biggrin.gif
! I will have a backup off Smash bros, will try it tomorrow and post my results
wink.gif
!

hackeruk

Trophies
XP
Country
i will be testing my copy of ssbb on my yaosm chip 2moz and post my results p.s. i dunno where my verbatim dl dvds are from

emirof

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chrizrockz.. what happens when you boot from the Verb DL DVD?

I have the same discs, don't have any other to hand atm.

I can boot on my Wiinja but it freezes at a white screen. Single layer disc works fine.

Can you boot at all using your indian DL verbs?
Yes that's the disk I'm using too and mine freezes at the exact same point, where the intro movie is suppose to start. I guess those disks don't work with the wii.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is true that some burners are crappy with say 90% of the media. They work fine with the other 10%.

Then there is media that is crappy with 90% of the burner. But works ok with the other 10%.

So there is no ONE SINGLE brand of burner or brand of media that can be recommended. If you have a crappy burner (i.e. one that is very old or a laptop one), you are going to have to go through lots of media to find the one that works for you.

If you have a very good burner, you could still come accross "crappy" media that won't work rigth for you (will be hard to read by most readers).

So we can only give you general advice. In general, Pioneer (some models) and Samsung (some models) are good double-layer burners. And in general, Verbatim is the best double-layer brand, more specifically their media with the label DVD+R DL 2.4x-6x on the box and the made in singapore label.

But the poster above is right. The Verbatims DL made in india (as oppossed to the ones made in Singapore and elsewhere) are just as crappy as other DL brands. And their DVD+R DL 8x labeled media is different. Also good, but not as good as the 2.4x-6x media.

So another example that we can just not give you a general recomendation. You have to keep trying to see what works for you. And if you have a crappy recorder, giving that you are gonna have problems with 4 or 5 different brands/speed combinations before you get a good burn that your Wii can recognize, at $3 for each blank disc, it may be chearper just to buy a new burner for $40.

That's also not accounting for the fact that some Wii's are going to read some discs better than other Wii's. If you have a Wii factory calibrated with the laser "a bit weak", it would be possible that a burnt disc that works fine in a friends Wii doesn't work in yours (where you would require an even better burn for your Wii to "see" the disc properly). A repair house tested Wii's lasers informaly and found that up to 50% were tuned too low for proper Dual Layer RECORDABLE media (this is not the same as PRESSED ORIGINAL media, which is always "much better")

Again, you can read the article in ign.com or tgdaily.com about some Wii's freezing and having disc-reading problems EVEN on the ORIGINAL high-quaility disc and Nintendo claiming that it was because dust and smoke made the lenses dirty and not properly able to read the dual layer game

IGN: Nintendo to Clean Japanese Wiis Over Smash Bros. Errors

So, again, before you suspect problems with anything else and start blaming the modchips or the firmware etc, you MUST try at least two brands of disk, at two different speeds, on two different burners and with two different recording softwares (

kingofkingz24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mine works perfectly fine
imgburn 4x
no regionfree on iso
You will recieve the green error message halfway thru story mode becuase wii lasers arend strong enough to read DL on a long period of playing time.
Wiikey 1.9g
NTSC_U
Memorex DL+R

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thelink:

That's also a VERY GOOD recommendation. Some chips firmware (or even the firmware on the Wii reader by itself) could get a bit confused when different medias are inserted and not recognized properly or the modchip doesn't sync up properly until you turn it off and back on.

But it shouldn't matter if you insert it while it's off or on. I'm sure you can now insert it when it's on also.

But this kind of scenenarios happens sometimes. There even was one software revision of one chip (don't remember which) that had a bug as follows: when you turned on the wii with a disc inside, it would (erroneusly) set its operation for the inserted disc's region. If the inserted disc's region was different than your Wii's, all other inserted discs after that would not work.

Turning the wii off and back on solved the problem.

But I'm sure people here are trying turning their wii's off and back on between tries of different discs they have produced. If you are not, please take this is account.

If you insert a (bad) disc that the Wii can not recognize properly, the wii's DVD reader firmware, or the modchip firmware could get "too" confused, "lock up", and not work right from then on with other inserted discs until the wii is powered off.

This should not happen and would only be a very rare occasional problem, but *hit and bugs happen, so if you insert a "bad" disc and want to try another one, reseting your wii's in-between tries is always a good idea.

kingofkingz24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are directions to get a succesful DVD9 copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl to Work!

If you havent already, burn the DVD5 version, patch it with regionfrii or brickblocker doesnt matter.
(make sure your config disk is set to region override)
Insert the game and let it update 100% , make sure the game works!(2 japanese duplicate channels will appear)

Burn the DVD9 version, no need to patch with anything.

Insert the disk and it will automatically play.! thats it. NOT complicated at ALL!!

NTSC wii with Wiikey 1.9g
Toshiba DL Burner
Memorex DL disk+r 8x
Imgburn 4x

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Pal wii 3.1E

Updated 100% with dvd5
Burned on 24 with IMGburn, fujitsu DVD+R DL
Wiikey 1.9g

DVD9 works fine.
But i think it crashes sometimes if i play with mario. Not sure if that's the reason. Also sometimes when i boot it the framerate is really poor and i've boot it few times before it works.
That also happened with DVD5 version.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Here are directions to get a succesful DVD9 copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl to Work!

If you havent already, burn the DVD5 version, patch it with regionfrii or brickblocker doesnt matter.
(make sure your config disk is set to region override)
Insert the game and let it update 100% , make sure the game works!(2 japanese duplicate channels will appear)

Burn the DVD9 version, no need to patch with anything.

Insert the disk and it will automatically play.! thats it. NOT complicated at ALL!!

NTSC wii with Wiikey 1.9g
Toshiba DL Burner
Memorex DL disk+r 8x
Imgburn 4x

Well, you don't even need to do that. It's even simpler, as has been explained tons of time:

-Just burn the dvd9 version. On non-japanese Wii's, if your chip has autoregion enabled, you are fine. If not (and you don't want to enable it), then just use regionfrii (on the Dvd9 iso) before you burn it. If your wii is japanese, you don't even have to worry about anything.

-Put it in your wii (make sure you are at 3.1 upgrade level BEFORE you do this), accept the update and play.

No need for the DVD5 version of anything.

[WARNINGS: You will get duplicated channels on non-japanese wii's doing this (unless you use the 15% trick). Be aware that your wii can semi-brick or totally stop working if you are not one a level 3.1 update (3.1u in usa, 3.1e in europe) BEFORE you accept the smash bross update in non-japanese wii's. If you want to avoid the duplicate channels, read about the 15% "metroid trick" and how to do it.]

That's it. No problems, no errors, etc. IF YOU HAVE A GOOD DVD9 BURN. We all get the occasional disc errors with copies or scratched originals sometimes, but never if the disc/burnt is good. Same here, except that good dual-layer burns are a HALLELUYAH harder to come accross than single layers. And the Wii itself has a harder time reading dual layers even if they are original too. So if you are getting errors etc with your DVD9 disc ... well, try again with different media, different speed, different burners until you find one which produces a copy your wii can read without freezing/problems booting/#001 error/DRE (Disc-Reading-Errors). It may take MANY tries and well, honestly, some burners are just basically not able to produce good quality dual layer burns almost at all. Sad fact, but new good burners are only $35.

rugdoctor

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have successfully backed-up using:

My Wii is a PAL regioned, 3.1E firmwared and Wiikeyed to 1.9g

1) Verbatim +R DL
2) Using a Pioneer DVR-111D at default firmware and drivers under Windows XP
3) ImgBurn set at 2.4x and at default settings
4) Wii B.Blocker 1.3 R2 (after using a Verbatim +R RW to 15% unplug trick with the D5 version)

Results:

*Direct bootable
*Able to access all the DVD contents in the last 2 hours of play ( have not tried Wifi yet )
*Pretty sure Wii would reject the disk in one or two occasions, with the green japanese character screen cream back ground . ( Just reinsert the disk solves that..Wii lens may need a clean soon)

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Memorex DVD+R DL here. I've finished Subspace Emmisary with no issues or problems.

Actually the first burn failed, was using the Roxio suite. DVD Decrypter didn't want anything to do with the ISO. Nero Essentials 7 (came with the drive) did the trick.

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, this is going to sound really silly, and I hope this is the right topic to post this, but here goes:

I have the DL ISO, and tried to burn it using my regular method at first:
- K3b using growisofs (never failed me before), all settings on automatic.
I used a Philips DVD+R DL, and it worked fine at first, but at exactly 50% of the burning it gave me an input/output error. Both the writer and the program are supposed to support DL.
Then, I tried my little brother's PC, using imgburn on default settings, same DVD type. This also failed, but at 30%, giving me a write error on a certain sector.

The ISO extracted without errors and I assume it's fine. I didn't patch it with anything, so that's not the problem either.

Anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Situation update on my case:
Still not sure what happened in K3b, didn't try again, might be a one-time problem.
Figured out what was wrong with the imgburn copy, it crashed at 30% because of a HUGE scratch on the disk at that position (weird, it was new and straight from the packaging...). No wonder. Burned a fresh disk, and it worked. Burned another for a friend as well, again no problems.

Results running the burned copy, again, this is completely unpatched:
Both TDK and Philips DVD+R DL disks work flawlessly for me, running latest version WiiKey (1.9g) on a PAL Wii.
It loads up just fine in 480p, all movies play smooth, all game modes work. Haven't had any crashes or slowdowns of any kind so far (over 2 hours of gameplay time). I didn't have to use any tricks or whatever. Worked straight "out of the box".

Basically, I'm happy
smile.gif

mark0217

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
LG Burner, Verbatim DL media, NTSC-U Wii with Wiinja Deluxe.
Doesn't bloody work.
sleep.gif
I ran a grand total of ONE time, and that time i got the white screen hang before intro movie. Tried swapping with DVD5 version, doesn't work.

beauchampy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
LG Burner, Verbatim DL media, NTSC-U Wii with Wiinja Deluxe.
Doesn't bloody work.
sleep.gif
I ran a grand total of ONE time, and that time i got the white screen hang before intro movie. Tried swapping with DVD5 version, doesn't work.

serious? the DL worked once with the wiinja?
first i've heard of anyone getting the DL to work with wiinja, whatever the media (no swapping)..

acidrain

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On a 3.1U Wii w/ Wiikey 1.9g

Memorex DVD+R DL (Disc ID : RITEK-S04-66 according to ImgBurn)
Using a Pioneer DVR-111L (DVR-111D with 111L 8.29 RPC-1 firmware)
ImgBurn set at 2.4x and at default settings
Didn't brickblock, I don't care for the double channels

Works flawlessly, played vs for 5 hours straight, played Subspace Emissary for about 1h and wifi perfectly working.

shadow1psc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii: US Launch console.
Firmware: 3.1u
Chip: Wiikey w/ 1.9g
DVD Burner: LG External media writer.
Media: Memorex DL DVD+R
Burning Software: Nero (sorry don't have the version number).
Speed: 4x.

I inserted the DL disc, updated 100% and the game worked. The opening movie stuttered and gave me the green text, but ejecting and reinserting the disc fixed it. Played Vs. mode for 3 hours with 4 people, unlocked Ness, Marth, Snake and Luigi. Some load times took longer than what would seemingly be normal, but no freezing or stuttering.

S0meguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
PAL Wii 3.1E
Wiikey 1.9g

Burner: Plextor PX716A
Disc: Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL (Made in Singapore)
Imgburn 2.4x

Installed the update to 100% of the DVD5-Version a few days ago.
Got Double Channels.

Now I downloaded the Caravan release per bittorrent.
Burned at 2.4x after a fresh reboot and without doing anything on the PC while it was burning.
Worked on first try after putting the DL disc into my Wii.
After 20 seconds of blackscreen it worked fine on 60hz(With Deflicker turned off)
All the movies in the movie folder work.
No crash/disc error after 30minutes of playing SSE yet.

Seems like everything is working flawlessly, except the Virtual Console Game Trails and that I can't seem to find anyone to connect to in Wifi-Free4All mode. Connecting to Friends is working.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Wii: PAL Wii 3.1E w/Wiikey 1.9g
Drive: Pioneer DVR-110D
Media: Verbatim DVD+R DL
App: Imgburn at both 2.4x / 4x

Previously installed the full update and have triple channels.

Burnt ISO off usenet at 2.4x and 4x seperately for testing purposes, both worked perfectly first try with no swapping. About 10 hours of gameplay on the 4x copy currently and not a single error screen or problem thus far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==