RetroArch Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by ShadowOne333, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Justin_Credible81

Justin_Credible81 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    It needs to be a Switch game not a rom I believe. Is KOF 98 a Switch game or a rom? It should be a game like Breath of the Wild, and hold R when starting it. You'll know it worked because instead of starting the game it'll go to the homebrew menu.

What CFW are you using?

Last edited by Justin_Credible81, Apr 19, 2019
  2. Pepepuhn

Pepepuhn Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2013
    Germany
    I am using Atmosphere. It is the Switch Game of KOF 98 from the eShop. Homebrew menu does work.

So I now updated Retroarch to the latest version, and said games start and seem playable. The Mupen64Plus-Next core was also already bundled in the Retroarch archive.

However some games seem to work better with the normal Mupen64Plus core and while others don't.

Anyway thanks for your help :)

Edit: Majora's Mask still does not work with the Mupen64Plus-Next core.

Last edited by Pepepuhn, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Justin_Credible81

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    I don't believe mx4w addded the latest mupen64plus-next that was on his twitter to Retroarch nightlies. If that's true and you overwrote it you're back to an older build.

4. Pepepuhn

Pepepuhn Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2013
    Germany
    Ok, I added the core from . However this one won't start any roms.
    What am I doing wrong?

5. Justin_Credible81

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    I have no idea, works for me.

6. Pepepuhn

Pepepuhn Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2013
    Germany
    Do I need seperate entries for mupen64plus-next in the "retroarch-core-options.cfg" ?

Can anyone tell me, what the difference is between the next core and the normal mupen64plus core?

Edit: So I am thinking the problem might be that King of Fighters 98 and Switch Photo Album won't allow to use full RAM access.
    So my question: Which title does allow full RAM access, without me having to update my switch firmware? Currently I am on 3.01.

Edit #2: Ok, so I got myself a real cartridge of Super Mario Odyssey and now it works!

Last edited by Pepepuhn, Apr 20, 2019
  7. uzimakiuchiha

uzimakiuchiha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    Can this thread get stickied since it's the go-to for retroarch updates on switch?

8. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Could be cool, but it's always on the first page of this forum anyway, not hard to locate.

M4xw: said: “Keep in mind that overclocking on 8.0 is currently not functional. This affects RA and sys-clk”

stick267 likes this.
  9. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    It’s possible run hbl on 8.0.0 at all?
    Oh oh

Last edited by cucholix, Apr 20, 2019
  10. Justin_Credible81

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Probably since Atmosphere just came out with 8.0 support.

11. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    I wonder what happens if a core is overclocked in override settings and you use 8.0. That could crash RA or just ignore OC?

12. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    Made the experiment myself lol, nothing happens, it will just show current clock "0" if your core is OC

13. ole

ole Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    Norway
    Why is “CPU Overclock” only available when playing example an N64 game, and not when playing other emulators or even no core loaded?

Also since it’s only available in that core, shouldn’t it be in the core specific sub menu?

14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It’s available in all cores. It sounds like your other cores and loader are outdated.

Ty_ likes this.
  15. dishins

dishins Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2016
    Brazil
    is there any way to launch retroarch from nsp AND keep full ram support? all the times i tried i only got full ram support while launching from hbmenu

16. ole

ole Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    Norway
    Okey, I will have to try and update. Thanks.

And one more, where is the .nsp file ?

This retroarch link says that its available on the Download pages. But I can't find any nsp file there?

17. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    It should be available for every core. I underclock often for systems that came before N64.

18. TerpToke

TerpToke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2018
    United States
    Ohigho
    Very random issue...updated to 8.0.0, and now my over clock for RA, latest mupen64next core, is stuck at 0? I can't get it to change no matter what I try, any suggestions?

19. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    Overclocking is currently broken on 8.0.0, only works with sys-clk.

20. straKK

straKK Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2014
    United States
    can someone help me with playing pc-engine CD games on retroarch. None of the ones I'm trying work. I just get a black screen when using beetle fast or supergrafx.

I have the BIOS, which loads fine, but the games don't work.