Homebrew Retroarch 1.2 is coming...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to register on their forum for a few days, having some issues with it. Tried multiple emails and contacting them, but regardless, once it finally does go through I'll give that a shot.

Really? I registered there just fine, weird. I don't know what else to tell ya. Damn, that sucks.

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why in the bloody hell does the window version make me reload my configuration? Why can't it load the configuration on the fly when loading the program on the windows version? Anyone experience this?

TheBeverage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why in the bloody hell does the window version make me reload my configuration? Why can't it load the configuration on the fly when loading the program on the windows version? Anyone experience this?

In addition to what the_randomizer said, this thread is in the Wii forum, so you're especially unlikely to get any answers here.

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I posted here is because people were talking about the windows and android version so I thought "why the hell not". thank you anyway.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Should I wait until everything gets resolved to update my "Main" SD card?

It seems that there are quite a few problems here and there...

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That's why i'm asking about the main. For me , the actual state of 1.2 seems like a few steps back, but i'm asking just to hear other's opinions.

I have 1.2 on another SD card, but I didn't see anything that wasn't already reported for now, although I haven't tried all the cores. And repeating things could be seen as annoying.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why i'm asking about the main. For me , the actual state of 1.2 seems like a few steps back, but i'm asking just to hear other's opinions.

I have 1.2 on another SD card, but I didn't see anything that wasn't already reported for now, although I haven't tried all the cores. And repeating things could be seen as annoying.

I mean, the problem is that they are so many people who can help with testing during development, so regressions are to be expected at one point or another, such is the nature of programming. Frustrating, indeed, all we can do is our part and provide as much info as we can. I need to test 1.2, will do so later today :P

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That was the reason of my question, 1.2 has a lot of new options (One I like was separate folders for saves and states, you can make a giant mess of files lol) and some new cores, like one for the Lynx, Mednafen GBA, or BlueMSX, but as far as emulation, has issues and others things are a little annoying to deal with (Most surely because of the habit of 1.0.0.2 and older versions).

I wanted to know if people would rather have those options/cores and more control over retroarch before the other things.

But I personally will keep 1.0.0.2 for now for "normal" play, while I mess with 1.2 to see how things are evolving in this version.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was the reason of my question, 1.2 has a lot of new options (One I like was separate folders for saves and states, you can make a giant mess of files lol) and some new cores, like one for the Lynx, Mednafen GBA, or BlueMSX, but as far as emulation, has issues and others things are a little annoying to deal with (Most surely because of the habit of 1.0.0.2 and older versions).

I wanted to know if people would rather have those options/cores and more control over retroarch before the other things.

But I personally will keep 1.0.0.2 for now for "normal" play, while I mess with 1.2 to see how things are evolving in this version.

GBA emulation on the Wii is a mess and is very CPU intensive, until further optimizations can be made. While it's better than it used to be, still has a long way to go lol. I like keeping all my ROMs in a single file since RA just filters the file type depending on which core you use. :P

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm more of a "Each system has its own folders, dividing games by their genres" kind of guy myself.

Although some systems have so few games that genre folders are pretty useless (Like Virtual Boy, for example).

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No problems here, try installing into a fresh folder and see if that helps. If not, check the directories in settings and change where needed.

Should I wait until everything gets resolved to update my "Main" SD card?

It seems that there are quite a few problems here and there...
Think you answered your own question later, but agreed: 1.2.2 shows promise but is a little borked at the moment - I mean I only tried two of the 3 new cores and got a code dump - so yeah I'd keep your 'main' SD card with 1.0.0.2 on it.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problems here, try installing into a fresh folder and see if that helps. If not, check the directories in settings and change where needed.

Think you answered your own question later, but agreed: 1.2.2 shows promise but is a little borked at the moment - I mean I only tried two of the 3 new cores and got a code dump - so yeah I'd keep your 'main' SD card with 1.0.0.2 on it.

Again, regressions are to be expected when you only have a small no. of people to help with testing and feedback.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
BTW if someone uses RA on Wii U, and want 4:3 aspect ratio without tweaking settings on TV or RA itself, you can try my forwarder (it points to sd:/apps/retroarch-wii), it's on my sig.

So far 1.2 doesn't store your video options, so I though it would be a handy workaround in the meantime.

Last edited by OriginalHamster,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again, regressions are to be expected when you only have a small no. of people to help with testing and feedback.
Why do you think I didn't repeat it sunbeam...?? A massive update, across a variety of platforms, with a relatively few amount of devs working on it - well duh... As you can see my post wasn't slagging the current build off - we can leave that sort of thing to you really mate...;)

Fact remains the current build isn't quite up to the point of replacing 1.0.0.2

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you think I didn't repeat it sunbeam...?? A massive update, across a variety of platforms, with a relatively few amount of devs working on it - well duh... As you can see my post wasn't slagging the current build off - we can leave that sort of thing to you really mate...;)

Fact remains the current build isn't quite up to the point of replacing 1.0.0.2

Yeah, think I'm gonna just delete my post now. Clearly I put my foot in my mouth, but I digress.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, think I'm gonna just delete my post now. Clearly I put my foot in my mouth, but I digress.
:lol: - Hey, no problems, I'm used to it! :P

It's entirely up to the RA team how they release their program, but maybe they shouldn't rush these things out the door and call them release candidate worthy, or at least mention how untested they are.... last time I worked on a program, part of a team, we publicly released builds, similar to RA's nightlies, before going on to Alpha/Beta/Release Candidate, before releasing Final: by the time we got to Final our program was pretty much fukkin watertight, with any subsequent releases being for actual additions rather than any bugfixes.... Retroarch is a far more ambitious program too, perhaps they should've called the releases we currently have as Alphas... just my two cents, and no randomizer don't tell me to pass that over to the libretro forums or this mighty muffin'll have to break yer legs - :lol:

Just noticed Snes9x Next doesn't play any of the NP Picross games now - I say any, I've only tried 2 of em :lol:, but still it's another issue (and again randomizer, not a word! :P I might sign up over there though I suppose.....)
Clearly there's plenty to do before we tell everyone to upgrade from 1.0.0.2 ;)

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."