x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my case, the side effects destroy my gut. I gotta find some fake cheese; Australia has vegan Kraft Dinner, I hope they bring it here.
I always love the way canadians call mac and cheese kraft dinner - I know local stores here sell other brands with fake cheese (mostly geared towards vegans)

Trophies
XP
In my case, the side effects destroy my gut. I gotta find some fake cheese; Australia has vegan Kraft Dinner, I hope they bring it here.

My lactose intolerance will get so bad sometimes that it'll either destroy my stomach or just make me puke- lmao, not to mention it also builds up in my chest like some gross film alongside my normal Reflux / GERD.

But still, I need my cheese!

Reactions: SAIYAN48

WJLIII3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corn chips and cranberry juice
Post automatically merged:

Lactose intorerance. Another genetic failture!

Actually, there's no such thing as lactose intolerance- lactose tolerance is a genetic trait carried by many caucasians, and few members of other ethnicities, lactose intolerance is the normal state of humans. It's not a hostile gene, like an allergy, its simply lack of a helpful one, like not being double-jointed.

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's actually really common to do that near the South in the US. We even have restaurants that put chips (crisps) in Sandwiches and Burgers, and we jokingly call it "Redneck Lettuce", lmao.
I had no clue that at least in the south of the USA they did this. Nvere heard of anyone putting crisps on a burger but it makes sense since a burger is also and sandwich. Migh try it some time and see how it goes. Seems the rest of America are not big fans of it.

Beans on toast is another one that most Americains dont really like. I find this odd since they like beans in a Burrito or Taco though I think its re-fried beans or black beans than the beans we think of here?
Post automatically merged:

I love a crisp sandwich, especially with salt and vinegar crisps
I always go with cheese and onion,

Trophies
XP
I had no clue that at least in the south of the USA they did this. Nvere heard of anyone putting crisps on a burger but it makes sense since a burger is also and sandwich. Migh try it some time and see how it goes. Seems the rest of America are not big fans of it.

Yeah putting crisps on all types of Sandwiches is a popular thing to do in the Southern US. But when it comes to burgers, I'd say it really depends on what's in it. It usually works fine, but there are some burgers that it just wouldn't go well with, it also depends on the type of crisp. It's always seemed normal to me, but then again I've never left the South, lmao. So that'd probably explain why I don't think it's weird.

Beans on toast is another one that most Americains dont really like. I find this odd since they like beans in a Burrito or Taco though I think its re-fried beans or black beans than the beans we think of here?

Yeah, when you say beans, most Americans will think of re-fried, or black beans. They go good on tortillas, but toast would depend. I assume you do it with Baked Beans? If so, then yeah, I can see that. I've tried it before, and it isn't bad.

Although something that's always surprised me is that a lot of British people apparently don't know what Gravy is!

Reactions: BigOnYa

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah putting crisps on all types of Sandwiches is a popular thing to do in the Southern US. But when it comes to burgers, I'd say it really depends on what's in it. It usually works fine, but there are some burgers that it just wouldn't go well with, it also depends on the type of crisp. It's always seemed normal to me, but then again I've never left the South, lmao. So that'd probably explain why I don't think it's weird.

Yeah, when you say beans, most Americans will think of re-fried, or black beans. They go good on tortillas, but toast would depend. I assume you do it with Baked Beans? If so, then yeah, I can see that. I've tried it before, and it isn't bad.

Although something that's always surprised me is that a lot of British people apparently don't know what Gravy is!

I always thought crisp sandwiches were a british thing too, I've never put them in a burger but definitely going to try!

It is baked beans we do it with, personally I don't like it, I think it makes the toast too soggy lol.

As for gravy most british people would say americans don't know what gravy is. I might be wrong but my understanding is that for americans gravy is a roux (flour + fat) based sauce made with milk? For british people its kind of the same except we don't put milk in, we use meat stock instead. American gravy, assuming I'm correct about what it is, we would call white sauce or bechamel sauce and is used as a base for other sauces. For example I might cook some bacon, use the fat to make a white sauce, add cheese to make a cheese sauce and have it with pasta.

Reactions: CrossOut

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aye it is baked beans. The keys is not to much bean sauce as it maske your bread soggy. As for the gravy thing the reason them not knowing waht it is is because they are 2 different gravies made in very different ways for different foods. the USA would have the white gravy with what you call a biscuit( an americain biscuit is really a scone just name differently and eaten differently)

A Scone in the rest o the world for he most part is eaten at breakfest or lunch and you would put someting sweet on it like jam or butter. Heres a link explaining the gravy difference, https://british-american-dictionary.com/bad-words/gravy-us/. Also why the fuck is it in the bad words section haha wft.

Anyway the gravy you find in europe is a brown coloured gravy that you eat with certain types of meat like Chicken, Turkey, Beef. You can add flavour to your gravy in many ways like the US does, say you roast a bird you would add some of the fat to the gravy to add a different flavor to it.

Trophies
XP
As for gravy most british people would say americans don't know what gravy is. I might be wrong but my understanding is that for americans gravy is a roux (flour + fat) based sauce made with milk? For british people its kind of the same except we don't put milk in, we use meat stock instead. American gravy, assuming I'm correct about what it is, we would call white sauce or bechamel sauce and is used as a base for other sauces. For example I might cook some bacon, use the fat to make a white sauce, add cheese to make a cheese sauce and have it with pasta.

When it comes to Gravy in america, there's quite a lot of variation.. Sometimes we do the "white sauce", but once again that's mainly a southern-western style of gravy, hence the name "Country Style Gravy". It's mainly used on dishes like chicken-fried steak or porkchops.

Other gravies we use have meat-stock, broth, or even just juices from marinating or cooking the meat as the base, It can range from being a thin sauce just for flavor, or a thick topping meant to eat along with the dish.

For example, the meat-stock / meat-juice gravy is what's usually put on stuff like Mashed-Potatos. But we used white-sauce gravy for certain types of dishes, to eat alongside it.

There's also another type of gravy specifically for Salisbury Steak which is made with either meat-stock, or juices from cooking the steak, as well as dairy to make it thicker and creamier to use on top of the meat.

There's also varying types of gravy like mushroom gravy, but if I continue I'm just gonna be talking about gravy all day XD

Last edited by Deleted member 571007,

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always thought crisp sandwiches were a british thing too, I've never put them in a burger but definitely going to try!

It is baked beans we do it with, personally I don't like it, I think it makes the toast too soggy lol.

Took the words out of my mouth and better explained to

Trophies
XP
Anyway the gravy you find in europe is a brown coloured gravy that you eat with certain types of meat like Chicken, Turkey, Beef. You can add flavour to your gravy in many ways like the US does, say you roast a bird you would add some of the fat to the gravy to add a different flavor to it.

We actually actively use both types of gravy in America. It just depends on which dish we're making ;)

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We actually actively use both types of gravy in America. It just depends on which dish we're making ;)
I wonder is its a recent thing or perhaps a southern thing? For many years I recall the USA only using white gravy. Have you tried the Europe style brown gravy before?

Trophies
XP
I wonder is its a recent thing or perhaps a southern thing? For many years I recall the USA only using white gravy. Have you tried the Europe style brown gravy before?

It's been like that for a long time, lmao. European brown gravy is along the same lines as our brown gravy. But like I said we have a TON of variations when it comes to gravy so I'm not surprised about the confusion.

I made a post a little bit above that explains some of the differences, so that might be able to clear some of it up.

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When it comes to Gravy in america, there's quite a lot of variation.. Sometimes we do the "white sauce", but once again that's mainly a southern-western style of gravy, hence the name "Country Style Gravy". It's mainly used on dishes like chicken-fried steak or porkchops.

Other gravies we use have meat-stock, broth, or even just juices from marinating or cooking the meat as the base, It can range from being a thin sauce just for flavor, or a thick topping meant to eat along with the dish.

For example, the meat-stock / meat-juice gravy is what's usually put on stuff like Mashed-Potatos. But we used white-sauce gravy for certain types of dishes (mainly fried), to eat alongside it.

There's also another type of gravy specifically for Salisbury Steak which is made with either meat-stock, or juices from cooking the steak, as well as dairy to make it thicker and creamier to use on top of the meat.

There's also varying types of gravy like mushroom gravy, but if I continue I'm just gonna be talking about gravy all day XD

Thats really interesting, thank you. I've always wondered what exactly american's class as gravy, it always seems to be a subject of contention on the internet lol. It seems for you gravy has a much broader definition whereas the british definition is very strict.

I find it funny that american's would class british gravy as gravy but most british people would certainly not class american gravy as gravy.

We make and use variations of the gravys you mentioned but we would refer to them as a sauce rather than a gravy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill