Retroid announces the Pocket 4 and Pocket 4 Pro handheld devices, launches December 21st

retroid.png

A new Retroid device is on the way, offering much-improved performance from its predecessor. The Retroid Pocket 4 and Pocket 4 Pro have been announced, with a release date of December 21st. Packed with a 2.4GHz CPU and 4GB of RAM, the Retroid Pocket 4 retails for $149.99, while the Pro offers a 2.6GHz CPU and 8GB of RAM for $199.99. While orders will open tomorrow, they'll ship on January 15 and January 25 for the Pro and standard models respectively. You can find the full specs listed below.

1. RP4 Pro:
    CPU: 4*[email protected] 4*[email protected] GHz
    GPU: G77 MC9@836MHz
    RAM: 8GB LPDDR4x
    Storage: 128GB UFS 3.1 + TF Card Slot
  2. RP4:
    CPU: 2*[email protected] + 6*[email protected]
    GPU: G68 MC4@900MHz
    RAM: 4GB LPDDR4x
    Storage: 128GB UFS 3.1 + TF Card Slot
  3. Touch screen: 4.7 inch, 750x1334@60fps, 500nits
  4. Heat Dissapation: Active-cooling
  5. 5000mAh battery
  6. Analogue L2/R2
  7. 3D hall sticks
  8. BT 5.2&Wi-Fi 6
  9. Official OTA support for incremental software upgrade

:arrow: Source

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is, Air Jordan's have always had a ton of hype and prestige behind them. They're the Apple products of shoes. Whereas here, aside from the Switch and Steam Deck, all the other products in that same pool are from literal nobodies with no prestige behind them at all. It's like people somehow legitimizing the brands that sell products exclusively at struggling dollar stores.
So DCs, Timberlands, Puma must be like Anbernic, Retroid Pocket, and powkiddy.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems like a great final late xmas gift for me at ;east nintendo won't bother banning imports like they did with the doctor v64
I had surgery yesterday on my head and my ears. Good news, I can now here out of my ear’s although it’s not maximum, meaning I will be also getting hearing aids.

I will be getting one of these simply because it looks fun and way better than the Raspberry Pi 4 I’m currently using.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Whereas here, aside from the Switch and Steam Deck, all the other products in that same pool are from literal nobodies with no prestige behind them at all. It's like people somehow legitimizing the brands that sell products exclusively at struggling dollar stores.
Prestige has to start somewhere though.

And it's not like GoRetroid is an obscure company or new to the game, this is their eight console and they've been around for years. Reviews and experiences with their previous consoles have been very positive. That gives them legitimacy. They're not mainstream, and the average grandma looking for a "gameboy" for little Timmy won't know of them, but the word you're looking for is "niche" and in that niche they're not unknown.
Here's a literal nobody for example, "500 retro games in one" console for $6, no name, no brand, no support, sold exclusively at struggling dollar stores (and Aliexpress, same thing really). I don't think the two can compare.

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't they launch the 3+ like last month or something? This is all happening too fast.

Will this one be able to run Switch games?
It came out a year back in November. It came few months right after the 3, which pissed everyone off since the difference in performance to the 3+ was staggering.

It's not happening too fast; it's to be expected from handheld emulation manufacturers at this point. I'm just playing the waiting game a bit longer, never really know.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We can get all these bootleg gaming devices but can't get a N64 Mini?
They can of course make one, but I guess trying to release one at an affordable price is where the problem comes in.
People arent going to want to pay more than $100 for it when you can buy one of these bootleg devices. And then you have to factor in the two controllers you have to bundle in with the N64 Mini.
I dunno how much room for profit that leaves.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prestige has to start somewhere though.

And it's not like GoRetroid is an obscure company or new to the game, this is their eight console and they've been around for years. Reviews and experiences with their previous consoles have been very positive. That gives them legitimacy. They're not mainstream, and the average grandma looking for a "gameboy" for little Timmy won't know of them, but the word you're looking for is "niche" and in that niche they're not unknown.
Here's a literal nobody for example, "500 retro games in one" console for $6, no name, no brand, no support, sold exclusively at struggling dollar stores (and Aliexpress, same thing really). I don't think the two can compare.
You earn prestige over time and then you sell the Air Jordan. You don't start with the Air Jordan (you literally couldn't, he wasn't about to sign his name away to nobodies), stomp your feet and proclaim, "look how much street cred we have! Now buy our product!" And yes, these guys have made many of these devices, but they still lack such credibility. The average consumer will have never heard of these devices, but they will have heard of the Switch, and very possibly the Stream Deck.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shoe community is huge and people pay some crazy prices, I sold a used pair of nikes last month for $2,000 lol
We need to figure out a way to keep those kind of people from reproducing

Reactions: CallmeBerto

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of these days I might get one of these, since they can already play up to switch and possibly more. I bet when a switch 2 emulator eventually comes out, these portables already have the power to play it. The only difficult part might be if the actual rumored dual screen or whatever it is, is part of the switch 2.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And yes, these guys have made many of these devices, but they still lack such credibility. The average consumer will have never heard of these devices, but they will have heard of the Switch, and very possibly the Stream Deck.
Yes, that's what "niche" means. The average consumer isn't looking for a retro emulation device and won't know the market. And saying "this company isn't as famous as Nintendo" isn't really an argument there.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's what "niche" means. The average consumer isn't looking for a retro emulation device and won't know the market. And saying "this company isn't as famous as Nintendo" isn't really an argument there.
I don't disagree that these are niche at all. I do however question how so many different kinds of these devices can continue to be produced at profits. Seems like a crash in this niche market should be imminent. Or, more simply, I wouldn't invest in any of these companies making these devices today unless their name is Nintendo or Valve, unless, you know, I wanted to just piss my investing money away.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MintyForSure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3+ can run some Switch games.

So it's possible that the 4+ could run even some more demanding titles.

Ah. Wasn't aware of that. I mean I suppose it is a possibility then. I just wasn't expecting a 200$ handheld, the same price the Switch Lite is priced at, to be able to run Switch games. But I suppose that since the games shown in the demonstration are mostly games that are also on PC and not as graphically intense then there's some hope

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I don't disagree that these are niche at all. I do however question how so many different kinds of these devices can continue to be produced at profits. Seems like a crash in this niche market should be imminent. Or, more simply, I wouldn't invest in any of these companies making these devices today unless their name is Nintendo or Valve, unless, you know, I wanted to just piss my investing money away.
Oh, we're not looking to invest into the company, we're just looking at the handhelds. And even if the market collapses tomorrow and the company folds, it won't affect the build quality or specs of the current device.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, we're not looking to invest into the company, we're just looking at the handhelds. And even if the market collapses tomorrow and the company folds, it won't affect the build quality or specs of the current device.
I know we're not looking to do that lol. I'm just speaking to how I don't understand how these nobody companies can afford to release so many of these devices, they certainly aren't all printing money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe but is it worth it?