Homebrew Replacing encryption keys in memory?

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey,

I'm just wondering, with the ARM9 Kernel exploit, and the memory access, would it be possible to replace the encryption keys on a 3DS (temporarily) with own keys?

As I understand the only problem why we can't just encrypt and/or sign homebrew and use it like retail games is because we do not have the private key, but if we would be able to replace the public part of the key on the console we could use our own private key, right?

Or is that some part that we can not access? Or is there something else I'm completely missing here?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
You misunderstand. What consoles have is the PUBLIC key, and Nintendo has the private key, meaning only they can sign software. And if you're referring to reading the console's unique key for signing the software it has installed on sysNAND, that isn't stored in memory. It's stored on a secure cryptoprocessor, along with the algorithm that is used to encrypt/decrypt and the system only gets to ask it what to process and receives the already-processed data back, without the keys ever being stored in memory. Nintendo isn't stupid.

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You misunderstand. What consoles have is the PUBLIC key, and Nintendo has the private key, meaning only they can sign software. And if you're referring to reading the console's unique key for signing the software it has installed on sysNAND, that isn't stored in memory. It's stored on a secure cryptoprocessor, along with the algorithm that is used to encrypt/decrypt and the system only gets to ask it what to process and receives the already-processed data back, without the keys ever being stored in memory. Nintendo isn't stupid.

I don't want to read the private key, I want to replace the public key.
Is the public key also stored in a way we can't touch it?

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I love this thread on gbatemp.. where is the true?
Firts answer = is impossible...
Second = impossible
3= yes u can thats happen when we use gw 7>... lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1