Reveal your weird food combinations that your friends don't understand

Trophies
XP
Thats really interesting, thank you. I've always wondered what exactly american's class as gravy, it always seems to be a subject of contention on the internet lol. It seems for you gravy has a much broader definition whereas the british definition is very strict.

I find it funny that american's would class british gravy as gravy but most british people would certainly not class american gravy as gravy.

We make and use variations of the gravys you mentioned but we would refer to them as a sauce rather than a gravy

Yeah, I can get why that'd cause confusion across different groups of people. Generally in America, if something is similar enough to be put together, it usually gets put under an umbrella term- which you'll then have to specify what type you're referring to. Gravy being a prime example here.

Of course that's not true for all things, but I guess it can be chalked down to culture differences.

Reactions: Benja81 and User154

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thats really interesting, thank you. I've always wondered what exactly american's class as gravy, it always seems to be a subject of contention on the internet lol. It seems for you gravy has a much broader definition whereas the british definition is very strict.

I find it funny that american's would class british gravy as gravy but most british people would certainly not class american gravy as gravy.

We make and use variations of the gravys you mentioned but we would refer to them as a sauce rather than a gravy
Heres the funny bit, gravy is a sauce just called something different to maybe sound fancy? Like how a burger and a hotdog are both a sandwich just named that way.

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I can get why that'd cause confusion across different groups of people. Generally in America, if something is similar enough to be put together, it usually gets put under an umbrella term- which you'll then have to specify what type you're referring to. Gravy being a prime example here.

Of course that's not true for all things, but I guess it can be chalked down to culture differences.

Yes I think a lot of these things come down to the differences in our cultures and how our languages/dialects have developed over the years, I always find it really interesting.

Heres the funny bit, gravy is a sauce just called something different to maybe sound fancy? Like how a burger and a hotdog are both a sandwich just named that way.

It is funny isn't it? How someone just decided to give something a name one day and it stuck and became known as that going forward

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something I grew up with, was a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, and a bowl of ramen. With enough water left in it to make it more of a "soup" that I'd dip the sandwich in. It's really good with the chicken flavored ramen. And dirt cheap to make if you're broke!

Another one is taking a hot dog with a slice of cheese and putting baked beans on top. Not too much, or you'll get the bread soggy. Sometimes adding some maple syrup on top is good too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far