ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Recently, I've been going bonkers over trying to obtain the online-only locked achievements found in both Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6.
I've tried doing it through cheat codes, but I haven't been able to come up with the address that can unlock or lock back the achievements for any of the two games.

With that said, I have tried going the other way around, with save hacking.
From a couple test I have done, I managed to find where the address for what seems to be the date of the unlocked achievements is locate din the savedata.bin

Here's one example:

Left: Before unlocking "Stockpile" achievement / Right: After unlocking the "Stockpile" achievement​
screenshot-from-2020-02-28-09-50-41-png.197946

In here you can see the achievement unlocked for "Stockpile", which unlocks once you have all of the weapons in storage.
(I used a cheat code to unlock it right at the very beginning of the game)

In here, what I did was enable the cheat code for unlocking all the weapons and starting a new game with it.
Resident Evil 5 doesn't track what weapons you have until you reach the informant, when you retrieve your first pistol.
Once Sheva or Chris collect the pistol, the achievement gets unlocked.
So what I did was, once I reached the butcher shop with the informant, I exit the game so the achievement remains locked, backed up the save without achievements, and then loaded up the save again and now opened the box, let Sheva grab her pistol, achievement gets unlocked and now I exit the game with just that one achievement unlocked.

I also did the same with my main save file, where I had only one final achievement to unlock (excluding the Online-Only achievements) and that is the one requiring all 4 types of eggs collected in storage.
With that, I managed to make a comparison between the save files I had, and came to the conclusion that starting at address 0x0A60, every time a new achievement gets unlocked, the corresponding achievement date is stored in here.

Each achievement takes up 4 bytes, and they have the following format:
ZZ ZY XX WW

Where:
  • ZZ ZY: "Z"s are the year in Hex (7E4 hex = 2020 decimal, 7E3 = 2019), while "Y" is the month in Hex (01 - January, 02 - February, etc.).
    As an example, combined they form something like E4 27 in endian (for better reading, 2 7E4, being 2 the month of February and 7E4 the year 2020)
  • XX: Day in Hex (1B hex = 27 decimal)
  • WW: Unknown value. This one seems to fluctuate between 01 and 02 from all of the achievements I have unlocked.
The number of achievements is 71 in-game, so this makes an arrangement of 71*4 bytes = 284 bytes of data, or 11C bytes in hex.

So with that, I did the logical thing, and tried adding the remaining date data for the achievements I had yet to unlock.
I added them to the same date as one I had unlocked the very same day.

However, upon loading the game, it says that the save data has been corrupted, and it formats the save file altogether.
This is where my research stands at the moment.

I am unsure what other data I might be missing, but from the couple saves at the very beginning of the game I looked into, there are still other 10 bytes which change between the two save files besides the achievement date bytes.

What those other 10 bytes do or are, I am still not sure, but if anyone can help to figure this out, it'd be deeply grateful!
Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help out with this!

PS: I have uploaded the two save files I used for locating this data as a .zip.
Inside you'll find two folders, one called "Pre-weapon" and another called "Post-weapon".
"Pre-weapon" is the one before you get the "Stockpile" achievement, and "Post-weapon" after you unlock it.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-02-28 09-50-41.png
    Screenshot from 2020-02-28 09-50-41.png
    64 KB · Views: 906
  • RE5.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: cucholix

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@cucholix here's something I've been working on lately.
I still have yet to know how the game determines if the data is corrupt or not, once we get it to properly inject, we might be able to unlock the remaining achievements for RE5 :)

RE6 I haven't tried at all yet though.

Reactions: cucholix

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I made another discover today.

I found out what the 4th byte is supposed to be.
I mentioned before that it toggles between values 01 and 02.

Today I discovered this 4th represents whether or not you have seen the achievement in the "Library" menu or not.
When you first get the achievement, you see the badge pop up on-screen.
By this time, the achievement gets registered and stored in the Achievement list inside the "Library" option from the main menu.

Once you enter that list, you'll see the recently unlocked achievement there with a "NEW" text to it.
Once you exit the list, the games saves again, and that text no longer appears next to the achievemt.

So with that info, here's what the 4th byte does:
  • 01: Achievement unlocked, but not yet seen in the Library -> Achievements list option
  • 02: Achievement unlocked and seen.
I'll see what else i can find about the save file integrity to hopefully make use of this to finally edit the save files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-