Hacking Restoring Last NAND backup

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a N3DS with Luma3DS & A9HL on latest firmware and I want to know what would happen if I restored the last backup I made (what is directed to do in that famous guide)

What do I lose and what would happen?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What operating system did you have on that backup?

Assuming you use Decrypt9's "keep a9lh" option (it's not written but automatic in Hourglass9):

Backup was made on 8.1 or under = not working (in a practical manner)
Backup contains 9.0 or newer = will work, software installed after the backup won't appear because of no tickets, but you can just reinstall the cia with DevMenu (that will skip extracting the contents) or the tickets with fbi2 or equivalents

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What operating system did you have on that backup?

Assuming you use Decrypt9's "keep a9lh" option (it's not written but automatic in Hourglass9):

Backup was made on 8.1 or under = not working (in a practical manner)
Backup contains 9.0 or newer = will work, software installed after the backup won't appear because of no tickets, but you can just reinstall the cia with DevMenu (that will skip extracting the contents) or the tickets with fbi2 or equivalents

Screenshot_2016-08-01-17-36-54.png

As I followed the guide to the letter, the last backup I made is the one you are asked to do under finalising setup

EDIT: Is that the one I reinstall then carry on following the guide from the finalising point?

Last edited by MartinDocNewland,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some things to know about that backup:
- Assuming you truly did follow the guide to every word, it contains the data you had before you even started hacking
- It has A9LH pre-installed on it, but you should always "Restore SysNand (Keep A9LH)" if using Decrypt9, but restoring SysNand in general using Hourglass9 should keep A9LH no matter what.
- Even if you tried to Restore SysNand without keeping A9LH, because that backup in question has A9LH pre-installed, it won't remove A9LH. You can remove A9LH (not recommended) by running SafeA9LHInstaller via renaming it to "arm9loaderhax.bin"+put it on your SD root and tell it to Uninstall A9LH.

Reactions: MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Some things to know about that backup:
- Assuming you truly did follow the guide to every word, it contains the data you had before you even started hacking
- It has A9LH pre-installed on it, but you should always "Restore SysNand (Keep A9LH)" if using Decrypt9, but restoring SysNand in general using Hourglass9 should keep A9LH no matter what.
- Even if you tried to Restore SysNand without keeping A9LH, because that backup in question has A9LH pre-installed, it won't remove A9LH. You can remove A9LH (not recommended) by running SafeA9LHInstaller via renaming it to "arm9loaderhax.bin"+put it on your SD root and tell it to Uninstall A9LH.

So it is ok to restore the last backup with A9HL on then, cool as that's what I want to do but didn't know if it was the right thing to do. Trying to get my N3DS back to being on Luma3DS with A9LH on latest firmware it's on now but with no games install so can start again. Thank you for your reply

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a restore on mine the other day b/c I accidentally deleted some files off my card I shouldn't have.....so, my restore did exactly what it should have done and was expected....anything you have added (games, saves, themes, etc...) after your last back-up will be lost. Since everything is stored on your card (hence why it can't even BOOT without the card), nothing on the actual system should change....

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I did a restore on mine the other day b/c I accidentally deleted some files off my card I shouldn't have.....so, my restore did exactly what it should have done and was expected....anything you have added (games, saves, themes, etc...) after your last back-up will be lost. Since everything is stored on your card (hence why it can't even BOOT without the card), nothing on the actual system should change....

Yeah I just took the plunge and restored my last backup that was on firmware 9.2 with A9HL & Luma3DS (I think) and all is well. Now I got to figure out what folder on my SD card holds the data for all the games I installed previous so I can claim that space back, oh and inject FBI into the house and safety app and I think I'm done

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah I just took the plunge and restored my last backup that was on firmware 9.2 with A9HL & Luma3DS (I think) and all is well. Now I got to figure out what folder on my SD card holds the data for all the games I installed previous so I can claim that space back, oh and inject FBI into the house and safety app and I think I'm done
Go to data management and delete games from there. Anything greyed out with an X is on your SD card but the system doesn't have permission to run it.

Reactions: MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Go to data management and delete games from there. Anything greyed out with an X is on your SD card but the system doesn't have permission to run it.

Yeah looked in there and there was only one thing that popped up lol So deleted the data from the Nintendo 3DS and that work.

Now I'm back to normal with 109GB of free space on my card lol

Thanks for the tip tho

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn