Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Zebetite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me with exact settings for Genesis Plus GX and Snes9x to get a stable framerate? They're running at 15-20 fps no matter what I tinker with. I'm on a New 3DS XL.

If this has already been asked, sorry! I searched and had no luck.

ajfoucault

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me with exact settings for Genesis Plus GX and Snes9x to get a stable framerate? They're running at 15-20 fps no matter what I tinker with. I'm on a New 3DS XL.

Just use the *.cia versions instead of the 3dx ones. Run them from the home menu. You should get 60fps using those two emulators.

Zebetite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use the *.cia versions instead of the 3dx ones. Run them from the home menu. You should get 60fps using those two emulators.
I get what you're saying, but that doesn't answer my question. Given the choice, unless there isn't another solution I'd rather work with what I have rather than learn the process of installing custom firmware and so forth.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Which SNES core are you using? SNES9X 2002 and 2005 both run better on the New 3DS due to being based on earlier builds of SNES9X, whereas the SNES9X (no year) core is based on a more modern code base and therefore runs slower. The tradeoff for that speed is less compatibility, but still good enough to play most games.

Generally speaking, which build version are you using? I'm still using the 1.4.1 builds, and Genesis Plus GX still runs at fullspeed for most games, although Sega CD games will slow down due to Gen Plus GX being a more accurate emulator and having to emulate CD reading and whatnot, basically. If this slowdown has been introduced in the new 1.5.0 versions, then I have no idea, because I'm not using that version. The 1.4.1 builds are still working well enough for my tastes, hence why I haven't updated.

Zebetite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried disabling the sound? That might help. And put frameskipping to 3.
Tried that, it worked, so did turning off audio sync, and I got to about 50 fps for a while. Then I changed some setting to tweak and now it's at 28-30. Trial and error woohoo!

Which SNES core are you using? SNES9X 2002 and 2005 both run better on the New 3DS due to being based on earlier builds of SNES9X, whereas the SNES9X (no year) core is based on a more modern code base and therefore runs slower. The tradeoff for that speed is less compatibility, but still good enough to play most games.

Generally speaking, which build version are you using? I'm still using the 1.4.1 builds, and Genesis Plus GX still runs at fullspeed for most games, although Sega CD games will slow down due to Gen Plus GX being a more accurate emulator and having to emulate CD reading and whatnot, basically. If this slowdown has been introduced in the new 1.5.0 versions, then I have no idea, because I'm not using that version. The 1.4.1 builds are still working well enough for my tastes, hence why I haven't updated.

I loaded up Snes9x 2010, but I have no preference, so I'll take your word on that.

I'm also using the 1.41 builds, mostly because that's the one I downloaded and didn't know there was newer. Could I ask you to post or PM me your settings? If it works for you it'll work for me, same hardware after all. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Zebetite,

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tried that, it worked, so did turning off audio sync, and I got to about 50 fps for a while. Then I changed some setting to tweak and now it's at 28-30. Trial and error woohoo!

I loaded up Snes9x 2010, but I have no preference, so I'll take your word on that.

I'm also using the 1.41 builds, mostly because that's the one I downloaded and didn't know there was newer. Could I ask you to post or PM me your settings? If it works for you it'll work for me, same hardware after all. Thanks for your help!

Default settings should be sufficient. Most roms will run fine. But if you care to share other optimal settings, i made a thread for that.

do0ob

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
hello guys, i am having DOSBOX issue - maybe anyone can help? i have old3ds XL (11.3.0-36e after updating, i installed homebrew launcher, FBI and luma from 11.2.0 with help of great soundhax). so far so good but if i try to run DOSBOX from retroarch (i tried both nightbulids and stable and both .3dsx and .cia files) it always get stucked. if i run it from homebrew menu i always got red screen in lower screen / and if i try to run it as installed .cia file it got stucked on official nintendo 3ds animation screen. i found some users already reported this issue but still no solution? (https://gbatemp.net/threads/windows-95-on-n3ds.407539/page-11). is there any chance to run dosbox @ old3ds xl? thnx for info..

Zebetite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Default settings should be sufficient. Most roms will run fine. But if you care to share other optimal settings, i made a thread for that.
If Sonic the Hedgehog, the first game, is unplayably slow on the default settings, then no, they are not sufficient. Hence why I'm here.

xxangelxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

use older 3dsx Version for 60fps on n3ds . The 1.4- 1.5 3dsx versions run only on luma cfw with full speed. With sysnand they are broken, on n3ds only o3ds speed -> 25fps^^

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If Sonic the Hedgehog, the first game, is unplayably slow on the default settings, then no, they are not sufficient. Hence why I'm here.

Let me rephrase this. The default settings from RetroArch 1.5.0 running the .cia version of the 'Genesis Plus GX' core, ARE sufficient to run Sonic the Hedgehog at full 60fps on a New3DS.

If this isn't the case for you, you need to look at HOW you run RetroArch.

Like xxangelxx said, you need to make sure you run RetroArch at New3DS speeds. If you don't want to properly setup a CFW, your choice, but the RetroArch settings can't help you here.

Zebetite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me rephrase this. The default settings from RetroArch 1.5.0 running the .cia version of the 'Genesis Plus GX' core, ARE sufficient to run Sonic the Hedgehog at full 60fps on a New3DS.

If this isn't the case for you, you need to look at HOW you run RetroArch.

Like xxangelxx said, you need to make sure you run RetroArch at New3DS speeds. If you don't want to properly setup a CFW, your choice, but the RetroArch settings can't help you here.
Fair enough, I guess. If you could point me towards a CFW I'll look into it and be on my way.

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Use this guide to install a9lh with Luma.
https://3ds.guide/

Or you could try NTR, which gives you the ability to change speeds 'on the fly'.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-bootntr-selector.432911/

I've tested Sonic the Hedgehog (zipped) using NTR:

Genesis Plus GX:
Old3DS - 25fps
New3DS - 60fps, minor screen tearing

Picodrive:
Old3DS - 56fps, with a lot of framedrops
New3DS - 60fps

Genesis plus GX suffers from screen tearing, picodrive runs near perfect (New3DS)

Zebetite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, fellas.Your help's much appreciated. Just went with GX because I recognized it. I'll bug you if I have any more questions.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use this guide to install a9lh with Luma.
https://3ds.guide/

Or you could try NTR, which gives you the ability to change speeds 'on the fly'.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-bootntr-selector.432911/

I've tested Sonic the Hedgehog (zipped) using NTR:

Genesis Plus GX:
Old3DS - 25fps
New3DS - 60fps, minor screen tearing

Picodrive:
Old3DS - 56fps, with a lot of framedrops
New3DS - 60fps

Genesis plus GX suffers from screen tearing, picodrive runs near perfect (New3DS)
odd. I run it on O3ds with a solid 60fps with picodrive. Do you disable audio sync?

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
odd. I run it on O3ds with a solid 60fps with picodrive. Do you disable audio sync?

All settings are default, audio sync is on. I've used a N3DS set to O3DS speed, performance could be slightly different from a actual O3DS.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All settings are default, audio sync is on. I've used a N3DS set to O3DS speed, performance could be slightly different from a actual O3DS.
I have found turning audio sync off helps alot with performance across retroarch emulators in general. Haven't noticed any impact from turning it off, either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...