[Request/Idea] Using Wii U Pro Controller on 3DS/2DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by andzalot55, Jan 31, 2016.

1. andzalot55
    OP

andzalot55 I'm very delicious. mmmm.

Nov 14, 2014
    Canada
    Mc Donalds.
    I guess many people thought of this but has it been done? I would like to know myself if it has been or not? If not, how hard is it to make it possible?

Note, I don't know anything about homebrew and such but I just wanted to give ideas.

2. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    Not possible that I know of.

3. SANNIC789

SANNIC789 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    it shud be possible the 3ds dus have blue tooth but you wode maybe need kernel has to do it

Last edited by SANNIC789, Jan 31, 2016
    MyLegGuy likes this.
  4. SANNIC789

SANNIC789 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    WHAT rely i feel stupid now then how are people spost to play the pokemon typing game on ds now on 3ds :O

5. Yangarang

Yangarang GBAtemp Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Australia
    IIRC the bluetooth was built into the game cart itself, not the DS

6. Yangarang

Yangarang GBAtemp Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Australia
    Also the only way you could use the Wii U Pro Controller would (probably) be to wire it up so that when a button was pressed it would send the signal to the 3DS as the input source. Theoretically it could work but you'd have the controller physically attached to the 3DS and it would probably be a permanent attachment.

7. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    I think it would be like the Gamecube and N64 controller mod (search on youtube)

8. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    except those controllers are purely wired and soldered directly to the 3DS mobo via the cable.

The pro controller is completely wireless

9. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    Oh yeah....

10. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    you dont the amount of soldering to even attempt to make it work would be pointless espcially with other controllers available that are smaller (even ps2 controller would work well)

that and the fact the the controller has an internal batter required to work aswell so it would also required a direct line of power

11. LuiisMc

LuiisMc Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Mexico
    what about using a pc and wifi like a bridge? Connect wii u pro controller to pc via bluetooth and 3ds via wifi...
    I think that this idea is gonna be laggy but there is a way.

12. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States

That latency though...

13. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N oh no

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    Maybe the Wii U could have some equivalent of NTR CFW running in the background, with a plugin that acts a server, with the 3DS running a client. The plugin on the Wii U could convert 3DS input to Wii U button presses.

Just a theory, though. Don't know much about Wii U hacking (or hacking in general).

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    That would be an extremely complicated and lengthy process for extremely little payoff and most likely leggy controls.
    But I really wouldn't see the point in a project like this, I mean it's not like the 3DS doesn't already have a controller built into it....wait.

15. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    If that's the attitude towards changing what you use to actually game on a gaming console, why does the Wii U have so many controller options? Surely it doesn't matter, as long as it works.

16. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    This would cause unneeded lag for what? To brag about having a pro-controller run like shit on a system already has a functioning controller?
    If someone can make a functioning external controller for the 3DS, then cool, I guess. But a set up like the one I quoted is just silly.

17. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Running controllers off of Wi-Fi isn't new. Quagsire has done it, with a GameCube controller no less. There were a few frames of input lag at most, I don't see the big deal. I'm sure things don't start out perfect at the beginning of development.

18. ReBirFh

ReBirFh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2010
    Brazil
    Going to revive this because I think it is a good idea. I don't know if it depends on the person vision acuity but even the stable 3D from the N3DS requires it to be a certain distance from your eyes, making it a bit less confortable to use if you want to experience 3D.

It would be nice with could leave the 3DS propped up on a support like the Kid Icarus one or the one made for switch while playing with a controller relaxed on your lap.

19. Kartik

Kartik Gbatemp advanced fan

Jun 6, 2015
    India
    github
    This is possible by using input redirection and wiinupro.

Last edited by Kartik, May 1, 2017