Gaming Retrieving some data off an IDE HDD

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, yeah, as the title states, I have an old IDE HDD from my old computer with some data I need. I really want to avoid hooking it up to my computer because I only plan to use it once, and I have no experience with IDE HDDs.

So, anyone know how I can copy the files I have on my IDE HDD without installing it inside my computer? I really don't want to download the Macross 7 R2 DVD remasters again...

Thanks in advance.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The easiest option would be to hook it up to your pc I'm afraid. There are other options but it'd just be more complicated and cost money. If you're uncertain how to hook up the drive, I'd suggest you look up a few tutorials online.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is what you need, a USB to IDE adapter, posted in an earlier thread. I have a similar unit, works nicely. You hook the box end into the hard drive, and the other into the computer through USB, connect the power adapter, wait for it to load, and you have your data. It's slower transfer speeds than hooking the drive into the system directly, but if it's just for 1 game, or you just don't want to open the case, then it's a good deal.

Just be sure that you have it on a stable surface. Don't yank the cords around, or un-plug it till windows says it's safe to remove. Then pull out the usb cable from the comp, and finally turn off the drive's power. I had a drive get toasted when it slipped off the desk while it was still active. Luckilly I had already gotten the data I needed.

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help moose, but I don't want to order from DX since I'm too impatient and I really want to finish watching Macross 7.

I've been searching around it looks like I might buy one of these, but there's a slight problem. It says my jumper selector needs to be set to master in order to use this cable. I have no idea what that means. Is there any way to check if my jumper selector is set to master?

I decided to with this instead.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that second link looks like the same thing (probably all made in the same company in Taiwan, just with different boxes
wink.gif
).

If you really had to have it now, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it in a best buy, radio shack, or a local computer store. In a pinch you could even use an external drive enclosure, but the multi cable is more useful since it is quicker to connect and has 3 types of connections possible. That makes it more useful should you need to get data off a different type of drive in the future, and why it's recommended since this is a temporary thing, not a permanent setup.

As to the jumper being in the master position, on the back of the drive where the cables connect, there will be a small set of 8 or so pins, separated from the power connector, and the ribbon cable connector. Two of them having a small plastic covered metal piece (sometimes two of them) that makes a connection between them. On the drive, there is normally a small diagram showing the different positions, MA= Master, SL=Slave, CS=Cable Select. If it's in the wrong position, pull it off, and connect the 2 proper pins. If not, the website of the drive manufacturer should have detailed information.

Heck, there is probably a Youtube video out there
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy