1. 3,247

Front-page
    RetroPieWebsiteLogo.png

It's been just short of a year since the Raspberry Pi Foundation released the Raspberry Pi 4 with drastically better specifications, and ever since it's launch users have been hungry for proper retro-gaming software to finally be ported over to the Raspberry Pi. While images for Lakka have been available for a while, and RetroPie has had working weekly's and dev builds out for a few months now, we haven't had any official support from the RetroPie team for the Raspberry Pi 4...until now, that is. The RetroPie group has just announced RetroPie 4.6 and is finally offering official support for the Raspberry Pi 4 along with other improvements to the software, including an update to Raspbian Buster vs Raspbian Stretch, Retroarch 1.8.5 support, and a few other improvements and fixes which are detailed below.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (26 replies)

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    What systems do such things reasonably top out at these days?

4. Tom Bombadildo

OP Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    The Pi 4 should do just about up to Dreamcast console-wise, and PSP/DS handheld wise for full speed emulation.

Gamecube and Wii emulation is also feasible on the Pi 4, there are a few playable games as well. I believe the Mario Kart games and other such titles that are usually marked as "easy to run on shit hardware" are now playable on a Pi 4, but I wouldn't use it over a cheap modern PC for that.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Nice. I didn't know if we were still dipping a toe into the PS1 and N64 but mostly 16 bit and older.
    I figure I have a GC and Wii and a lot of the more interesting games for both anyway.

Hopefully it does a convincing line in Amiga and with that I might have something nice, even if the raspberry pi stuff kind of lost me when it stopped being able to be powered from a beefy USB port.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    Yeah, the Pi 4 made a huge jump in performance (mostly thanks to finally updating the GPU in the SoC). I think N64 is still a bit eh, but only because N64 emulation in general is eh so not much can be helped there.

As for Amiga stuff, that's actually been quite playable since the Raspberry Pi 3B+ launched, so you could definitely pick up a Pi, install Amiberry, and set it up as an "Amiga Mini" clone if you wanted. I actually did that for a little bit with a Pi 3, had no troubles running any of the games I tried for it.

7. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    DS, maybe. PSP? Not so much. Most games run well enough, but there's some that don't. Tried playing Ridge Racer and it was a mess.

Between this and Batocera, I've got a busy day ahead of me.

Last edited by Memoir, Apr 28, 2020
  8. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    I didn't say 100% perfect compatibility, I said full speed emulation. As you literally just said, most games run well enough, and the majority are definitely playable at full, or full enough, speed. Obviously there will be games like Ridge Racer or God of War Ghosts of Sparta that have performance issues, but it's definitely not far fetched to call it full speed.

9. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Well enough doesn't mean full speed. Just playable. Only a few of the games I tested ran full speed. Like Tekken Dark Resurrection.

10. Kamiyama

Kamiyama GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    Finally! I've been waiting this since I got mine rpi4 in the it's release. I've tried the github version now and then, but most emulators did run very poorly when my rpi3 in otherhand did run them perfectly fine. Downloading it right now!

11. Solid One

Solid One Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    I was able to beat Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles using PPSSPP on a Raspberry Pi 2. The game ran well enough, at fullspeed in most of the time (although auto frameskip kept oscillating between 1 and 2).

Assuming it was on a RPi2, I wouldn't be surprised if RPi4 runs God of War PSP games at fullspeed, since it has much more firepower compared to older devices.

12. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    Then I'm curious to know what games you've tried, because the vast majority I played near launch of the Pi 4 were basically full speed, including Ratchet and Clank, Daxter, Ape Escape, and parts of Crisis Core (which did have slowdowns when a lot of particles are on screen, but the vast majority of the time was a full 30fps). I dunno if maybe you're using weird settings or if it's cuz of my 2Ghz OC or what, but the majority of titles I tried were full speed.

Ghost of Sparta isn't 60fps just yet last I tried, was only getting around mid 45ish max during most of the game, and the Monster Hunter games also have some issues as well, but other than that I haven't really had any other performance issues.

13. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Dust2#9629

Australia
    Glad to see official support is finally out for the Pi 4. Been sticking with lakka since the performance just seems to be better overall, but I guess I'll have to give this a try now that it's in the open.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  14. bigfatToni

bigfatToni GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    can someone tell me why people buy raspberry pies? I'm genuinely curious

15. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    My system is also overclocked. Granted, it could be my MSD... Simply because even Ratchet and Clank struggled to maintain a consistent FPS through the entire first part of the game. Though, I'd never see it dip below ~22. I'm going to run a fresh install of Retropie and see. I updated a few weeks back and some things went awry.

Last edited by Memoir, Apr 28, 2020
  16. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    Because it's basically a $35 PC. Some people use them as cheap and low power terminals, others for various DIY projects, some for educational use, etc etc.

Most "average" consumers buy them because they make excellent, and cheap, media centers and retro gaming PCs. I have a Pi that acts as a NAS for my house, three for media centers (bedroom, living room, office), and 2 for retro gaming and messing around with.

17. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    They're fun to tinker with, and you can do a lot with one. If you're looking for emulation, the Jetson Nano (I think it's called?) is a better choice.

Silent_Gunner and bigfatToni like this.
  18. bigfatToni

bigfatToni GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    Wowie they sound pretty cool

19. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Could not get some PSP games running well at all (SSX, Crisis Core, Valkyria Chronicles 2) but a few worked okayish. I tend to just use mine as a media center though.

20. Solid One

Solid One Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    GOW Ghost of Sparta ran with 45fps maximum on a RPi 4? Or an older model such as RPi 3?

Assuming you got 45fps max on a RPi 4, is it possible to play it at full speed on frameskip 1 or 2? Because if true, then at least GOW would be fully playable, which is awesome.

21. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    On a Pi 4, with frameskip enabled (I forget which). Granted, I last tested in like August or September, so it may have gotten better or worse with time.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Raspberry, RetroPie, Released