Question retroarch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by scottay, Aug 12, 2019.

1. scottay
    OP

scottay Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2011
    Hi i have just got my self a new switch with the idea of being able to fill an sd card with emulators and roms to use and another sd card with android just wondering how to do this without getting banned Tia scott

2. Bigkahuna28

Bigkahuna28 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2019
    United States
    If it’s a patched switch above 4.0 then your out of luck

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You need to check via serial number

3. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    If it's patched, you need to keep it on system firmware 4.1.0, then use Deja Vu. You can set up one microSD card with emuNAND and fill it up with NSPs, homebrew, etc. Then set up emuNAND on another microSD card and leave it as close to stock as possible, just for playing legit games online. And finally I think you can use another microSD card for android, but I personally don't know whether Android works on a patched Switch. You can get to Hekate, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't, it probably works fine.

If it's unpatched, you're good to go. Keep your SysNand "clean" for online play, set up emuNAND on one microSD for NSPs & homebrew, and another microSD for android.

Bigkahuna28 likes this.
  4. scottay
    OP

scottay Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2011
    Ok then I'm out of luck the switch is at software 8.1

5. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    In that case it depends on whether or not the Switch is "patched" (this refers to a hardware revision, not software.) Since it's brand new, it's very likely that it's patched, but you may want to check the serial number at IsMySwitchPatched.com . Just in case.

6. scottay
    OP

scottay Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2011
    Nope It is patched so I cant use my switch for what I wanted to play emulators on the go lol

7. pinbi7

pinbi7 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 4, 2004
    Canada
    Its well worth paying the extra if you have to,and getting an unpatched unit

AirbusX likes this.
  8. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    -Sell it
    -Use the profits to get an unpatched switch
    -????
    -Profit

9. scottay
    OP

scottay Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2011
    I'll just hang on to it and wait at some point it will get hacked and I will be able to do what I wanted with it

10. Bigkahuna28

Bigkahuna28 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2019
    United States
    Could take years if ever

EmulateLife likes this.
  11. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    This very well may never happen for 8+. SciresM has said so.

That being said, he also recently got his hands on a patched, 8.0.1 Switch, so maybe he'll figure out an exploit for it.

But if so, he'll most likely wait until the new Switch Lite is out, so that Nintendo won't patch it beforehand.

12. scottay
    OP

scottay Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2011
    Thanks for the help guys

13. scottay
    OP

scottay Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2011
    I've just read that sciresM has already cracked 8.1 and is able to run atmosphere on it is this true please

14. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    No! He will never get 8x running on a patched switch, ever! Else if he does I will eat my dirty socks!

15. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    You can rest assured that if he does crack 8.1, the first place(s) you'll hear about it is either his Github, or the ReSwitched Discord, or his Twitter account.

Which I'm sure will be very quickly followed by a post featured on GBATemp's home page.

16. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    That is true, for unpatched units. Not patched units.