1. retroarch_banner.png

Keeping up with their new and more frequent release schedule, the libretro team has just made available a new stable version of RetroArch, their popular front-end for emulators, engines and everything else retrogaming-related! Version 1.8.2 introduces accessibility options for blind people by using your OS' integrated text-to-speech to read the game text out loud (supports Windows, macOS and Linux - you can find more about it here or check it out in the video below). Two long-requested features have also been finally included: an option to update all the installed cores with a single button press and manual content scanning (configurable content search based on file names, no database check - ideal for consoles and system with little RAM due to reduced resource usage). Talking about the latter, the scanner is now also able to check for available content files inside archives, a feature that can be turned on or off to your liking (if you don't compress your ROMs, it may be better to disable it as it will likely increase the time required to perform a scan).

A couple of platform-specific improvements have also been made: Android's Vulkan driver is now able to switch between portrait/landscape orientations and the Vita port now features a GL1 driver (however, it's recommended to keep using Vita2D for the time being, which has also seen some slight updates).

There are also some other new features and enhancements, like automatic arcade content naming using DAT files, several UI improvements and a better, faster, multi-threaded ffmpeg core! Here is the full changelog for the more curious readers:
    :arrow: Source
    :download: Download

2. Discussion (29 replies)

3. Blake5100

Blake5100 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Does anyone know if there has been any word on the steam release?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Those are crazy changes, I love it

5. ChiefReginod

ChiefReginod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The ability to use DATs with manual scanning will make custom playlist generation super easy. I was actually getting ready to write a script to automate the Arcade ROM naming thing for my own playlists when this release dropped, so I couldn't be happier.

THYPLEX and lordelan like this.
  6. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Addict

Austria
    Kudos to them for adding support for blind people!

7. naxil

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Ps3 version?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Good feature ok... But blind people can play videogame?

8. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Addict

Austria
  9. naxil

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Dodain47 likes this.
  10. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

Brazil
    Have they updated the GPSP core for the Vita on this release?

THYPLEX likes this.
  11. ChiefReginod

ChiefReginod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    People who were into videogames before they went blind might want to try it. Granted, only certain types of games will be playable but I bet it will make some people happy.

12. Flame

Flame Me > You

what update? you mean dynarec on gpsp?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    THYPLEX likes this.
  13. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

Brazil
    Yeah. I didn't want to load a nightly so I have been holding up for a stable release.
    If it is not done, I guess I will just pull the trigger and get the nightlies.

14. Elwyndas

Elwyndas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There are all kinds of ways. Sound, vibrations. Also the player might only be somewhat blind. Etc.
    Here is an example of a totally blind player messing with a seeing player.

15. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    Good news for me, I'm blind but having been dying to complete the Japanese original of Super Mario Bros. 2... now I can!!!!

THYPLEX likes this.
  16. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Why does the Vita Build not play as good as it used to?
    Example - FBA Neo - SFA or HSF2 - Running Slower that it used to. Was working great before. Now it is crap.

17. LibretroRetroArc

LibretroRetroArc GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    In theory it should not be going slower, but it could always be the case that as code changes in current projects, performance deficits pile up. But usually it's the best policy to point this out to the devs (barbudreadmon and FB Neo devs in this case) in order to learn what is going on. There could all be sorts of reasons for this being the case.

Also, in case it wasn't apparent already - do NOT use the GL1 video driver unless you absolutely have to. Vita2D will still be faster for all software rendered cores.

In the meantime, you could try if the FB Alpha cores have the same issue - the CPS2/CPS1 based ones. On average though I would always recommend using FB Neo at this point as it's an actually active project.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    THYPLEX likes this.
  18. barbudreadmon

barbudreadmon Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    If FBNeo (not FBA, our CPS emulation module was upgraded just before we changed name) was previously running cps at full speed on your vita, that should still be the case. Core options might be the problem here, what values do you currently have for "Frameskip", "CPU clock" and "Enable cyclone" ?
    - "Enable cyclone", while i don't recommend it because it breaks compatibility with some games (we won't fix), might be required on slow devices like the vita
    - "CPU clock" affects CPS emulation, the higher you set it, the higher the hardware requirements will be, furthermore it's now working properly (previously it wasn't working as it should due to wrong value conversion, ending up in a much lower clock than what was set), in some cases you might even consider setting it to values lower than 100% (it's now possible) to lower the hardware requirements because the game never made full use of the original hardware in the first place.
    - "Frameskip" set to 1 might help a lot on slow devices

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  19. Bravestarr

Bravestarr Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Still SoulCalibur ob Switch is not playable because of massive graphic glitches. :/

THYPLEX likes this.
  20. Whole lotta love

Whole lotta love GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had a friend in school who was blind... Used a cane, read and typed in brail, but had some vision and used to play some games on his computer. I imagine this would help him a lot.

THYPLEX likes this.
  21. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 C0D3 N1Nj4

United States
    Is this for the 3ds?

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - RetroArch, released,