Replacing 3DS Charging port with Micro USB

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by alepolo101, Sep 28, 2014.

1. alepolo101
    OP

alepolo101 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Canada
    Maple Ridge, British Columbia
    Would it be possible to remove the charging port on the back of a 3DS and replace it with a micro USB port?

2. TinyRick

TinyRick Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    This would be one way, but other then that, I'm not sure if what you're looking for is possible.

http://3dscapture.com/

3. alepolo101
    OP

alepolo101 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Canada
    I meant more if it would be electrically possible to unsolder the current power port on the back and solder in a micro-usb port. Just for charging.

4. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    You can buy a 2$ charging cable that can plug into a USB power source from DealExtreme. I personally think Nintendo should have standardized the charging port.

5. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Yes you can, but you must be super-skilled ad soldering. Not even kidding.

Quicker, cheaper and you'll be sure to have a working 3DS after attempting it :P

jagerstaffel likes this.
  6. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Anything is possible with the right tools... but I have no idea how.
    If you're willing to try it, I'm sure you could get it to work, but keep in mind that the 3DS port is slightly bigger than a microUSB port, and it might cause some casing problems.
    And like raulpica said, you need super soldering skills.

7. alepolo101
    OP

alepolo101 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Canada
    Hmmmmm... Would I really need that good of soldering skills? I have decent soldering skills (High school electronics class). Would that be enough? And does anyone have any information of what I'd have to solder where?

And I wanted this more for the cool factor and the fact that I have 5.5 million micro usb cables. (Okay not really but you get the point)

I was also planning on getting a 3DS realy cheap on ebay that has a broken charging port. Would it be harder than replacing it with another nintendo one?

8. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    Please combine your posts.

My suggestion would be, check the pin-out for both and see if they match.

3ds -> http://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-3ds-charger-pinout.305834/
    micro usb -> Google Micro USB Pin-out

Please note that I've only done three solders and I toasted a PS2 installing a mod chip. I'd assume that it is possible. Heck, if you have the right tools you might be able to add the charging port next to the original and have two charging ports (only use one at a time)

9. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, if I was going to do this, I'd probably go for mini USB, not micro. Surely if you have a ton of micro cables around you also have a few mini cables.

10. alepolo101
    OP

alepolo101 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Canada
    Lol I have a ton of mini usbs too. I mostly use them for my ps3 controllers.

EDIT: Doesn't look impossibly hard... And as long as the wiring was right there would be no risk of shorting it? Like Mini/Micro USB and the 3DS port use the same voltage/amperage and such?

11. Zanoab

Zanoab GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    I personally turned my 3ds charging cord into an adapter so I can charge over usb. Much easier, safer, and less risky than messing with the insanely compact circuitry.

I recommend you look up some pics before you commit because most people chicken out of modding their 3ds for nand dumps after opening the case (and some that don't just screw it up).

raulpica likes this.
  12. raulpica

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    You need to be able to desolder SMD components, so you need an Hot Air Station ($50), and to solder the new port you'll need a GOOD soldering iron with supersmall tip, around 2mm ($80). Don't EVER think of doing this with a $10 iron from RadioShack.

Is it worth spending 130 bucks just to solder a microUSB port? Decide for yourself ;)

13. alepolo101
    OP

alepolo101 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Canada
    I'm currently still in high school... And my teacher keeps tho more advanced stuff (like the good soldering irons and a hot air station) in his office so most kids don't break them. So I should be able to get that equipment for free. If it really is impossibly hard, I may be able to enlist his help as well.

EDIT: Sadly I have no clue how do unsolder SMD components... I would have to ask if he could teach me. If I were to replace the port with another 3Ds port would that be easier?

raulpica likes this.
  14. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I'm sure a high school professor will see that as good practice for your electronics class. If you have access to that equipment, it might be possible if you do lots of research and preparation.

raulpica likes this.
  15. raulpica

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    This. Just be prepared to ask for help or you might find yourself with a non-working 3DS :P

16. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    A rework station is not necessary, but it sure would make things a bit easier. There are only 6 points, 2 (+/-) for the connector, 2 (+/-) for he cradle connectors, and 2 anchors.

SmileCitrus likes this.
  17. alepolo101
    OP

alepolo101 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Canada
    So would it be easier to learn how to use a rework station from knowing nothing or use just a soldering iron, already knowing how to use it?

18. raulpica

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    Pretty sure the existing connector is SMD and you need hot air to remove it.

19. alepolo101
    OP

alepolo101 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Canada
    I did see a few youtube videos of how to replace it with another 3DS connector and they didn't use hot air...

20. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I've removed them via soldering iron. I have a spare part motherboard I'm looking at here, and all the points are reachable.