Homebrew Retroarch is driving me mad, please help

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not understanding this thing. Let's start saying that I need this only to run NES, SNES and maybe some Neo Geo and Game Boy game.

I tried FCEUmm and is basically perfect.
Tried SNES9X and SNES9X Next, they both run great (tested DKC and DKC2) but Next has some very noticeable video artifacts. So, I would just stick to SNES9X, but if you tell me that Next is better, well, I'll need the right settings for it... If I recall correctly people recommended Next over regular 9X in RA..
I still havent' tested Neo Geo and GB.

What I'm not understanding is how saving your configuration works. I simply want a different configuration per core, so one for FCEUmm and one for SNES9X. This is crucial, especially for input settings. I'll describe my steps for changing input keys for SNES9X:

open retroarch
load content (already set the path for roms), I load DKC
press home to bring RA menu
options
core input remapping options
I remap the buttons
press back
press back
save new config (I don't believe is necessary, it should save them automatically, but I found out that if I don't save them the result I get is exactly the same as if I save them..), it tells me that my configuration is saved in a snes9x_libretro_wii.cfg file
optional: play the game with the remapped inputs

the problem is, if I quit RA/load another core then reopen RA/reload SNES9x, RA doesn't load my snes9x_libretro_wii.cfg, instead it shows me is still using retroarch.cfg. So settings actually are SAVED, but NOT USED by RA. If from RA menu i go to configurations, then manually select snes9x_libretro_wii.cfg, RA briefly freeze, restarts itself and then it still shows retroarch.cfg as the configuration file is using.

That's not all. Settings under "settings" are indeed saved correctly, as they are effective for every core (at least that's what I *think*). Under "options", nothing is saved.

I tried both deleting every .cfg file and changing the config directory path from RA, apparently nothing works.

Other issues I got with RA: when changing settings, sometimes it

freezes
get stuck at "search"
(I think it's expecting some keyboard input...)
it switches from 4:3 to 16:9 and you can't put it back to 4:3 and have to manually select 4:3 from the TV remote

Plus, I read that you'd better use RA with your Wii setted in 4:3 since in 16:9 RA scales the image in a weird way and the image gets 6% wider. Is that true?

I put the questions/issues in bold, if anyone else is using Retroarch correctly with these cores, please help :( I don't wanna use anything else than RA atm, I tried other NES and SNES emulators/VC official wads and they had various other problems and/or performance issues.

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Of course, I also tried to use the option "save game remap file" in options-core input remapping options. It doesn't work either.

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, while I was at it I updated RA to 1.2.2.

I solved the input problem. You have to save input remapping options manually after you change them, then load this file with the new inputs every time you load the core... Unless you set "automatically load core remapped inputs" or something like that in some sub-menu.

I solved the "video artifacts" problem in snes9x next, for some reason snes9x next doesn't like "crop overscan" turned off, so I turned it on...

Now I've got two problems left:

_yoshi's island isn't running at full speed, especially in title screen; I tried some "fx overclock" settings but I'm not noticing improvements. I know this game uses the fx chips and is harder to emulate at full speed, I'm asking if this is the expected behaviour on RA Wii. If not, which setting should I tweak to improve performance?
_I want a custom aspect ratio, and for some reason I have to set it manually every single time I start the game. It doesn't stick, I tried to save the new config as a new .cfg file, and I've got the problem stated before: this .cfg isn't loaded, OR if it's loaded the custom aspect ratio isn't saved (as well as custom resolution). If I load it manually, RA reboots and shows that is still using retroarch.cfg instead of snes9xetcetc.cfg

D

Deleted User

I remember users at the libretro forum saying that disabling V-sync improves performance on the snes core. I can't verify now because the site is down.

The custom resolutions are not saved at the new version iirc, just use the 1.0.0.2 for that, that version saves the custom res.

I have some config files for arcade games, because I play with the wiimote, and I load those without any problems, but on the older one. The 1.2.2 is still really buggy on some aspects.

Bishopwii

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, select 4:3 in your main wii settings as this will provide a less stretched experienced. Get the latest RA. You have buttons sorted cool. Using "bind all" on each core works best. Select your resolution. For snes 512x448 and restart core. There's no need to save cfg. This us done automatically. Nes core requires overscan off. Yoshis island is just slow now down to high performance. Any help I need post me. I've been following retroarch since it began

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So, while I was at it I updated RA to 1.2.2.

I solved the input problem. You have to save input remapping options manually after you change them, then load this file with the new inputs every time you load the core... Unless you set "automatically load core remapped inputs" or something like that in some sub-menu.

I solved the "video artifacts" problem in snes9x next, for some reason snes9x next doesn't like "crop overscan" turned off, so I turned it on...

Now I've got two problems left:

_yoshi's island isn't running at full speed, especially in title screen; I tried some "fx overclock" settings but I'm not noticing improvements. I know this game uses the fx chips and is harder to emulate at full speed, I'm asking if this is the expected behaviour on RA Wii. If not, which setting should I tweak to improve performance?
_I want a custom aspect ratio, and for some reason I have to set it manually every single time I start the game. It doesn't stick, I tried to save the new config as a new .cfg file, and I've got the problem stated before: this .cfg isn't loaded, OR if it's loaded the custom aspect ratio isn't saved (as well as custom resolution). If I load it manually, RA reboots and shows that is still using retroarch.cfg instead of snes9xetcetc.cfg

One more thing. When selecting resolution press the button on your pad to activate it. Then simply reload ur core. Resolution saved

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, Yoshi's Island decreased in performance with latest snes9x next core. With RA 1.0.0.2 everything runs smoothly. A solution is to compile snes9x next from the time RA 1.0.0.2 was released, then build it again with RA 1.2.2.

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, select 4:3 in your main wii settings as this will provide a less stretched experienced. Get the latest RA. You have buttons sorted cool. Using "bind all" on each core works best. Select your resolution. For snes 512x448 and restart core. There's no need to save cfg. This us done automatically. Nes core requires overscan off. Yoshis island is just slow now down to high performance. Any help I need post me. I've been following retroarch since it began

One more thing. When selecting resolution press the button on your pad to activate it. Then simply reload ur core. Resolution saved
Thanks for your reply.

No, the resolution is not saved, just like the custom aspect ratio. I'm using RA 1.2.2 and I followed your steps carefully

Edit: nvm, it finally worked. I applied the new resolution (without any game loaded), then quitted RA, then reopened and the resolution was saved. Thanks a lot, you're a lifesaver. I haven't tried that custom ratio thing but with the resolution you gave me I no longer need it.

While we're at it, which resolution you recommend for NES (FCEumm)?

Yes, Yoshi's Island decreased in performance with latest snes9x next core. With RA 1.0.0.2 everything runs smoothly. A solution is to compile snes9x next from the time RA 1.0.0.2 was released, then build it again with RA 1.2.2.
Oh, it would be great. It really runs almost at full speed in 1.0.0.2? I only tested it in 1.2.2

Last edited by marchrius,

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember users at the libretro forum saying that disabling V-sync improves performance on the snes core. I can't verify now because the site is down.

The custom resolutions are not saved at the new version iirc, just use the 1.0.0.2 for that, that version saves the custom res.

I have some config files for arcade games, because I play with the wiimote, and I load those without any problems, but on the older one. The 1.2.2 is still really buggy on some aspects.
Hi,
just tried 1.0.0.2 and indeed yoshi's island runs great. Problem is, you say that I should be able to save custom resolutions here, but I can't do that. Following Bishopwii instructions, every time I reopen retroarch 1.0.0.2, the resolution is back to 640x480

Another issue, I'm not getting how remapping buttons works... I found the menu, but when I'm supposed to press the key to register the new button, nothing happens and buttons are not recognized (except for home, which brings me back to the game), I'm basically stuck with the default buttons configuration (and is a really bad one).

whoah, RA sure is such a cumbersome software..

edit: I found out what you meant. Fixed resolution won't save, I have to set the resolution through custom aspect ratio. That one actually saves.

The problem with input apparently applies to wiimote only. A classic or a GC controller are fine. Guess I can map buttons to wii remote by manually editing some files...

aaand I get a new problem with NES cores in 1.0.0.2: none of them has my favorite color palette: the nintendo-vc one. So much issues, lol.

Overall my favorite RA version is 1.2.1: is the most stable and less cumbersome to me. If someone could compile the SNES9X NEXT core from 1.0.0.2 on the 1.2.1, that would make me really happy. I'm willing to even pay you for this work.

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I kinda solved my problems, see here for reference: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2234&page=24&p=28228&viewfull=1#post28228

Now I remapped the wii remote for using with nes and snes emus. For snes is ok with most games (1 = Y, 2 = B, A = A, B = X, + and - = start and select), for nes is perfect (1 = B, 2= A, + and - = start and select), for some snes games I would need a different configuration especially since the wii remote hasn't enough buttons to map the snes controller shoulder buttons. I wanted to remap the GC controller, but I'm not able to do that since when I connect it, the buttons aren't responsive in retroarch except for the d-pad.

Anyone knows how to remap the GC controller by manually editing the retroarch.cfg file? Keep in mind I'm using an old version of snes9x next core, so "core input remapping" (quick menu - core input remapping options) isn't available. I only have access to settings - input, input user 1 binds ecc.

Plus, is possible to play multiplayer games (2 players) with a wiimote and a GC controller? Everytime I connect the GC controller, the wiimote just become unresponsive.

D

Deleted User

The palette of the vc was on a custom .dol for 1.0.0.2 and the user Supersonic made it iirc. I downloaded the .dol file from here and it works great.

1.2 version of RA indeed saves the 240p resolutions on my case.

About buttons mapping, in 1.2 you can actually remap from the menu of RA but is confusing because it doesn't give you the actual buttons for the wiimote, instead you get X, Y, B, A and I haven't figured which they are.

Last edited by ,

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the reply. I already tried the custom dol for 1.0.0.2, works great but famicom disk games crash, while they work fine on 1.2+

I managed to get almost everything working, I'll post the updates. Sadly, FFIII (VI) is not working properly, the audio is garbled after the first battle... not a big deal but it's weird since it's not something listed on the issue slist for snes9x next: http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Nintendo_SNES_Core_Compatibility#SNES9x_Next

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the reply. I already tried the custom dol for 1.0.0.2, works great but famicom disk games crash, while they work fine on 1.2+

I managed to get almost everything working, I'll post the updates. Sadly, FFIII (VI) is not working properly, the audio is garbled after the first battle... not a big deal but it's weird since it's not something listed on the issue slist for snes9x next: http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Nintendo_SNES_Core_Compatibility#SNES9x_Next
About the sound issues, turn off V-sync, although I don't know how much that'll affect gameplay.

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My .cfg files:

https://app.box.com/s/dwip3puopnjfom9ribxsu6vn2fd2588k

my wii screen mode is HDTV 16:9 480p. For NES (fceumm), settings are:

audio rate: 320000
palette: nintendo VC (personal preference)
resolution: 512x480
aspect ratio: 6:5 (odd, but I think is quite accurate, at least for super mario bros. games)
crop overscan: off
buttons: wiimote and GC controller all default, toggle RA menu with C stick down (GC controller)

For SNES (snes9x next):

audio rate: 32000
fx overclock: 20 mhz
resolution: 512x448
aspect ratio: 5:4 (tested with super mario world and all-stars)
crop overscan: on
buttons: wiimote not configured, GC controller configured that way
-----------
SNES___GC
Y______B
B______A
A______X
X______Y
d-pad__d-pad
L/R____L/R
start___start
select__Z