Hacking REQUEST: Summon Night 5 Undub/Voice Patch

Blobbio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
At the final chapter.

So far, I really think this is just a perfectly average game. It's fun, I like the characters, it has good mechanics(and some I really love, like the party abilities), but it's just not great. I honestly think CoH2 was more enjoyable. I'm glad we got it, but for all the work and time this cost Vic, I feel like it would've been better spent on something truly magnificent like Tengai Makyou or Growlanser(damn you to hell, Atlus, LET HIM HAVE IT).
Although you might not agree, I think a large part of Summon Night's appeal is in the story and voice acting (IIRC, even the very first Summon Night game had voice acting, so it was one of the selling points).
The other games you mentioned, particularly the Class of Heroes series, seem awfully generic to me, not to mention I can't stand first-person dungeon crawlers. Not sure what my point is here... but just saying, each to their own and all that. Many people weren't that interested in Gaijinworks until they picked up SN5.

I still think it's possible someone with a little free time might get around to figuring this out at some point. I've been playing other games in the hope that it'll happen. *sobs*

Last edited by Blobbio,

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although you might not agree, I think a large part of Summon Night's appeal is in the story and voice acting (IIRC, even the very first Summon Night game had voice acting, so it was one of the selling points).
The other games you mentioned, particularly the Class of Heroes series, seem awfully generic to me, not to mention I can't stand first-person dungeon crawlers. Not sure what my point is here... but just saying, each to their own and all that. Many people weren't that interested in Gaijinworks until they picked up SN5.

I still think it's possible someone with a little free time might get around to figuring this out at some point. I've been playing other games in the hope that it'll happen. *sobs*

I love FPDCs, so yeah, that could be why. :P Voice acting is NICE, but it won't make or break a game for me. Good writing and localization is far more important. Lots of awful, awful games have all the voice acting, and are no better for it(hi idea factory).

Blobbio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all, sorry for the bump...

Just wanted to say I got back into this game recently and it's massively addictive IMO. On chapter 9 so far, but have been doing a lot of the side-missions and taking my time. Battles are fast-paced, simple and fun, and the story/characters are charming and keep your interest (or at least I think so - has a very "anime" feel but that doesn't take away from it).

The game has a lot of replay value too, since you can carry over "Summon clusters" (creatures with powerful magic that can be used by any character), and choose a different combination of main character/familiar each time you play, for different dialogue and endings! Think of it like a visual novel where you can get closer to different members of your team every route.

It's a real shame no one has figured out how to restore the voices yet. If anyone's reading this and still considering doing the hacking, there is definitely still value in doing so. I would say SN5 easily stands up with some of the best tactical RPGs on the Vita (which there aren't that many of)

ak0ztik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it can be possible if the english vrs has voice then undub it, but then we have nothing to undub, we can't just insert the voice unless someones knows the script on how to call the japanese voices to english iso.
in jap version some textures can be replaced with ppsspp option texture replacement.

Last edited by ak0ztik,
Reactions: Pablitox

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'd say that's the easier way, on blackdog61's words:

** Option 1 - Port audio files from Japanese into the English version
Todo list:
- find all places where the audio files are referenced in the Japanese version (it can be from code, hopefully it's more from script itself - like you had special codes in earlier games. This is just a very wild guess. Actual investigations have to be carried out.) This is bound to take time to understand the game files formats.
- find equivalents in the English version. Very likely, if this is script-based, there are missing special codes in the English version to trigger more audio samples.
- intelligently copy parts of files to make audio available (might be full files for this step)
- intelligently edit English script to refer to Japanese audio.
So 2 big things here: you need to work out how the game script format works, and you need to be able to match English to the original Japanese to choose the proper voice samples, for each spoken sentence in the game.

mwahaha

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Then, rather than porting the audio to English version, how about porting the text/script to Japanese version? Which is more doable?

ak0ztik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Then, rather than porting the audio to English version, how about porting the text/script to Japanese version? Which is more doable?
can't find the dialogues in the .dat files i think it's encrypted or something, only the names and some details were visible that can be edited.
the 10.dat is an archive, but dont know how to extract it, what i know is, it has 16byte header, the 1st 8bytes is i think constant, an id tag? the next 4bytes is the total size of archive, next 4bytes is total size of the body of archive.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

** Option 2 - Port the English script into the Japanese game
- you need to understand the game's script format
- then dump the English
- then match the Japanese (to know where to insert the English). This probably requires more room than was in the original Japanese. But if you've got the format figured out, it's just a matter of patience.
(Note: do this for every text in the game, whether spoken or not.)
Then comes the over cost which kills this option in my mind.
- Insert a VWF. (Crossing finger, maaaaaaybe it's already there. Not the big killer, read the following line.)
- Re-lay out the menus with all English prompts, in all screens of the game (especially menus, status screens, attack screens...) This typically takes months of tedious work for the programmer.
- Replace all graphics that contain Japanese text with their English counterparts. (No graphics editing required - only replacements.) Pray they didn't change the graphics sizes, or face the pain of changing data round the changed graphics.

I think the option 1 is more doable imho

ak0ztik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
menus were there present in eboot.bin and 10.dat, but a need to fix the issue of rendering the fonts is needed. because when i try to change the jap pop-up dialogue,
like 'Are you sure you want to be Folth? Yes No'
the result:
A r
Yes No

Duy Bui

Trophies
XP
Country
** Option 2 - Port the English script into the Japanese game
- you need to understand the game's script format
- then dump the English
- then match the Japanese (to know where to insert the English). This probably requires more room than was in the original Japanese. But if you've got the format figured out, it's just a matter of patience.
(Note: do this for every text in the game, whether spoken or not.)
Then comes the over cost which kills this option in my mind.
- Insert a VWF. (Crossing finger, maaaaaaybe it's already there. Not the big killer, read the following line.)
- Re-lay out the menus with all English prompts, in all screens of the game (especially menus, status screens, attack screens...) This typically takes months of tedious work for the programmer.
- Replace all graphics that contain Japanese text with their English counterparts. (No graphics editing required - only replacements.) Pray they didn't change the graphics sizes, or face the pain of changing data round the changed graphics.

I think the option 1 is more doable imho
option 1 is more doable, but sadly, the english version left out some features from the japanese version, i think

Blobbio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Summon Night 6 came out in English recently, which only made me sadder that this game hasn't had an undub yet... Don't suppose anyone would be interested?

If someone could just crack the file format of the text files in the JP version, it could be doable. I just have no idea where to start though

Sorry to necro-bump, btw...

Blobbio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Still beliving that the undub version is possible.

Summon Night 6 somehow got an undub! It's floating around on a certain site I won't name, and I haven't been able to try it (my Vita is all legit n' squeaky-clean unfortunately), but it's there!

Still doesn't let us play 5 with JP voice, but it's something (for people who are able to)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof