[Request] Amiibo NFC backup homebrew

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by medoli900, Jun 7, 2016.

1. medoli900
    OP

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    I searched for a homebrew that could backup Amiibo directly through the N3DS or the 3DS NFC Reader, but to no avail.
    I found an old topic which asked if there was one, but the only answer I found was to use a cellphone NFC or a powersave. I don't have either, and I don't want to buy a powersave for 30-40$ neither a cellphone. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but if there is a limitation that hinder this particular homebrew development, I would like to know.

2. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    It needs to detect the actual thing, which homebrew cannot do. (NFC signals iirc)

3. medoli900
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    Isn't it possible to emulate the NFC reading (like a game would do) to copy the signal into a file, which could be rewritten into the Amiibo? Maybe a .3dsx wouldn't have enough privilege, but a .cia should as far as I know.

4. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    You'd have to redirect it, possibly making a patched amiibo reader

5. DinkyBoo

DinkyBoo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2016
    Just wondering, if its possible to use an android phone with nfc to write amiibo information to an nfc tag, is there a way you could just cut out the middle man (the tag) and just use the android device as the nfc tag (if you know what i mean)
    Obviously if there was an app for it too.

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States

Attached Files:

• nfc.zip
      File size:
      228.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Haruka

Haruka Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    If you only want to read/write appInfo from/to amiibo, then yes, there is an application that can achieve your goal (called NfpManager iirc).
    If you want to dump the full data of an amiibo to a file, or clone an amiibo using an existing data file, then no, this involves some encryption or something that currently has not been implemented.

8. medoli900
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    So if I want to backup an Amiibo to use with Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, I am out of luck with this app, right?
    At least I can backup my second Mario Amiibo, which is tied to Sm4sh, clear his data, use it with Paper Jam, then recover the Sm4sh data. It doesn't help for those Amiibo that I don't have in second copy though.

Yes, I think just Appdata is enough. I can't find the application that you mention though. Is it for Android? If so, I don't have a cellphone.

Last edited by medoli900, Jun 7, 2016
  9. kbmarinha

kbmarinha GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 21, 2009
    Brazil
    If you had you could use TagMo apk. You can backup or write your amiibo data

10. ultramario1998

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    So, if we are in fact able to make amiibo backups on our N3ds, what specifically is stopping us from using the NFC reader from writing to blank NTags?

11. medoli900
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    That is out of topic though, since I asked without any external hardware other than the NFC Reader for 3DS and the actual Amiibo.
    Also, as I understand, we can't make 1:1 copy of an Amiibo, only the Appdata.

12. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    if it's possible to backup (you mean the figure or the save?), maybe it could be possible to writte?

13. medoli900
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    What I would like to backup, to be precise, is the Paper Jam saved section on the Amiibo, to be able to have the foil card without actually having two time the same Amiibo.

Also, don't point out "You just have to install NTR" or "Just cheat it". That would be out of the point. I don't want to cheat, I want to have the foil cards "legitly", only with only one Amiibo, not two.

Last edited by medoli900, Jun 7, 2016
  14. Haruka

Haruka Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    I apologize for my bad memory. NfpManager, which is a 3DS application, can not backup any data. It can only read amiibo, then edit the data that just read, and finally write the editted data back to amiibo. It has no priority for writing to SD card, so it can not backup the data read from amiibo to a file.
    I believe I can write an application that is able to backup and restore any amiibo's appdata to SD card.

medoli900 and Dev5359 like this.
  15. Dev5359

Dev5359 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2016
    United States
    Please do!

16. 3than_H

3than_H Monado Boy

Jan 29, 2016
    United States
    pepe's chicken nugget land
    Where can I find NfpManager?

17. Haruka

Haruka Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    Give me some time. Three or five days may be enough.

Well, I can't share it with you for an obvious reason. You might be able to find it on *you know what* site. I believe someone in this forum also owns it. Here is an image for you so that you can find it more easily.
    IMG_20160613_104918.jpg

18. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    Curious, would be it possible to make an NTR plugin or something like that to emulate scanning an Amiibo?
    Like you press game plugin, it gives you a list of Amiibo data you've obtained through some means, you select one and the game acts like you just scanned it as an Amiibo?

Presuming not or it would have been done by now, but I'm curious.

19. TheRex213

TheRex213 Banned

Banned
    May 26, 2016
    United States
    @Haruka oh hay, basic Ctr sdk 11 stuff huh? :P Ever try Fangate FW Updater on retail? I have yet to decrypt it granted its actual functionality, probably won't work since it needs the panda NFC keys. :P

20. Haruka

Haruka Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    Yes, it is from CTRSDK. I haven't tried Fangate FW Updater. Other than that, all other applications related to NFC work normally on retail consoles.