Hacking Replacing the battery?

Mettaur3SP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering getting an EZ flash IV, and I've heard the battery runs out eventually. So, two questions:
A. Would it become rechargeable if I replaced the cr2020 with a vl2020 or whatever they used when It was rechargeable?

B. Can someone make a video on how to do such a thing? thanks!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A. Just opened mine, it's a VL2020, which means it's already rechargeable. It just tends to die after X recharging cycles.

B. Just desolder the old one and solder the new one on the same solder pads? :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
VL2020 was the original models and for a few years after.
CR2020 was the later miniSD models.
The new microSD models use a different sort being CR2025.

The CR2020 stuff differs from the rechargeable ones but you could probably replace diodes and resistors as appropriate to get charging going on (no GBA flash cart I have ever seen has had proper charge management for SRAM batteries, the EZ line being no exception), most would just replace the battery again though as it lasts for years -- when carts had a real time clock to power it took effort, half modern SRAM just needing data to be held is not a demanding task. I would be half willing to bet that the internal resistance/general shelf life of batteries plays a role of fair significance in it over just being exhausted by the SRAM.
Edit. Forgot to say if you only had a rechargeable in your kit or something then it would probably work just fine until it dies from deep discharge or something, said VL2020s are used by certain car key fobs though (some BMW if memory serves) so they are quite expensive as sellers realised people would happily pay to fix a key fob that the car companies would charge through the nose for to otherwise replace.

Mettaur3SP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, also, where would I buy one? I've been looking around, and I don't really trust many of the sites i'm seeing.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're that concerned about it, you can also patch most GBA games with different forms of softreset that would allow you to directly reboot back into the EZ4's menu, allowing it to save to the SD. It's not a big deal but might be a nice fallback if you're worried about your battery being low.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo