reset display setting doesn't work anymore

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 120hz display. whenever I take the xbox series s somewhere else, I have to reset the display mode back to 640x480 60hz, in order to 'unbrick' the console from outputting 120hz mode. but now this does not seem to work.

currently, the only way to reset it is to plug the console back into a 120hz capable display and switch it manually in the display settings screen (or somehow switch it blind)

has there been some kind of update which broke this recently, or have I inadvertently changed something in the settings for this to have happened?

Attachments

• xbox-reset-res.png
    xbox-reset-res.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 22

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 120hz display. whenever I take the xbox series s somewhere else, I have to reset the display mode back to 640x480 60hz, in order to 'unbrick' the console from outputting 120hz mode. but now this does not seem to work.

currently, the only way to reset it is to plug the console back into a 120hz capable display and switch it manually in the display settings screen (or somehow switch it blind)

has there been some kind of update which broke this recently, or have I inadvertently changed something in the settings for this to have happened?
In display settings under video fidelity and overscan do you have an override set? If so, set it back to auto and it should automatically pick up the refresh rate and resolution of the screen when powered on. The same thing recently happened to my sons series s and we had to change this setting back to auto.

Reactions: BigOnYa

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
In display settings under video fidelity and overscan do you have an override set? If so, set it back to auto and it should automatically pick up the refresh rate and resolution of the screen when powered on. The same thing recently happened to my sons series s and we had to change this setting back to auto.

thanks, but if we set it to auto, then we cannot run in 120hz

doing what they say in the pic I posted up above used to work fine, now it does nothing

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks, but if we set it to auto, then we cannot run in 120hz

doing what they say in the pic I posted up above used to work fine, now it does nothing
You should be able to as long as your cable and TV has native support for it. The HDMI cable shipped with the series s doesn't actually support 4K HDMI 2.1 @120hz. I've tested this myself and it causes the screen on my TV to flicker quite a bit, once a proper HDMI cable supporting UHD @ 120hz was added the flickering stopped and all was good. If you're using a computer monitor without HDMI 2.1 it should just work but it could be that the EDID data the Xbox is getting from your display doesn't indicate that it's a 120hz display at a given resolution. I had that issue with an older Acer monitor where it would work at 1080p 120hz but 1440p would only support 60hz due to the EDID data the monitor was providing. You might want to check if there is a firmware update for your display that you can apply that updates the EDID data.

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You should be able to as long as your cable and TV has native support for it. The HDMI cable shipped with the series s doesn't actually support 4K HDMI 2.1 @120hz. I've tested this myself and it causes the screen on my TV to flicker quite a bit, once a proper HDMI cable supporting UHD @ 120hz was added the flickering stopped and all was good. If you're using a computer monitor without HDMI 2.1 it should just work but it could be that the EDID data the Xbox is getting from your display doesn't indicate that it's a 120hz display at a given resolution. I had that issue with an older Acer monitor where it would work at 1080p 120hz but 1440p would only support 60hz due to the EDID data the monitor was providing. You might want to check if there is a firmware update for your display that you can apply that updates the EDID data.

thanks, and yes, I appreciate that we're running through an obscure monitor.

we're actually amazed it runs in 120hz on xbox, since it's an old PC monitor that only has an HDMI 1.2 port, and doesn't even support 120hz with HDMI. it actually only supports 120hz through DVI dual link. I can get the PC to work with 120hz 1080P with HDMI working, though only with custom timings through nvidia control panel or CRU. the xbox even works out the box with full RGB colour, yet it never cuts out. I keep thinking the cable the xbox came with must be pretty good, and they must be running some pretty tight timings on the front porch and sync width for it to work like it does

I included timings in pic related if anyone ever reads this and wants to run their PC 120hz through an old monitor that only has HDMI 1.2 (and don't have DVI dual link cable) or wants to downsample 1440p at 60hz

Attachments

• customresHDMI.png
    customresHDMI.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 19
  • W2363D_EN.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited by fenderjaguar,
Reactions: fringle

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks, and yes, I appreciate that we're running through an obscure monitor.

we're actually amazed it runs in 120hz on xbox, since it's an old PC monitor that only has an HDMI 1.2 port, and doesn't even support 120hz with HDMI. it actually only supports 120hz through DVI dual link. I can get the PC to work with 120hz 1080P with HDMI working, though only with custom timings through nvidia control panel or CRU. the xbox even works out the box with full RGB colour, yet it never cuts out. I keep thinking the cable the xbox came with must be pretty good, and they must be running some pretty tight timings on the front porch and sync width for it to work like it does

I included timings in pic related if anyone ever reads this and wants to run their PC 120hz through an old monitor that only has HDMI 1.2 (and don't have DVI dual link cable) or wants to downsample 1440p at 60hz
Ah now it makes sense why you are using an override setting. Nice monitor though for it's age. Probably one of the first 120hz panels in a consume LCD monitor. I'm not sure what happened either with the reset video mode as it also use to work with my sons series s but when he went to hook it up to his TV a week ago we couldn't get it to reset either until I got him to hook it up to his PC monitor and manually changed the override setting back to auto.

Reactions: fenderjaguar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle