Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the best place would be on the official website, if they have such features where users can write a tutorial. it takes a lot of time and often developers don't have time to write it themselves.
Developers should document new features, but it's rarely done (I never did it, and ended explaining the same thing multiple time on the forum instead of writing it once ahaha)
letting users who know the program very well write the guide is one less work to do from the developers.

If they don't have a wiki of their own, we can always use wikitemp. I know it's not used often by users, except for compatibility list, but promoting it with guides could help improve its coverage. (not sure I used the correct word here).
the forum has a lot of old outdated tutorial, they can't be updated because the author is not logging anymore. if wikitemp was more known as a place to find guides, maybe it would help maintaining these guides.

That's just an idea. Maybe you don't like the idea of writing it on wikitemp, but you already wrote your guide on gbatemp, so it's the same place.
if you need help with wiki, you can ask. I can create the needed pages or even some templates if you don't know how to do it.

If you want to host your own wiki engine, it will cover only retroarch ? it could be cleaner to make it only for retroarch instead of part of another website like wikitemp, but I don't have any suggestion for a web host. I know only OVH (it's french).
There's "just" the libreto wiki officially and I don't find that suiting to be honest so ... yeah I'm completely fine with wikitemp.
You can create simple templates if you want and I fill them up with what I've already got.
I think we would need a main "RetroArch for Wii U" page which explains in one or two sentences what it's all about and (for the start) three subpages:
- install guide (from download to launch)
- playlist/collection guide (which my thread is all about right now)
- FAQ

Since I never set up a wiki it would be great if you would create template pages for those, point me to them and also gimme a link to explanation on how to format things (it has its own design language I guess?) :)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you talk to the guy who made Wiisx about giving him that bounty to just work further on Wiisx? It already works great (DMW3, Twisted Metal, bunch of arcade ports already work perfectly) and is still playable on Wii U (even gamepad just not controllable with it).

Because he's the only one working on the project, and he's very busy, I could contact him on GitHub I suppose, but I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: marduk666

DonCaballero

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys, stupid questions here: I noticed the Neo Geo core has an option to overclock stuff that scales from 100 to 200. Should I just leave it at 200 because it's awesome or will it murder my poor Wii U and/or mess up with some games? And the Neo Geo bios zip file should be in the same folder with the games, right? Doesn't the CPS-2(3) has one of those as well? It's also on the games folder?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@lordelan :
I can create these pages today.

You are right it has his own language, but it's very easy when editing only the page content for text (bold, underline, headers, links are very easy).
What could be harder is "template", it's not the template or schematic of the page, but a shortcut for thing you use often, like compatibility list. instead of using the bare language for each game, you use shortcuts like "work = yes, region = EU" and the template convert it to wiki language to make a nice colored table. it's often used to make a box at the top of the page with the homebrew info (name, icon, developer, link, etc.)
it allows any users who are not familiar with the wiki code to help and add new content quickly without learning how tables are working.

The wiki already has a lot of homebrew (probably missing few, as I didn't work on it for few month, and it seems I'm the only one maintaining that list).
There's retroarch listed in the homebrew emulators list, from here we can create the first page : homebrew description, link to release, quick changelog, etc. (like other homebrew pages for example). on that page you'll add new links to install guide, tutorial, maybe even compat list if needed.

I'm creating the description page, but I don't know retroarch to make a nice page. I'll make a simple and quick one. you can update it after me.

edit:
I created Retroarch page on wiki :
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Retroarch_WiiU

Like I said, I'm not too sure what retroarch really is (front end only?) and libretro (API only to existing emulators or specific emulators version for retroarch?)
I wrote a description, and made some section which requires you to fill in the blank.
let me know if you need help.

just click "edit" and write your text. if you want to force a new line, you need to type Enter twice. press preview before saving and write a description of your page update.

Last edited by Cyan,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@lordelan :
I can create these pages today.

You are right it has his own language, but it's very easy when editing only the page content for text (bold, underline, headers, links are very easy).
What could be harder is "template", it's not the template or schematic of the page, but a shortcut for thing you use often, like compatibility list. instead of using the bare language for each game, you use shortcuts like "work = yes, region = EU" and the template convert it to wiki language to make a nice colored table. it's often used to make a box at the top of the page with the homebrew info (name, icon, developer, link, etc.)
it allows any users who are not familiar with the wiki code to help and add new content quickly without learning how tables are working.

The wiki already has a lot of homebrew (probably missing few, as I didn't work on it for few month, and it seems I'm the only one maintaining that list).
There's retroarch listed in the homebrew emulators list, from here we can create the first page : homebrew description, link to release, quick changelog, etc. (like other homebrew pages for example). on that page you'll add new links to install guide, tutorial, maybe even compat list if needed.

I'm creating the description page, but I don't know retroarch to make a nice page. I'll make a simple and quick one. you can update it after me.

edit:
I created Retroarch page on wiki :
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Retroarch_WiiU

Like I said, I'm not too sure what retroarch really is (front end only?) and libretro (API only to existing emulators or specific emulators version for retroarch?)
I wrote a description, and made some section which requires you to fill in the blank.
let me know if you need help.

just click "edit" and write your text. if you want to force a new line, you need to type Enter twice. press preview before saving and write a description of your page update.
Fantastic, thanks! I'll look into that soon! :)

Edit: @Cyan I started by adding the FAQ section which worked out very well.
Is it possible to mention/link gbatemp members there like it is here with the @?

Edit 2: Another thing I definitely need is something like the CODE tags here.

Last edited by lordelan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for the code tag, you can add a space in the front of the line

<space>line 1
<space>line 2
it will make a new block of 2 lines.
it's not colored, but it's making the same effect than your post on the forum.

to link to a user, you need a special link, like this :
[[User:Cyan|name you want to display]

the "name you want" is usually the same than the link's page.
it can be different in case of long name, or special character.

example :
[[User:mr-mysterio|Mr.Mysterio]]
it will display "Mr.Mysterio" on the wiki, but will link to the wiki page named "mr-mysterio" (which doesn't exist, so it will be displayed in red), if it existed it would automatically redirect to the user's profile on the forum.

Example 2:
the first one correspond to the wiki page of the same name, which exist, so it's blue :
[[User:Cyan|Cyan]]
User:Cyan links to -> https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Cyan, but it's doing an automatic redirection to link to the forum's profile instead of loading the wiki's page. it doesn't redirect if you load it directly without "User:".
| Cyan : displayed text on the link

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
for the code tag, you can add a space in the front of the line

<space>line 1
<space>line 2
it will make a new block of 2 lines.
it's not colored, but it's making the same effect than your post on the forum.

to link to a user, you need a special link, like this :
[[User:Cyan|name you want to display]

the "name you want" is usually the same than the link's page.
it can be different in case of long name, or special character.

example :
[[User:mr-mysterio|Mr.Mysterio]]
it will display "Mr.Mysterio" on the wiki, but will link to the wiki page named "mr-mysterio" (which doesn't exist, so it will be displayed in red), if it existed it would automatically redirect to the user's profile on the forum.

Example 2:
the first one correspond to the wiki page of the same name, which exist, so it's blue :
[[User:Cyan|Cyan]]
User:Cyan links to -> https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Cyan, but it's doing an automatic redirection to link to the forum's profile instead of loading the wiki's page. it doesn't redirect if you load it directly without "User:".
| Cyan : displayed text on the link
Guess that's all I needed to know for now. Thanks again Cyan. :)

Edit: Link to RetroArch wiki can be found in my signature now.

Edit 2: @Cyan I might still misunderstood you.
I tried this but I want it to point to ploggy's forum profile:
Code:
[[User:ploggy|ploggy]]

Last edited by lordelan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That link is good on your page.

When you create an account, the Wiki automatically creates the corresponding user's "special:" page named : "User:<username>"
I think if that account name doesn't exit on wiki, you can create it manually. It might conflict in case that user later want to create the account using the same name, but I'm not sure.

Usually, it's that page that we should use as personal wiki page, but to make it easier, all account's page (the "wiki/users:<name>") have a command to redirect to "wiki/<name>" OR to the forum's profile in case there's no user's page.
for example, the https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/User:Cyan automatically redirects to https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Cyan
If I didn't have a "wiki/Cyan" page, I could make "User:Cyan" to redirect to the forum instead.

So, what you have to do is :
1. load https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/User:Ploggy

2. Select "create" to create that page, and write only this line :
#REDIRECT [[https://gbatemp.net/members/ploggy.98665/]]

save the page.

Now it will automatically redirects to the forum's profile.

Last edited by Cyan,

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone have any luck running C64? (.tap Tape files)
I get a loading screen but then blank forever. The same with Spectrum.
Thanks!

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That link is good on your page.

When you create an account, the Wiki automatically creates the corresponding user's "special:" page named : "User:<username>"
I think if that account name doesn't exit on wiki, you can create it manually. It might conflict in case that user later want to create the account using the same name, but I'm not sure.

Usually, it's that page that we should use as personal wiki page, but to make it easier, all account's page (the "wiki/users:<name>") have a command to redirect to "wiki/<name>" OR to the forum's profile in case there's no user's page.
for example, the https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/User:Cyan automatically redirects to https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Cyan
If I didn't have a "wiki/Cyan" page, I could make "User:Cyan" to redirect to the forum instead.

So, what you have to do is :
1. load https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/User:Ploggy

2. Select "create" to create that page, and write only this line :
#REDIRECT [[https://gbatemp.net/members/ploggy.98665/]]

save the page.

Now it will automatically redirects to the forum's profile.
I tried but it still isn't redirecting. :unsure:
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/User:Ploggy

Reactions: ploggy

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, it's my fault. I found the issue, it required a special URL.
#REDIRECT [[gbatemp:members/ploggy.98665/]]

gbatemp:members/ instead of the HTTP URL.

I fixed it already.
Alright, thx. :)

Edit: Sorry for that big amount of edits on the RetroArch page. I hope you don't get notification spam mails for that. :D
I should make more use of the preview feature. :sleep:

I feel special. :)
You are. Keep giving good answers and your "special level" keeps raising. :D

Last edited by lordelan,
Reactions: ploggy

DonCaballero

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys, stupid questions here: I noticed the Neo Geo core has an option to overclock stuff that scales from 100 to 200. Should I just leave it at 200 because it's awesome or will it murder my poor Wii U and/or mess up with some games? And the Neo Geo bios zip file should be in the same folder with the games, right? Doesn't the CPS-2(3) has one of those as well? It's also on the games folder?

Hey I know everyone loves when someone bumps a question, but come on this Neo Geo overclock thing is killing me. I'm this close to playing Metal Slug on that atrocious Wii collection, don't do that to me guys.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey I know everyone loves when someone bumps a question, but come on this Neo Geo overclock thing is killing me. I'm this close to playing Metal Slug on that atrocious Wii collection, don't do that to me guys.
your not overclocking the wiiu cpu lol but the neo geo cpu lol the wiiu cpu cant be overclocked at all through retroarch or any other tol atm lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I think that listening to the same 15 songs on the music player in my dad's car all the time made me kind of hate "normal" music.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, them use your hands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Those are tired from last night
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop touching yourself
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wasn't
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then stop doing whatever you were doing last night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Uremum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    -insert uremum joke here-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too late
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I seen a bunny rabbit get swept up and taken by a hawk yesterday in my back yard, it left a bunch of rabbit hair in grass. Wild to see it fly off carrying a rabbit.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, was Luke that Bunny rabbit?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it was a small rabbit without lipstick, or no UFO propaganda
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was Leo the hawk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't see any kissing and loving, so prob not
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    True hawks have more pride
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [awaits K3Nv2's remarks for me] :unsure:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, would be a better lover to luke he knows how to get in personal space better
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [sips my ☕ ]
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The other night was watching tv in my screened in porch, and heard something walking on my porch roof, thought maybe it was a raccoon, so I grabbed my rifle and went out to look, it was just a duck, lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shoot the duck free meal
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not allowed here in Ohio without Duck hunting permit, n it not in season yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just say it was trespassing and you thought it was ancientboi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We can shoot racoon, possums, skunks, cayottes tho
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: We can shoot racoon, possums, skunks, cayottes tho +1