Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've had a Wii since they came out and had a mod chip put in it years ago and have been burning backups ever since. Lately I've been looking into loaders though and I've finally decided to make the leap. I've got WiiFlow up and running fine but now I'm faced with the huge task of transferring over 50 backup discs to the hard drive. Is there a way to do this right from the Wii itself? For example, put a backup disc in the Wii, launch a program (from home brew channel) and copy it over?

Another question, is there a way to copy backups from my computer to the Wii's external hard drive without having to disconnect it and hook it up to the computer, over the network I mean? That would be so much easier so I was hoping there was a way to do it since my computer is in the basement and my Wii is upstairs.

Dent

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All the current USB loaders can rip the game from the disc (backup or original) in the Wii and transfer it to the external hard drive you have plugged into the Wii. For Wiiflow, look in the main settings/options area and find the button labelled Install Game.

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ooops, I must have missed that thanks!

So what about transferring backup image files from my computer directly to my Wii without having to unplug the and move the hard drive? Any way to do that?

yourguide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you guys are on the topic... is there a way to copy ISO files directly to a USB drive on a PC..plug that in to the Wii then boot/play them?
Though the wireless idea would be cool... if a little slow perhaps.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YOURGUIDE
you need a wbfs partition on your USB Drive, and a program like WBFS Manager (google it)...then you would rip your ISO (if it's a backup already) with IMGBurn, then transfer it to your HDD with wbfs manager (or equivalent program)...but as far as Original store bought disc...there is a few drives that reads them (can't think of them off the top of my head) so your best bet is to rip them wirelessly(from Wii To PC) or just plug your HDD into the wii and rip them direct

yourguide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks.... I appreciate the info... I just figured that out by reading the guides... sometimes I miss the absolute obvious...so thank you for your polite and useful response.
smile.gif

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So nothing really to do it over the network? I probably will be transferring a backup at least once a week and it would be nice not the have to unhook my hard drive and connect to my PC every time. How do most of you get your Wii backups on to the hard drive? Mine is a 3.5" drive so it's not as easy to move as a 2.5" model.

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Riicky said:
Just leave your HDD connected to your Wii, put the game in, launch your usb loader, and rip directly...no need to transfer to PC
Thanks again, I was aware I could do that. What about backup iso files I have on my PC hard drive. No option but to burn to dvd and then transfer or hookup the external hdd to the PC? There is no way to ftp to the Wii or something to transfer the files? Can you map a network drive to the Wii's hard drive for example?

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the ISO's on the PC hard drive

Option 1:Burn to disc and rip to HDD
Option 2:Hook up the external to the PC and do it that way

Option 2 would be much more faster

When I bought my External..I had the task of transferring 286 games....for that, I took the 3.5 HDD out of the external casing, put it IN my PC and ripped the "backups" with IMGburn and transferred them over to the HDD with WBFS Manager...took a few days for me to finish due to time restraints (2 yr old daughter) lol

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Riicky said:
For the ISO's on the PC hard drive

Option 1:Burn to disc and rip to HDD
Option 2:Hook up the external to the PC and do it that way

Option 2 would be much more faster

When I bought my External..I had the task of transferring 286 games....for that, I took the 3.5 HDD out of the external casing, put it IN my PC and ripped the "backups" with IMGburn and transferred them over to the HDD with WBFS Manager...took a few days for me to finish due to time restraints (2 yr old daughter) lol
That's exactly what I'm spending tonight doing. Only 50 or 60 games though. 286 games? Wowsers! I guess I won't complain. Thanks again for the help.

So you do option 2 every time you want to transfer a new backup off your PC to your hard drive?

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pretty much use both options...When I rent a game and copy it, I have no choice but to rip it directly from the Wii to the HDD using the usb loader..If I *cough* Download a game lol, i hook the external up to the PC

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really confused as to why everyone thinks if they have backups already on DVD's that they have to then make ISO's out of them to get them on the WBFS drive from the PC? You can directly copy them over to the HD with at least one WBFS program I'm aware of by simply inserting the DVD into your PC DVD player, hitting a few buttons, and bam, it's on your WBFS drive. Most it takes is 5-6 minutes per game (for the largest games), with most games only taking a fraction of that amount of time.

It's a waste of time making ISO's out of your already burnt backup images. Please stop advising people to do so, unless they have lots of time on their hands of course.

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
That's exactly what I'm spending tonight doing. Only 50 or 60 games though. 286 games? Wowsers! I guess I won't complain. Thanks again for the help.

So you do option 2 every time you want to transfer a new backup off your PC to your hard drive?

Best way to transfer the games from the computer is by using WBFS Manager(iso only!). I do that. And for games that I have burnt or own a real copy, I just use my usb loader application to rip it.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skizzo said:
I'm really confused as to why everyone thinks if they have backups already on DVD's that they have to then make ISO's out of them to get them on the WBFS drive from the PC? You can directly copy them over to the HD with at least one WBFS program I'm aware of by simply inserting the DVD into your PC DVD player, hitting a few buttons, and bam, it's on your WBFS drive. Most it takes is 5-6 minutes per game (for the largest games), with most games only taking a fraction of that amount of time.

It's a waste of time making ISO's out of your already burnt backup images. Please stop advising people to do so, unless they have lots of time on their hands of course.

5-6 mins? When I ripped RB2 it took me a good 20-30 mins with Wiiflow....and another reason I prefer to make ISO's out of them is cuz the Wii drive,lens, and laser go through enough stress while playing disc...so why would you want to add MORE stress to it?

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riicky said:
Skizzo said:

5-6 mins? When I ripped RB2 it took me a good 20-30 mins with Wiiflow....and another reason I prefer to make ISO's out of them is cuz the Wii drive,lens, and laser go through enough stress while playing disc...so why would you want to add MORE stress to it?
You apparently aren't reading what I wrote. I DIDN'T USE THE WII AT ALL. I USED MY PC DVD DRIVE TO COPY MY BACKUPS ONTO THE WBFS DRIVE. And yes, the LONGEST any game took was ~5-6 minutes. Many only took less than 30 seconds. PC DVD drives might only be able to burn at up to 16x or whatever speed it is these days, but they can certainly read much faster.

To summarize...

There's a few different scenarios.

1.) You have ISO files sitting on your PC HD. In that case you can use any of the better known and tested WBFS managers to transfer them to your WBFS drive connected to your PC. Pick whichever one you like.

2.) You have already burnt backups on DVD's. In that case, again, you can use a WBFS manager to copy the DVD directly from your PC DVD drive onto the WBFS drive, without any need for ImgBurn or whatever to make an ISO out of them first. This will save you lots of time. Pick a WBFS program that supports this function. IF WBFS Manager doesn't, then I would say WBFS Manager is lacking in one major feature that every WBFS manager should have. I did this process ages ago, with one of the first programs to come out supporting this feature, and it worked perfectly. As I said previously, the longest a game would take was ~5-6 minutes, the smallest games took less than 30 seconds.

Or you can go the slower route of letting your Wii DVD drive do the work using any of the major USB loaders, which should all contain this feature. Again, I think this would be a much slower process, and I don't know if you can select which parts of the disc you want copied to your HD such as whether you want to include the update partition, but you may be able to. You certainly can with the WBFS managers.

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Skizzo said:

I tried to rip the backup discs using the three WBFS Managers listed here and couldn't get it working with any of them. So I'm ripping them with Image Burn to an ISO and then using WBFS Manager 3.0 to transfer to the external hard drive. Pain in the butt to have to make the iso first, but it's working.

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When I try and go to the disc drive (D: on my PC) it doesn't see anything there. Same problem was happening with the other programs.

Edit: Well id does have ??WII?????????!. I tried to move that over, we'll see how it goes in a minute.

Edit II: Okay, well that worked! Once it copies over the name of the game shows up fine. Thanks for the link, saved me some time for sure!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: