RIP, Omega Ruby cartridge

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Izual Urashima, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Izual Urashima
    OP

Izual Urashima Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    I'll take this thread as a moment to mourn the loss of my Omega Ruby cartridge, dead for unknown reasons.

It was once my main Pokémon cartridge, with me playing through it until the post game, unlocking everything and catching every poke, trying to get shiny legendaries for some cases. And with Sun and Moon's release, I still was booting it from time to time, if only to get that damn alternative Entei. But last day, as I tried to boot it, I met the fearful "An error happened, please shut down your 3DS" message, on both my pirated 2DS and my clean 3DS XL, and nothing saved it. I tried updating the game to various levels of updates. I tried copying the SD data somewhere else before formatting it, then putting it back on. I even went as far as formatting my 3DS XL. But nothing saved the poor cartridge, who ran for hundreds of hours until its end.

Even 3DS cartridges aren't immortal, despite DS cartridges still functioning perfectly (I still have my day one Diamond version working perfectly), I guess. Be sure to keep a backup of your saves for this case, should this happen too.

2. Tekniquez

Tekniquez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    rip

3. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 GBATemp's Official Skiddo™ | Founder of Skiddoism

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Maybe it was something as simple as dirty contacts, did you clean them on the cart?

4. doughmay

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    If you can somehow revive it, maybe dump the cart and extract your save file? Does it not even show up in gm9?

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I play the games as .CIAs, then periodically backup my saves to the cartridges, as a "hard copy". I can always dump them back after having to restore a NAND or whatever else may strike.

6. Izual Urashima
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    Tried it right now, no changes. Thanks for suggesting this.

The pokes are backed up through PKSM, including my eight boxes of shinies obtained since Emerald, and a backup of this is done.

woofmute, Jayro and Dionicio3 like this.
  7. Izual Urashima
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    Some additional attempts were done in order to check if the cartridge was still useable, here are the informations :

- The black screen happens either if I try to pass the opening cinematic, or mere seconds after it begins.
    - Four different SD cards were tested, each with the same result.
    - The wifi being on or off had no changes
    - The game crashes on every console used (a basic 3DS, a 3DS XL, a 2DS and a New 3DS XL)

8. mike a
    This message by mike a has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jul 24, 2017, Reason: If you can't say anything helpful...
    Jul 23, 2017
  9. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    This happened to me but because of powersaves.. my dear X and Y saves from OG 2013.. my condolences, again have you tried extracting the save with JKSM? I can try test things if need be :)

Edit: does it show up in the home menu or just says "no game card inserted" with me my Pokémon X it says "game card cannot be used"

Edit 2: so you've backed up your save, correct? Tried viewing in PkHex? You could try downloading a digital version of OR and try inject the save into it maybe..

Trying to get a better understanding to see if I can help

Last edited by proflayton123, Jul 23, 2017
    Izual Urashima likes this.
  10. Alternis
    This message by Alternis has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 24, 2017, Reason: completely unhelpful.
    Jul 23, 2017
  11. Izual Urashima
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    I didn't extract the save, only used PKSM and extracted the pokes themselves (since I don't really care for the save itself, it can quickly be reached again).

And yeah, it shows up in Home Menu. Game Cart can technically be used. And I'll give a try about injecting a save whenever I'll get the time to, thanks for the suggestion.

12. daniel26150

daniel26150 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Mexico
    Try restoring the save to stock, with JKSM and try again

13. Jimmay123

Jimmay123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2015
    delfino plaza
    not everyone approves doing this if you don't be nice and don't flame me :P

if everything is all backed up already you could go and buy a pre owned copy from game or cex (cex would be better because for personal reasons i hate them) swap the cartridges and return it

you could then put the backup save on the new cartridge :D