Retroarch GBA GpSp thread - screen garbage/glitches

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Lordbarker, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Lordbarker
    OP

Lordbarker Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2016
    Hi all

Have Retroarch running well. However on the gba emulator the top of the screen often flickers and occasionally throws out a it of garbage. I've used RA for a long time on PC, and all other threads are fine on 3DS so assume it might be just the nature of gpSP, but wondered if there were any settings in the emulator that might fix this? As it's slightly off-putting whilst playing.

Thank you.

2. N64

N64 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    same issue here with nightly 2/6... would love a solution that does not require a rollback to a previous build from before november

3. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I'm using the stable release and I've never had that problem. What settings are you using? Also, is your ROM clean?

4. N64

N64 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    rom is clean. it doesn't occur on every ROM though, it seems to only occur on SMA4 - Super Mario 3.
    I'm using default out of the box settings. Didn't change them any

5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    SMB3 is one of the few games I've played on there and never had an issue. My graphical settings are: all filters off, integer scaling on, and everything else default.

6. N64

N64 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    with the latest 1.3 nightly? I think I'm using one from February 6th (3DSX versions). After browsing heavily through the Retroarch thread, I was able to find a cia of gpsp from November that works fine w/o the graphical glitch.

Are you using 3dsx or cia? Maybe that's one place I can start by installing the latest nightly and seeing how it goes.

7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Like I mentioned, I'm using the stable release, not any of the nightly builds. I'm using CIA.

8. TheAggrivator

TheAggrivator Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    I am using the most recent nightly CIA version. I encountered the glitch while playing zero mission, fusion, and aria of sorrow. To fix it I just selected the 2xSaI filter. I once I did this it went away and did not experience any framerate drop.

9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I can't test those as they don't run fullspeed on o3DS.

10. TheAggrivator

TheAggrivator Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    Retroarch as a whole doesn't run full speed on o3ds. I am on a new 3ds and it does run full speed, even with the aforementioned filter. GBA emulation on old 3ds is atrocious.

11. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    A few games do. I've been using it for SMB3 and Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land.

In other news, I disabled integer scaling and the crap at the top started showing up. So if you really want it scaled on o3DS, I guess you're out of luck as it's not going to be powerful enough to run a filter.

12. tatundria

tatundria GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2009
    Argentina
    FFV (sound restoration patched) gba rom used to work flawlessly on gpsp 3ds until Nov 9 nightly build. Since then, it started flickering and suddenly freezing. Any fix for this?

13. matt!

matt! GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2009
    I'm seeing two issues

A
    Numerous flashing rows across the screen, about 10 pixels from the top. Looks like screen tearing as it doesn't appear on the composite when I open the menu.

Workaround: Settings > Video > Frame Delay = 1

B
    And with integer scaling on and bilinear filtering off I'm also seeing "noise" that kind of looks like dithering (but isn't) across the whole screen. Send to be scaling related?

Workaround: set aspect ratio to 30:17

Video filters don't help.

I'm on 1.4.1 stable CIAs

Last edited by matt!, Feb 22, 2017