Resize 3DS partitions

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by WhoAmI?, Aug 11, 2015.

1. WhoAmI?
    OP

WhoAmI? PASTA's dirty animal

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    Is it possible to resize the partitions on the NAND then re-encrypt it?

Would be sorta cool to have a FAT partition at the end of the NAND so when I plug my NAND mod into the computer, a lil "USB Drive" appears that I can hide stuff in while still retaining the consoles functionality.

Seems stupid and weird but eh, sounds pretty cool to me :)

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    If you want to try just shrink the last partition and make a new one at the end, maybe edit the MBR as well.

WhoAmI? likes this.
  3. WhoAmI?
    OP

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    Yeah, that's the thing... I don't know if the 3DS would spazz out about that. Not even sure how to shrink it tbh.

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    you could test out if it simply stops the 3ds working by testing it out on emunand and see if emunand still boots.....it would serve very little purpose on a o3DS as the only free space for those is tine iirc about 7mb on certain models.....but the 2gb n3DS consoles have about 700mb unused space on them

i think a real cool thing would be if we could make a emunand in the free space on the 2gb nand n3DS consoles, resize the partitions of the emunand so the total requires space is only say 600mb....maybe if we could even store our chosen launcher in the 3DS FS which would then mean we could freely swap SD cards and not have to worry about having emunand setup on each SD or having to shut down before switching SD cards

WhoAmI? likes this.
  5. WhoAmI?
    OP

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    I don't have any ideas on how to resize it though... Would I have to decrypt it with D9 first and mount it on Linux then resize via "Disks" or what?

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    tbh i doubt what you want to do would be possible as the MBR would get in the way of the normal 3DS nand setup...i imagine adding a MBR to it would probably screw the bootup process......i guess maybe using a third party program that can read the MBR from the end of the drive or something weird like that might work, idk tbh :P

WhoAmI? likes this.
  7. WhoAmI?
    OP

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    Yeah that's one of the things that I was thinking about. Wouldn't adding a MBR, mess with the 3DS's crypto engine thing and cause it to brick? I dunno tbh. If I get bored enough, I'll consider just hooking it up to my computer and try it out :P Doubt it'll work but eh. Worth a try :)