Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Went to the orthodontist and got a retainer + headgear. I haven't gotten braces yet. Headgear i don't mind cuz its nighttime only but the freakin retainer gives me a lisp. I can't freakin talk correctly. This is so annoying. My favorite times of the day are when i have to eat cuz I don't have to wear the retainer for that time.

On the bright side, there is no school currently in session so I don't have to deal with that and people say it takes a couple of days to get used to. My girlfriend is also away on vacation with no cell reception so she can't hear me like this.

Any advice? Or even just share past experiences cuz they're funny. Or ask me to say funny tongue twisters aloud
tongue.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to keep in mind how good your teeth will look after all the inconvenience is over with. It will be worth it when all is said and done.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Try to keep in mind how good your teeth will look after all the inconvenience is over with. It will be worth it when all is said and done.
Yeah, my girlfriend has gone through braces and she has a different, non-intrusive retainer. I have to say her teeth, look damn good. We have the same orthodontist (she recommended me).

Deadmon

A Temper
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh the horror of wearing a headgear, glad those days are long past...
laugh.gif

I wore some type of expander-retainer thing when I had my braces, but they didn't really give me a lisp.

Though after I got my braces off, the ortho gave me retainers at night, and those give me a serious lisp. I avoid wearing them until I'm done talking to my girlfriend at the end of night, otherwise our convos would just go "What did you say?" and "I sed dat eyem going to sheep now!"

Just think of the teeth..

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Deadmon said:
Oh the horror of wearing a headgear, glad those days are long past...
laugh.gif

I wore some type of expander-retainer thing when I had my braces, but they didn't really give me a lisp.

Though after I got my braces off, the ortho gave me retainers at night, and those give me a serious lisp. I avoid wearing them until I'm done talking to my girlfriend at the end of night, otherwise our convos would just go "What did you say?" and "I sed dat eyem going to sheep now!"

Just think of the teeth..
Well the only reason I have this specific retainer is because I have an overbite and so its preventing my top jaw from growing anymore and pulling my bottom jaw where it should be. The only problem is that the process depends entirely on fast I grow; the taller I get, the more effective this treatment will be. *goes to secret lab to create growth potion* I had the option to increase my bottom jaw surgically, but my girlfriend and parents were against it.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess I should have had some sort of dental work as a kid, my teeth grew out kinda funny. Not truly horrificly dodgy, but I don't exactly have a smile that could launch a thousand ships either. Maybe two ships and a small yacht. So while you'll probably be given a hard time by douchebags at school, consider that you get the last laugh because you'll have great teeth while they'll end up with no teeth when someone finally takes exception to their attitude and punches their teeth down their throat. Then they end up marrying someone in a trailer park called Bubba. So you win in the long run.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
yeah. I just got my 2nd pair of braces off a year ago. Orthodontists are god damn carpetbaggers. If you don't breathe correctly, don't bother correcting your teeth. Mouth breathing causes your tongue to rest at the bottom of your mouth instead of resting at the top with nose breathing, resulting in more fucked up teeth down the road. But do orthodontists tell you ? Do you hear the dentists tell you to breathe correctly ? NO. THEY LEAVE THAT SHIT OUT. THEN SUCKERS LIKE ME GIVE THEM REPEAT BUSINESS GETTING ADULT BRACES.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had dental work as well. Retainers and train tracks.

With track braces you pretty much miss the sensation of licking your teeth.

Retainers weren't bad for me and for some reason the lisp that it came with has stayed with me to this day

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yuyuyup said:
Rayder said:
yeah. I just got my 2nd pair of braces off a year ago. Orthodontists are god damn carpetbaggers. If you don't breathe correctly, don't bother correcting your teeth. Mouth breathing causes your tongue to rest at the bottom of your mouth instead of resting at the top with nose breathing, resulting in more fucked up teeth down the road. But do orthodontists tell you ? Do you hear the dentists tell you to breathe correctly ? NO. THEY LEAVE THAT SHIT OUT. THEN SUCKERS LIKE ME GIVE THEM REPEAT BUSINESS GETTING ADULT BRACES.

Are you serious? That's so stupid. I mean when they're shoving a mold down your throat you have no choice but to breathe through your nose or gag.

QUOTE(30084pm @ Aug 3 2010, 12:19 PM)
I've had dental work as well. Retainers and train tracks.

With track braces you pretty much miss the sensation of licking your teeth.

Retainers weren't bad for me and for some reason the lisp that it came with has stayed with me to this day
I can feel myself being able to say certain sounds better after practice but I hope the lisp doesn't stick.
ohnoes.png

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Damn, that sucks. I've never had one of those, but I did have one of those head gears, for my upper row of teeth.
Now I have normal braces, (traintracks...?) on both rows.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
Damn, that sucks. I've never had one of those, but I did have one of those head gears, for my upper row of teeth.
Now I have normal braces, (traintracks...?) on both rows.
Having train tracks never sounded so good... You sir, are lucky.

bnwchbammer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had to wear a nighttime retainer for the past few years.
It really took a few weeks or so to totally get used to it.
You do have to think about speaking a bit more than usual.
I still do, but I've gotten used to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: So much drinking from @K3Nv2