Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

marduk666

THE INFINITE NOOB
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playstations on ebay about 30$ on ebay you can have them modded or get a parallel port cartridge that plays isos, or an action replay or burn discs and hot swap them, every time I look at this thread it's the same thing. PSX PSX PSX PSX

Great to heAR Dosbox is working that opens up a whole new world of games, and headscratching.

SuperNintendo64

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hi
Ive been messing with Retroarch for WiiU for some time
I still have A LOT of problems

I have so many problems with it that im thinking about writing a guide just so less people have trouble with it

But ill have to ask a lot of stuff to you guys

First of all:

- Can somebody point me the latest build in which at least SNES, Genesis, NES and FB are working?
AND has skin/background support

(i thought my build was ok until i tried to run Genesis games.... it just dosent work)

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi
Ive been messing with Retroarch for WiiU for some time
I still have A LOT of problems

I have so many problems with it that im thinking about writing a guide just so less people have trouble with it

But ill have to ask a lot of stuff to you guys

First of all:

- Can somebody point me the latest build in which at least SNES, Genesis, NES and FB are working?
AND has skin/background support

(i thought my build was ok until i tried to run Genesis games.... it just dosent work)
Well I already started such a thing here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/lordelans-retroarch-guide-clean-games-collection-faq.468193/
But there's not much spotlight on that.
Questions as yours are things that I put in the FAQ section. Apart from that I always wanted to write a whole setup guide to put in there as well but was too lazy.
However: To avoid having multiple threads I won't have any problems with it if a mod (@Cyan ?) would give you edit permissions there as well and we remove "lordelan" from the title.

To answer your question: The last stable build was 1.4.1 but most users said that 1.6.0 is stable as well. Haven't found the time to test it till now. Or were you refering to different nightly builds of 1.6.0 (which is the first with skin/background support)?

Edit: Maybe doing a wiki for RetroArch for Wii U would make more sense as anyone could contribute on the fly. I would put what I have till now in there too.

Last edited by lordelan,
Reactions: SuperNintendo64

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi,

I'll gladly add edit rights in an existing tutorial so it can be updated and maintained, instead of having multiple guides for the same thing, with outdated and different information.
I don't know if you really want to provide your help and update the existing guide, but as Lordelan gave his approbation, I added you to the thread's first post as editor. you can edit/rewrite, but try to keep a backup (in case of bug while sending the edited post) and to not delete all the work done by the previous user :P

I also think guide should be written in Wiki.
There has been a lot of time when I couldn't update my own guides, or found other guides which required a fix, and not having access is just too bad. We can always rely on the community to help other people. There are probably users who will write bad or wrong information but that can be fixed anytime.

Last edited by Cyan,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dude, you're a fucking rollercoaster i swear
It's more like the @the_randomizer is a cup half full type of person. Why people can't just be happy with how awesome retroarch is instead of complaining about what it does not do I will never know.

Reactions: niuus

SuperNintendo64

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Thanks for the answer

But to be fair i asked for a tip of a stable build... but i cant find where to download it

(ive checked the first post, looked at the links.. still cant find it
I have a link that i can always download nighlty builds, but the link for the stable one i couldnt find)

Can you give me a direct link for the page with the stable release?

I think a tutorial would be very welcome (well, you see im having trouble even downloading the thing - but im probably a special case)
For people that knows about Retroarch for long it all seems very simple. But for most people its incomprehensible

Even the folder structure on the SD card. I can make it work but its all pretty confuse, my "APPS" folder is a mess

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you find the information too hard to understand, it means it can be improved.
and your view and difficulties can be useful to update the guide, or add new Q/A in the FAQs, etc.
lordelan is still active and can probably do it if you don't feel comfortable with writing or updating a guide. just tell what you find hard to understand or what you'd like to know or find in the guide.

Lordelan, you said you will put your guide to wiki, which URL?

Last edited by Cyan,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Maybe, I'll get to it, and no, not yet.
This is a post related to the TyrQuake issue by @LibretroRetroArc
http://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/page-278#post-7360813

Neogeo Pocket core has endianness issues.

Quake - ever since the FLAC/Ogg Vorbis audio track updates, it no longer compiles for me on PS3. I will have to get it back to compiling again and then see if it still works on PS3. PS3 is big-endian too, so hopefully it wouldn't be too hard getting it to work on WiiU afterwards.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm still not sure. Never set up a wiki on my own to be honest.
Is there a hoster or place you would prefer or advise?
the best place would be on the official website, if they have such features where users can write a tutorial. it takes a lot of time and often developers don't have time to write it themselves.
Developers should document new features, but it's rarely done (I never did it, and ended explaining the same thing multiple time on the forum instead of writing it once ahaha)
letting users who know the program very well write the guide is one less work to do from the developers.

If they don't have a wiki of their own, we can always use wikitemp. I know it's not used often by users, except for compatibility list, but promoting it with guides could help improve its coverage. (not sure I used the correct word here).
the forum has a lot of old outdated tutorial, they can't be updated because the author is not logging anymore. if wikitemp was more known as a place to find guides, maybe it would help maintaining these guides.

That's just an idea. Maybe you don't like the idea of writing it on wikitemp, but you already wrote your guide on gbatemp, so it's the same place.
if you need help with wiki, you can ask. I can create the needed pages or even some templates if you don't know how to do it.

If you want to host your own wiki engine, it will cover only retroarch ? it could be cleaner to make it only for retroarch instead of part of another website like wikitemp, but I don't have any suggestion for a web host. I know only OVH (it's french).

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: lordelan

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yet it has the power to run better N64 and PSX emulators than the Wii did, but that potential will never be utilized. Spending 300 dollars for an Xbox One isn't worth it to me. I started a bounty, it's been stagnant for over a month, and hasn't gone up, what's it going to take, 500 dollars?

It's not necessarily complaining when a true statement is uttered.
Why don't you talk to the guy who made Wiisx about giving him that bounty to just work further on Wiisx? It already works great (DMW3, Twisted Metal, bunch of arcade ports already work perfectly) and is still playable on Wii U (even gamepad just not controllable with it).

Reactions: marduk666

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn