Hacking Oldies Request: Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals [N64] - Playable Megatron X

cyberlink420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is going to require a little bit of explanation, but I want to make sure I have all the facts written down to help anyone who might want to try taking this on.

In "Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals", if you finish arcade mode without using a continue, you fight a secret opponent named "Megatron X", who looks like Megatron but all chromed out and with big dragon wings. However, Megatron X is only a boss opponent and not playable...or so we had originally assumed.

In truth, Megatron X is playable, but seemingly only in the Japanese version, "Transformers: Beast Wars Metals 64". To do so, you need to have the GBC Beast Wars fighting game inserted into the Transfer Pak. The game will run a check at startup to see if the GBC game is connected, as seen in the attached screenshot. If successful, Megatron X should appear as Megatron's fourth color palette on the character select screen. Megatron X's unlock does not save to the cartridge, so the GBC game will need to be connected each time the game starts if you want to play as him. I've also heard it makes other minor changes, such as updating the title screen, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Since the GBC game was never released outside of Japan, the North American version of the game removes this functionality, but it does add new color palettes for all characters, with a few palettes actually being secret characters with unique names and voice lines. If you include these secret character alternates, everyone has four palettes...except Megatron, who only has three. Obviously, that fourth one must be occupied by Megatron X and is called in the boss battle, but while the other secret characters can be unlocked with a simple pushbutton code, no such code exists for Megatron X.

And herein lies the trouble: While there are a number of GameShark codes for the North American version and the Japanese version, none of them will unlock Megatron X in either release. The hidden debug menu also doesn't appear to have that ability. I even tried to unlock him the "normal" way in the Japanese version via an emulator, but Mupen64Plus's Transfer Pak functionality requires a Game Boy save to be loaded in order to function...and unlucky for me, the GBC game doesn't HAVE a save file, as it uses a password system for unlocks instead.

Long story short: I'd like someone to look into the game and see if a cheat can be developed for either version to make the character accessible. I assume the easiest way for the Japanese version would be to figure out what specific data it checks for when connecting to the GBC game, then trick that flag into triggering. As for the North American version, perhaps a cheat can be created similar to the existing character modifier codes. By forcing the game to always load the fourth color palette, it could potentially be used as a workaround. (I'd also be curious if the North American version has any unused Arcade Mode ending text for Megatron X like the other characters, but that's not a priority.)

Thanks much in advance, and please let me know if there's any other information I can provide to make the process easier.

EDIT: This is years after the fact, but in case anyone does come across this thread wondering the same, I did get help form someone and we did manage to create a code to play as Megatron X. It's 801002FD FFFF for the Japanese version, and 80101CFD FFFF for the North American version. And yes, there was unused Arcade Mode text.

Attachments

• GB-check.png
    GB-check.png
    243.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by cyberlink420,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte