Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You need to dump your DSP files using DSP Dumper. Takes 2 seconds and you'll get 20-30 extra fps when you switch audio driver to DSP instead of ctrsnd. Audio will still suck on most games, but framerate will improve drastically.

I'm playing Chrono Cross right now. Holds around 50-60fps, though audio is still bad. I haven't play through more than the intro, but I had 60fps in-engine for FFT, though I didn't try audio. DoDonPachi is 60fps with great audio.

Edit: Just tried FFT with audio. Only getting between 40-50fps, but that's completely playable for this game. Audio is much better than Chrono Cross.

Are you doing something different than I am? I dumped DSP and set the audio driver to it.

For FFT I'm getting frame rates in the 19-25 range. :(

I have only tried FFT and FF7, but I'm not noticing any improvement at all.

Last edited by regnad,
Reactions: freedeess

freedeess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you doing something different than I am? I dumped DSP and set the audio driver to it.

For FFT I'm getting frame rates in the 19-25 range. :(

I have only tried FFT and FF7, but I'm not noticing any improvement at all.

I just used DspDump on mine as well, and I'm not noticing much / any difference either. I'm pretty sure the dump worked correctly, as there's now a file called dspfirm.cdc in /3ds. I switched RetroArch to the "dsp" audio option, but Castlevania is still around the same speed (~30fps IIRC, but it's been a while since I've looked at it so it could be a few more/less -- it's unplayably slow, though, unfortunately).

Does anyone know of any other tricks to improve speed? I tried the .3dsx version of PCSX-rearmed core and it was substantially slower than the CIA. Does the version of the PSX BIOS change the performance at all? What about the OS version on the 3DS? I know 9.2 had kernel hax that helped speed, but I'm assuming CFW on 11.0 has the hax too.

Reactions: regnad

GorrillaRIBS

Gigyas became tame
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, with psx, DSP won't make much of difference at all - when playing any ps1 games, it's better to have vsync/audio sync off to have anywhere near full speed.

spamman5r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody have any luck getting Final Fantasy V (GBA) to work on gpsp? I see a couple of posts about a specific ROM Hack with the upgraded music, I'm just trying to run it plain. Every time I try to play the game on the latest stable libretro release, it crashes with an unexpected error has occurred.

freedeess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you playing it on a N3DS?

I guess I should've mentioned that. Yes, it's a N3DSXL. I also verified that I've got Clock + L2 selected in Luma3DS, so everything should be running at proper N3DS speeds.

Well, with psx, DSP won't make much of difference at all - when playing any ps1 games, it's better to have vsync/audio sync off to have anywhere near full speed.

I'll play around with these settings and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody have any luck getting Final Fantasy V (GBA) to work on gpsp? I see a couple of posts about a specific ROM Hack with the upgraded music, I'm just trying to run it plain. Every time I try to play the game on the latest stable libretro release, it crashes with an unexpected error has occurred.
If all else fails, the GBA VC inject works perfect. I'm already far into the game near the end, where the game gets serious! Really addicting game, but NOT friendly to first timers. I'm doing the challenge where you choose a job from a crystal and stick to it. So basically one job per crystal for a total of 4 jobs per character. It helps you not switch too much and finish leveling them up.

I was going to play FFVI on GPSP but that kept crashing. So I just went with the GBA VC instead, my files are throwaway files anyways. Nothing I want to preserve.

spamman5r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If all else fails, the GBA VC inject works perfect. I'm already far into the game near the end, where the game gets serious! Really addicting game, but NOT friendly to first timers. I'm doing the challenge where you choose a job from a crystal and stick to it. So basically one job per crystal for a total of 4 jobs per character. It helps you not switch too much and finish leveling them up.

I was going to play FFVI on GPSP but that kept crashing. So I just went with the GBA VC instead, my files are throwaway files anyways. Nothing I want to preserve.

I ended up having to do this, thanks for the suggestion. I gave up on EmuNAND and moved to full AL9H SysNAND for it.

Asellus

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
I want to play Romancing Saga 3(Japanes SNES ROM) on CATSFC Plus 1.36(N3DS).

But, Funny Graphics
RetroArch-0520-192426.png

Attachments

• RetroArch-0520-192426.png
    RetroArch-0520-192426.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
Im still loving the ablility to play resident evil 2 and 3 on the go and getting around 60fps out of cutscenes, does anyone think there is room for improvement with pcsx?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just wondering, is the gpSP instability a relatively new occurance? Can somebody recommend a revision (either nightly or stable) to downgrade to?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits...