Gaming Restoring GRUB2/BURG

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I just installed the Windows 8 preview on my computer and, of course, its stomped all over my BURG bootloader. Can't boot into my Ubuntu 11.10 install at all. I really should've thought of this beforehand tbh.
So, my question is thus: How do I reinstall GRUB so I can access all my OSes without fully reinstalling Ubuntu?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
right click computer --- properties --- avanced system settings
then click on parameter in startup
then change your default OS to Ubuntu
that will change the windows bootloader to the old text bootloader that is compatible with linux

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you'd rather put GRUB back instead of the Windows text bootloader, you should be able to reinstall GRUB/GRUB2/BURG from pretty much any distro's live CD/DVD/USB, though I haven't done this in ages and don't remember the proper commands.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I would rather have GRUB back on my machine. I have tried running it from my Ubuntu liveCD but everytime I try install to hd0 it says it can't mount it.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know where my ubuntu install is (SDA5 partition) but that's not necessarily where GRUB is, is it?
I mean, it needs an MBR record. Also when I installed BURG it was an hd0 location I gave it. (unless hd0 is relative to the install)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: if i have time for that