Retroid announces the Pocket 4 and Pocket 4 Pro handheld devices, launches December 21st

retroid.png

A new Retroid device is on the way, offering much-improved performance from its predecessor. The Retroid Pocket 4 and Pocket 4 Pro have been announced, with a release date of December 21st. Packed with a 2.4GHz CPU and 4GB of RAM, the Retroid Pocket 4 retails for $149.99, while the Pro offers a 2.6GHz CPU and 8GB of RAM for $199.99. While orders will open tomorrow, they'll ship on January 15 and January 25 for the Pro and standard models respectively. You can find the full specs listed below.

1. RP4 Pro:
    CPU: 4*[email protected] 4*[email protected] GHz
    GPU: G77 MC9@836MHz
    RAM: 8GB LPDDR4x
    Storage: 128GB UFS 3.1 + TF Card Slot
  2. RP4:
    CPU: 2*[email protected] + 6*[email protected]
    GPU: G68 MC4@900MHz
    RAM: 4GB LPDDR4x
    Storage: 128GB UFS 3.1 + TF Card Slot
  3. Touch screen: 4.7 inch, 750x1334@60fps, 500nits
  4. Heat Dissapation: Active-cooling
  5. 5000mAh battery
  6. Analogue L2/R2
  7. 3D hall sticks
  8. BT 5.2&Wi-Fi 6
  9. Official OTA support for incremental software upgrade

:arrow: Source

MintyForSure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't they launch the 3+ like last month or something? This is all happening too fast.

Will this one be able to run Switch games?
No??
I couldn't think of any reason it would even be able to. The most I can *imagine* this running is Wii games.
Regardless I do agree that they kinda released a different system not too long ago, but the 3+ was more like an upgrade to the 3 so I wouldn't *entirely* count it

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No??
I couldn't think of any reason it would even be able to. The most I can *imagine* this running is Wii games.
Regardless I do agree that they kinda released a different system not too long ago, but the 3+ was more like an upgrade to the 3 so I wouldn't *entirely* count it
It's Android os yuzu has been ported months ago so it is a possibility even at 2Ghz

Reactions: tpax

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
No??
The 3+ can run some Switch games.

So it's possible that the 4+ could run even some more demanding titles.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These kinds of devices are coming out way too frequently. Wonder how many came out in 2023 alone.
What's even more shocking is that people must be buying them since they keep getting produced

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh people buy $300 Nike shoes over the design then do the same thing the next month when another $300 shoe comes out.
Who are these people and are they looking for poor friends?

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Didn't they launch the 3+ like last month or something? This is all happening too fast.

3+ was launched November 2022.

What's even more shocking is that people must be buying them since they keep getting produced

Typically people only buy one, for a while at least. There are many brands because they are mostly produced around the same chip each 'generation' and the market accepts variety because physical configuration of the device tends to be a very personal thing, like say a keyboard or mouse.

For the particular case of RP 4, specially with the Pro version is expected also a significant power boost at its price point, being expected to be able to run nearly all PS2 and GameCube game catalogs.

As for me, I'm still happy with my 2+. I only like to play on it older consoles and then runs fine up to Dreamcast, having a fitting beautiful 4:3 laminated screen.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with the exception of emulation of generally new systems (e. g. Wii, Switch, Dreamcast, Gamecube,) true retro gaming is now perfected in this form factor through FPGA devices like the Analogue Pocket. Devices like the Retroid Pocket are now defunct in my opinion due to this. I guess this would be a lower cost option though?

HiradeGirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with the exception of emulation of generally new systems (e. g. Wii, Switch, Dreamcast, Gamecube,) true retro gaming is now perfected in this form factor through FPGA devices like the Analogue Pocket. Devices like the Retroid Pocket are now defunct in my opinion due to this. I guess this would be a lower cost option though?
Getting the Analogue Pocket where I live is very expensive. I can get a Retroid Pocket 3+ way cheaper.

if only they (Analogue Pocket company, whatever their name is) cared enough to distribute them to other countries.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

These devices come out as frequently as something like phones or GPUs. Theres always gonna be people buying them, and theres always gonna be a new one right around the corner.

For me personally, I think we're reaching my personal sweet spot cuz I've been waiting for something that can play the whole PS2 and Gamecube library with no issues, which the Pocket 4 Pro can apparently do.
Now I just want to see Anbernic make a device with the same chip but in one of their usual metal shells and a 4:3 aspect screen.

Reactions: Megadriver94

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh people buy $300 Nike shoes over the design then do the same thing the next month when another $300 shoe comes out.
Thing is, Air Jordan's have always had a ton of hype and prestige behind them. They're the Apple products of shoes. Whereas here, aside from the Switch and Steam Deck, all the other products in that same pool are from literal nobodies with no prestige behind them at all. It's like people somehow legitimizing the brands that sell products exclusively at struggling dollar stores.

• Wow
Reactions: Megadriver94

Ralkila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point there is no way anyone wouldn't be buying an ayn odin 2, it just does everything and the price is worth it. Although for a little bit more you can get a steam deck but... you're entering the realm of cero portability and handheldness, i would prefer the game boy advance form factor and the power of ayn odin 2. But we haven't reach that yet i guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol