Question RESTORE PRODINFO

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by MikiFanta, Aug 21, 2019.

1. eliboa

eliboa GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    France
    Serial Number and device id can be retrieved from play reports or journal/creport in SYSTEM partition (not on "never used" console obviously). But I think certs are only stored in CAL0.
    And yes, I think it's possible to restore certs from another console but you'll have to recalculate the SHA256 hash for the new cert (and cal0 data hash)

Last edited by eliboa, Aug 21, 2019
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The code for calculating the hashes is in Incognito so that part is easy. But I have a feeling there's more to it than that.

eliboa likes this.
  3. MikiFanta
    OP

MikiFanta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    I will try to do that, thank you

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So... What do I have to do?

I tried, but the program hasn't found the file that I was searching. Thanks anyway.

4. eliboa

eliboa GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    France
    You can't do anything. Even if you could retrieve S/N & device id from journal, you'll still need a new client cert and the only way to get one is to extract it from another console. Basically, if you loose your prodinfo backup, you're screwed. You need a new Switch to play online (and keep the old one for CFW). You should have made a NAND backup before using a CFW, everybody should.

Yeah me too..

5. MikiFanta
    OP

MikiFanta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    Thanks everyone. I think I will buy a Nintendo Switch Lite for play online and I'll take anyway the "old" switch for play offline games.

6. intellettuanale

intellettuanale GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Italy
    Is it possible to restore a prodinfo.bin from another console?

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Theoretically possible? Yes. Why hasn't anyone done it yet? Its not practical.

8. MikiFanta
    OP

MikiFanta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    So... If I have a friend that doesn't want to play online I can take his prodinfo file?

9. eliboa

eliboa GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    France
    You will not be able to restore the whole partition from another console's prodinfo. I tried, it doesn't work.
    It may work if you only restore some parts of CAL0 such as client cert, device id,... but I didn't try. Maybe it will work with incognito's restore feature becauseit does partial restore and it regenerates hashes.

10. intellettuanale

intellettuanale GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Italy
    So, is not possible to unban a console with a prodinfo from another one, right?

11. eliboa

eliboa GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    France
    This is not what i'm saying. You can't restore the entire PRODINFO partition from another console. I tried to do it, it doesn't work.
    What I did was :
    - dump then decrypt PRODINFO from console A
    - encrypt it using bis keys from console B
    - restore PRODINFO to console B

BUT you may be able to unban a console by restoring only some parts of PRODINFO/CAL0 (not the whole partition), basically by replacing the client cert (at least). This is theoretical, i didn't try.

Last edited by eliboa, Aug 23, 2019
    intellettuanale likes this.
  12. MikiFanta
    OP

MikiFanta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    Just installed Photorec. Now I'm trying to restore the file using this program. I'm pretty sure that it will work because it's restoring very old files..

gjimenezf likes this.
  13. gjimenezf

gjimenezf Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2016
    Ecuador
    Try to restore the atmosphere folder too, because atmosphere makes backups files of prodinfo in that folder

14. MikiFanta
    OP

MikiFanta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    Ok.. The restore of the files is over. All the files that the program has restored have a different name from the original one (fxxxxx).. How can I recognize the file that I want?

15. MikiFanta
    OP

MikiFanta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    Ok, I found a way to recognize the file. But i need to know the size of prodinfo.bin..

16. eliboa

eliboa GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    France
    4 176 896 bytes (4 079 kiB)

Last edited by eliboa, Aug 23, 2019
  17. MikiFanta
    OP

MikiFanta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    I found another way.. Can someone send me the hash of the file?

18. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Prodinfo is unique to your console, so nobody else would have the same hash.

19. eliboa

eliboa GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    France
    Find all files matching the expected size (4 176 896 B), open each file one by one with HxD. If the four first bytes are 0x43414C30 ("CAL0" in string), then it's prodinfo.bin.

20. MikiFanta
    OP

MikiFanta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    I don't have any files with that size (4176,896 Kb) ... Do you think that the program hasn't found prodinfo?

I found a strange file... There are things like "Stuck dump" "tsl dump"... Is that the file?

21. MikiFanta
    This message by MikiFanta has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 25, 2019, Reason: Bumping.
    Aug 24, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted