that would be great. Thanks.

2. jonesman99

Member jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

United States
    you could check to see if someone already has and put them up on youtube and then download them for there

3. Alter
    OP

United States
    I wish that it would be so simple. I've been searching for a couple of years for these tracks, and am pretty sure by now that none exist. This is a very little known European-only game. The only things I've ever found are some pre-release tracks.

At this point, I've just decided to get them myself. [​IMG]

But thanks for the suggestion. [​IMG]

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Two main tools to convert SDAT to something useful and a few older/less useful ones also exist.

The two common are ndssndext and vgmtrans, both sites that used to host them are long since gone (well ndssndext still exists but it is not there for whatever reason: http://nintendon.s6.xrea.com/ ).

I have mirrors of both though:
    ndssndext:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/68276816/80922...sndext_v04.html
    VGMTrans:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/76520093/5a299676/VGMTrans.html
    Both are simple apps for which the command line is your friend, what one is better varies from game to game, person to person and probably the speakers they are pumping it through.

Option 2 is you rig up an emulator and loop back the sound, you should be able to kill channels so you do not have game SFX at the time. The tools should be good enough though.

As for games that "can't" be ripped such a thing would occur if sdat was not used and while there have been several games that have done it hardware limitations and complexities of writing a decoder mean most companies have opted for something simple (N+ using basic PCM audio), already known (TWEWY using ADX/ADH formats (common in games)) and/or common (electroplankton using windows compatible wave). The fact I know examples by name should suggest how uncommon it is and aside from electroplankton those games are fairly new.

Also I am fairly sure I discussed this very game back when we first learned about SDAT hacking proper but it is a simple task and the newer tools are better so no need to go there.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    There is a 2sf format and tools to convert and play DS game music.
    it's a derived psf format (playstation music file) adapted for nintendo DS.

spec and files here : http://unknown.hcs64.com/2sf/
    Take CaitSith2's nobrain ripkit.
    The tool can convert sdat or even full .nds games to 2sflib & 2sfmini format for foobar/winamp player, but I didn't find a documentation on how to rip, and the command line help isn't very good (but the source code is included).
    There is an input plugin to play 2sf files on players named vio2sf

-snip-

6. Alter
    OP

United States
    OK, I downloaded VGMTrans, and I was able to start converting the appropriate files into MIDI's. Unfortunately, the music doesn't quite sound like it does in the game. In fact, I can't recognize half of them. It disproportions the instruments, and you can also hear them too clearly, and it makes it sound like a fan-created tune. Is there a way that I can fix these problems?

P.S. Thanks for the help so far, guys. [​IMG]

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "VGMTrans......the music doesn't quite sound like it does in the game."

Try ndssndext instead, situations like this is why I linked both up. The problem comes in that while SSEQ are like midi they are not midi and using a computer to play them back changes the instruments as you have seen.

Cyan's method is also good (if nothing else you can loop it back using that), thanks for that one Cyan; I always seem to forget that route.

8. Alter
    OP

United States
    Alright! I'll try them both. Thanks for the help!

Edit: I tried using the ndssndext program. I assume that I'm supposed to drop the .sdat file onto the .exe, but when I do, a widow pops up and says:

Title: SDAT
    Code:
    Analizing... Done.

And then it just starts printing out periods. Eventually it will close itself out. Any tips?

Oh, and sadly, I can't simply record it, as the music will have a "lag" effect when I do. There are only two DS emulators that will play this game, and only one (No$GBA) has sound.