Riivolution for backups

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chaosdarkneo, Jan 25, 2012.

Jan 25, 2012

Riivolution for backups by chaosdarkneo at 7:55 PM (13,347 Views / 0 Likes) 61 replies

1. chaosdarkneo
    OP

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've used the search function, and I do know that it wasn't possible some time ago... However, is it possible now?

But I'm in need of something like this, as my brother recently broke my Super Mario Galaxy 2 disk, which I was using in conjunction with Riivolution for this project here:

http://supermariogalaxy2-5.com/index.cgi

Now that I don't have an original disk, I can't use Riivolution, and thus, can't do anything for the project...

I was lucky enough to make a backup of my disk, of course, and stick it on my 500GB hard drive...

Is it possible, or has it been done already?
    Is there any way to have Riivolution work for backups?

Or am I simply out of luck?

Thanks in advance...

2. Wiip™

Member Wiip™ Worth a penny.

United Kingdom
  3. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    Nintendo will probably replace your disc for you. you can usually contact them and they can replace broken discs

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    According to their site you have to buy a new copy.
    But regardless you're going to need a new disc if you want to use Riivolution.

5. diddy81

Member diddy81 Wii Theme Team

United Kingdom
    your going to need to buy a new disc
    but until you do you could try replacing the files in a iso to test on your usb loader or in dolphin

6. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    this is a broken policy :(

7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    how so?

8. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    broken media should be replaceable. and to prevent piracy it should be able to be done without time restrictions if there's proof of purchase

9. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    But it's not that hard to keep discs in good condition. If a disc gets broken it's the owner's fault, or rather not the company's. chaosdarkneo said his brother broke the disc, which was either malicious, or a result of improper handling (left on the floor or something). It's not Nintendo's responsibility to replace it.

10. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    but the cost of the disc is literally around a penny or two for the company. if proof of purchase is provided, a replacement would not hurt the company that severely.

an example, i bought a microsoft keyboard and mouse a while back, probably over a year ago, and the mouse wheel kept stopping and wouldn't work again until i pulled the battery. i called them and you know what they did? they sent me a brand new keyboard and mouse, without asking for the original POS back. so now i got a free keyboard and mouse (and it was a better model). not many people break their discs and when asked they should send a new one. hell even make the person pay for shipping.

that being said, riivolution sucks. the devs go out of their way to block pirates. i boycott and protest riivolution. i know Newer Super mario bros is going to use it, but i guess i won't be playing it if thats the only method. i like the devs behind it, but blocking piracy is a joke. using the software on a wii is unauthorized by nintendo as is.

11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    No it shouldn't. Nintendo isn't responsible for how you (or anyone near you) treat their games. Their only duty is to make sure the disc itself is in good condition when you buy it.

Piracy is never an argument in this, and it's even absurd to mention it. It's like threatening to rob a bank if they don't lower their loan conditions.

EDIT: @VashTS: did riivolution had any update since I last checked, then? I know that at first, the reason riivolution didn't work on backups was because their hacks were simply interfering with cIOS and the developers didn't go out of their way to cater for non-standard IOS'es (which, face it, change far more often than IOS'es). The attitude pirates gave them not exactly encouraged them to do so either, but afaik, they didn't go anywhere to actively block pirates (aside from not releasing the source code, that is).

12. OneUp

Member OneUp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you wanted to use a burned backup of the game you could trick riivolution into thinking it was a normal game if you installed one of those full cIOS mods that replaces every IOS. However, I don't think there is a current version and that method is generally seen as unsafe etc.

I haven't actually explored XNEEK, but it might also be able to trick riivolution into thinking a real game was loaded in the drive (even from usb).

It would be neat if Nintendo offered a replacement disk, even if it cost the user a bit of money, but still be cheaper than buying another copy. My Mario Party 8 disk and Mario Kart Wii disk somehow got damaged to where they either won't load, or freeze in game. Luckily I backed up a friend's copies and can play it, but not with riivolution.

13. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Nintendo can't be responsible for replacing every Wii disc anyone breaks. That would cost them a clean fortune. I can see where you're coming from, but if you buy something, it's up to you to look after it and keep it in good condition.

14. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm...don't take it the wrong way, but I think vou have no idea what you're talking about. The whole reason riivolution doesn't work with backups is because it doesn't work with non-standard IOS'es. Installing more cIOS'es won't suddenly change that simple fact.

Neek is the exact same thing: it doesn't use original IOS'es* so riivolution won't work on them.

*though I have to admit I'm not sure how they are different

15. SifJar

United Kingdom
    With *NEEK, some modules are replaced (most notably, DI - this is what allows backups. I think also ES and some other stuff though) by *NEEK, so only parts of the official IOS are running. Or something like that.

16. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    2 words mod chip

17. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    It is Nintendos fault for not allowing it to be handled properly.
    Because proper handling of ANY data that is worth something includes making a backup.

18. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Riivolution blocks (yes, actively blocks) at least some modchips (mildly impressive in that that is something Nintendo haven't managed to achieve with software).

19. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    my wiikey2 is not blocked.

20. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Congrats. But like I said, some are.