Suggestion [REQUEST] UltraStar Deluxe (open source karaoke)

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by lordelan, Oct 9, 2018.

?
  1. Bring it on!

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. Nah that sucks. I'm fine "singing" in the shower.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Most of you should know what UltraStar is. It's just like an open source SingStar for PC (mainly) allowing the community to provide setting files for MP3s and that's it.
    In other words: I look for a proper MP3 of Penny Lane by The Beatles, get the config text file for it and start singing it just like I would on SingStar.

UltraStar Deluxe is somehow a better version of (the old) UltraStar so it would make more sense to port Deluxe directly:

https://github.com/UltraStar-Deluxe/USDX

Since Let's Sing 2018 is working very well with my old Wii USB microphones I thought this might work as well. Dunno if that's a libnx issue in the first place or should already work.

Most of the songs in Let's Sing are horrible while everyone's free to pick which songs he want in UltraStar.

This would make my girlfriend so happy and while I'm pretty sure not to be the only male member with a girlfriend here I think many other would like to have this as well.* :)

Oh, here's a picture of Liam:
    [​IMG]

* (in rare cases there are some men enjoying singing games as well)

Last edited by lordelan, Nov 15, 2018
  2. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    My family love these types of games and would make them very happy if this came to fruition.

Voted yes

Brawl345, Barbara69, kop365 and 3 others like this.
  3. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Yeah. Got the new Let's Sing 2019 and it has got shitty songs once again. :( It sucks to be dependent what they choose to be a good selection.

peteruk likes this.
  4. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    totally agree, not even any decent DLC at this point either

doesn't appear anybody is interested in porting ultrastar either which is a real shame

kop365, Citrus-Hombre and Alex-Kidd like this.
  5. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'd love to say that your main problem was putting that ugly face in your first post and scaring people off, but a bigger technical issue is that it's written in pascal, which isn't a supported language on the Switch at this point (and I've never personally seen pascal ported to console homebrew).

6. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    This not a bad idea actually, the Switch is kind of a great system for this kind of product.

Codemastershock, lordelan and peteruk like this.
  7. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Oh you're right. Didn't even notice in the first place lol.
    Unfortunately (but obviously) the original UltraStar (which Deluxe is a fork from) is written in Pascal as well. Such a shame.

I can't let you say a word against Liam Gallagher though. ;)

peteruk and hippy dave like this.
  8. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Actually I just looked at the FreePascal homepage and it apparently already supports GBA, DS and Wii, so perhaps it's not out of the question that someone would add Switch support to it at some point. Whether that would be enough to get USD running I don't know.

lordelan likes this.
  9. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    GBA? What the f*ck?
    Didn't know about a Wii port though. That'll do the job in my living room until a Switch port appears if ever.
    I still wonder how they ported a Pascal project to those platforms. Didn't know that was possible.

Edit: This seems to be the Wii repo -> https://sourceforge.net/p/ultrastarwii/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/

Last edited by lordelan, Nov 14, 2018
  10. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yeah that's what I was saying is that they made FreePascal, which is the compiler used to build USD, support those consoles. Someone would have to adapt the compiler to Switch, before anyone could port USD. I'm glad ultrastar got a wii port for you too.

lordelan likes this.
  11. thmo_

thmo_ Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2018
    Switzerland
    I found this while browsing around and looking for other UltraStar-like stuff:
    https://github.com/performous/performous

It's written in C++. Not sure how hard it would be to port to Switch, but maybe someone picks it up :)

Edit: Looked at it a bit more indepth. It uses sdl2, has been ported to various desktop systems, is actively being developed on. This looks really decent. It has way more features too it seems (instruments and dance stuff, ie. GuitarHero and StepMania clone too!).
    I'm actually hoping somebody picks this up now haha

Last edited by thmo_, Nov 14, 2018
    peteruk likes this.
  12. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Good find! But videos on YouTube are many years old lol:

13. thmo_

thmo_ Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2018
    Switzerland
    Yeah the videos are really old lol ^^
    But the game is still being developed on :D probably looks a bit different now (hopefully).

14. Dstr8ction

Dstr8ction Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Well here we have a UltraStar-like game which is fully compatible to USDX songs:
    https://github.com/Vocaluxe/Vocaluxe

Give it a try if youre not already using it. I made much better experience with it than with the original USDX.
    Also its written in C# rather than Pascal.

lordelan likes this.
  15. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Promising. Last commit only 22 days ago and with C# we're at least step closer lol. Thx for pointing that out. I wish we could make homebrews with C# in general. It's the only language I'm pretty good with.

Songs can be downloaded here (txt files):
    http://usdb.animux.de/

I'm going to play around with it on Windows to get into it. :)

Last edited by lordelan, Nov 15, 2018
    Dstr8ction and peteruk like this.
  16. thmo_

thmo_ Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2018
    Switzerland
    I believe Performous is still our best bet just because it's written with C++ and SDL (it also takes file formats from UltraStart it seems and various others). Makes porting definitley easier, since sadly there's no C# compiler for the Switch. Vocalux does seem to rely on the .NET Framework too, so no real chance on porting that.
    I just saw that the last commit to Performous was 6 days ago and they do have a Discord. Imma try looking around if they maybe have thought about porting it to consoles :D

17. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Alright, report back when you've got news. ;)

thmo_ likes this.
  18. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    You know you don't need to be a girl to enjoy this kind of game, right?
    Jk, I know you didn't want to express it that way, but it's horrible xD Maybe you'd want to correct it.

19. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Haha no I don't wanna correct it. :P
    Although I'm enjoying it myself I've got quite a large circle of friends (is this the right term for that in english?) and we've had plenty Sing(It)Star evenings in our life and guess what?
    All girls/women enjoyed it while all boys/men refused to participate.

20. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    That still doesn't meam only women can enjoy it. That only mean your friends are quite sexist. Glad that's not my case, and that yours is the first one I know.