Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Been a while since I've played around with 3DS Retroarch, is it still considered optimal to use the 3dsx versions that need to be launched in the homebrew launcher? I remember the cia versions having speed issues.
I've heard its optimal to use the CIA versions because the 3DSX versions have speed issues...?

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only Picodrive, gPSP and Psx Rearmed cores benefit from being cias due to optional access to dynarec. Aside from these three cores, performance should be identical between cias and 3dsxs.

In one or two cases (regarding the stable builds of March 2016) I'd argue that the 3dsx is superior to the cia. The cores which crash upon switching certain types of games - Mame 2000 and Mednafen PCE (for CD titles) - are quicker to reboot within the homebrew launcher (using the button combo) than from a rebooted home screen.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any differences or improvements between the latest stable version of the PlayStation emulator, and if I were to download a nightly version? I'm not necessarily looking for full speed, but I'd like to try playing Grandia. Last time I tried, I don't think it was fast enough to be playable. I don't remember if that was before or after learning to adjust the audio and everything for a bit more speed.

Reactions: RivenMain

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Are there any differences or improvements between the latest stable version of the PlayStation emulator, and if I were to download a nightly version? I'm not necessarily looking for full speed, but I'd like to try playing Grandia. Last time I tried, I don't think it was fast enough to be playable. I don't remember if that was before or after learning to adjust the audio and everything for a bit more speed.
Ps1 emulation hasent really gotten any improvements since Dynarec implementation. Dont think it ever will have anymore speed improvements either...

Reactions: Exavold

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Quick question, is it actually possible to play Jazz Jackrabbit on the 3DS with DosBox yet? Last thing I read is that you could run it but not play because the controls wouldn't function.

Kubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, is it actually possible to play Jazz Jackrabbit on the 3DS with DosBox yet? Last thing I read is that you could run it but not play because the controls wouldn't function.

I've been using a stable build of 1.3.6 (I think one from October or November) CIA build on a9lh on N3DS. The controls function just fine in newer builds, but you need to do a few things first.

Load a game and go into the retroarch menu and go to Options. Make sure your Machine type and cycles are what you want them to be (I use svga_s3 and CPU cycles set to 1000 x 1 and 100 x 9. You can assign 3DS buttons to keypresses in this menu as well. I should note that I'm not sure if settings can be saved for individual games. Exit out of Options and go to Controls. Change User 1 Device Type to "Mapper."

Lots of titles crash, but these are almost always titles from 92 onwards. If your games run, the rule of thumb is that older titles (Mono, CGA, EGA games with PC speaker as primary sound) will run faster than newer ones (VGA or better, digitized sounds).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: SkyDX

eldavo2090

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Guys i need some help with the neogeo core, i have tried 2 different sites for the roms, but every time I try to load a game, it goes back to the quick menu, l have the bios file on the same folder as the roms, that's why I think the issue is the roms...

NGamerCole

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently bought that New 3DS for $100 on Black Friday, current firmware version 11.0.0-33U and on 2.7ninjhax. Will update it to 11.2 whenever Ninjhax updates for that.
I was trying out mGBA on the 2DS before hand, and was hoping for nicer results on the N3DS. Still not too nice, I did try out both mGBA and gPSP, but still experiencing some lag. Some games run a lot better or course, but still a bit much with other games. Any particular things I could try out?

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Guys i need some help with the neogeo core, i have tried 2 different sites for the roms, but every time I try to load a game, it goes back to the quick menu, l have the bios file on the same folder as the roms, that's why I think the issue is the roms...
I was having the same problem with MAME. Maybe the core doesn't support the ROMs you are trying to run. Have you tried running them on your PC?

hutzero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
@aliaspider stilling focus at WiiU retroarch. I'm very thanks to him for focus at 3DS for a while. For everyone who want to see any new fixed issues update please standby. Crash problem with Dynarec enabled on gpsp still in a big issue over the years then we can wait for next year or later.

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
Recently bought that New 3DS for $100 on Black Friday, current firmware version 11.0.0-33U and on 2.7ninjhax. Will update it to 11.2 whenever Ninjhax updates for that.
I was trying out mGBA on the 2DS before hand, and was hoping for nicer results on the N3DS. Still not too nice, I did try out both mGBA and gPSP, but still experiencing some lag. Some games run a lot better or course, but still a bit much with other games. Any particular things I could try out?
Besides getting CFW, I don't think there's much you can do to drastically improve framerate.

rad1xs

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I can´t run CPS2, I installed .cia version and when i tried run game crash.

Game: marvell vs capcom, i don´t tried with other

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why was pocketsnes removed from the latest builds? it was the best snes emulator and the only one that could run SMRPG

and launching the standalone version of retroarch makes N3ds say the sd card was removed

Last edited by xdarkmario,

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
why was pocketsnes removed from the latest builds? it was the best snes emulator and the only one that could run SMRPG

and launching the standalone version of retroarch makes N3ds say the sd card was removed
I just checked, it's in here. FYI PocketSNES = snes9x 2002. CatSFC = snes9x 2005.

Reactions: Exavold

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: