jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So, in my last post I talked about how I'm looking forward to repairing my Xbox360. Until then (next week sometime) I've installed some old games on my PC.

SiN, Half-life, Klingon Honor Guard, Star Trek Elite Force II, Unreal Gold, Alien vs Predator 2, DoomGL and Duke Nukem 3d (plus 3D mod) - every one a fantastic game, but can they be considered retro? How does a game qualify for that status?

What do you think?

On a side note, any recommendations would be appreciated. FPS is my genre of choice, but I'm also partial to a little strategy (Syndicate Wars, Homeworld etc).

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any game that came out before mid 90s is retro for me. I used to play with my 486DX a lot back in the day so I love retro games. Most stuff you've listed there aren't really retro actually, at least I wouldn't consider them retro.

Weren't games just "better" in the 90s ? I mean, in everyway, they were more creative, their music was much better etc. I think developers are running out of ideas =/

Zhark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can always go back to Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2, Populous....

And FPS, Prey is excellent. You will get space sickness playing it (not retro, tho)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Definition of retro, for some the PS1 is retro, a fact that makes me feel somewhat old before my time.

+1 to Dungeon keeper
Add in the total war series as well.
Heroes of might and magic, I have not really played the more recent versions as much as 2 but still.

FPS, Chrome if you can find it. It was overshadowed by bigger releases but is worth a play.
I suppose you have all the "3d" titles as well, duke you have, quake, doom, redneck rampage.
Max payne, not sure if it is retro per se but a good story, interesting engine and such make it worthwhile.
Deus Ex, you can probably leave the sequel though as it does not stack well against it.

I could probably go on for a while so I will cut it off there.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And if we're talking "retro" here (as in, retro to some, "seems like only yesterday" to others), try "Terranova: Strike Force Centauri". It's great.

madmk

Trophies
XP
Country
Well they aren't really retro.. All killer games I must add
tongue.gif
Stuff like Crusader: No Regret etc is retro.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think for the casual console gamer, retro is anything released over 2 generations ago. For me personally, it's anything that gives me a feeling of nostalgia, and that includes a couple of PS1 titles!

As for the PC games I mentioned, SiN and Unreal were at the cutting edge of PC gaming when I converted to consoles. It's nice to go back and play them now that I own a machine that can actually run them
biggrin.gif

-----------------------------------------------
Some interesting reccommendations. Added Chrome, Dungeon Keeper and Shogo: Mobile Armor Division to my downloads list. Thanks
smile.gif

@Zhark - already got Prey on my 360
wink.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good old Wolf3D and Witchaven I recall being pretty damn good in the day as was Heretic. Outside of that realm unless you hate space flight shooters a fool would pass up playing Wing Commander 1 and 2 with their 2 addon packs each got.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fallout and Fallout 2 (too bad Bethesda is going to fuck up Fallout 3 completely - OMG SOIL EROSION), as well as Baldur's Gate and its sequel. Some of the greatest RPGs ever made there.

The nineties were great times for PC gamers. Today it's all about console games with steamlined interfaces and cookiecutter gameplay that'll bring in maximum profit for the publishers, but that's what you get when things become mainstream.

Smiler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Try Marathon. The game is a FPS, but the story is the best part of the game. It's a pain to get to work, but it is awesome if you put up with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74nTzbgDGWM