Hardware Replacement Disk Drive

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your time is worth anything, easy fix is just buy another Wii, not replacement drive. They're not rare enough to be very expensive, are they? better yet, if you don't need GC BC (and maybe even if you do Nintendon't may suffice) get a Wii U. Flop or not it's a great system, and easy as balls to hack the Wii mode. I appreciate not wanting to just throw out the old system, but you're spending so much time and it's gotta to be getting annoying and a hassle, so just think if you might not be better served with a replacement. Whatever you do, good luck.

UpsideDownTaco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your time is worth anything, easy fix is just buy another Wii, not replacement drive. They're not rare enough to be very expensive, are they? better yet, if you don't need GC BC (and maybe even if you do Nintendon't may suffice) get a Wii U. Flop or not it's a great system, and easy as balls to hack the Wii mode. I appreciate not wanting to just throw out the old system, but you're spending so much time and it's gotta to be getting annoying and a hassle, so just think if you might not be better served with a replacement. Whatever you do, good luck.
I've got a wii u and I do already use nintendont and usb loaders, but I just want my discs to not just be useless, since I go on my wii more than my wii u.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's funny because everyone else only want their disc to be useless and install all games to USB instead, so they don't have to use and swap discs anymore.
you can use usbloaders and nintendont on wii too, so it's a little strange argument that "you have a Wii too, not only a wiiu, so you need to use disc on it" because you could ALSO use disc on wiiu and not make them useless, I don't see the reasoning here that the non working wii drive would make disc useless. because you use wii more ? hmm, lot of people who use a wii don't use disc anymore, just go with usbloaders too, unless you have non compatible games (we dare, tintin, drivers)

Last edited by Cyan,

UpsideDownTaco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, I understand I'm weird, but I do want this problem fixed. I already use usb loaders and nintendont, but I want to figure out what the exact problem is. I know that there's a million other solutions that could work, but none of them involve actually fixing the problem.

Last edited by UpsideDownTaco,
Reactions: Ryccardo

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
well, if you are so determined, then buy a used Wii, preferably the same model as yours, make sure its working then start by swapping components one by one. Your disk drive might not be the only thing that has gone wrong...
You probably also need to buy a decent repair station to swap the ICs

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
are you sure you dont miss about this things when installing your wii lens? watch the red circle below;
wii disc drive2.jpg

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Bumping is not needed anymore, if there's no answer it means nobody knows. bumping will not make people know your answer.
One day, someone will find this thread and will have the answer to your question (eventually).

MrNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
nice fix, stumble with this problem and similar on the wiis I repair on my work,sometimes it is faster and cheaper to replace the drive or get my client a new wii since I get them for 5 dollars or less.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I love how insurance companies can deny procedures because they deem it not medically necessary despite the procedure being ordered by a doctor
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Going with that right now with a dental claim morons put the wrong company name and rejected claims been on hold an hour for the claims department
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, BTW is it better to go usb or bt for these mini Pcs figure you may know since you play with rack systems so much
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Counting my blessings that my insurance hasn't caused me really any headache (yet, at least) despite the fact that I've been getting way more appointments and what not recently due
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, what do you mean, what are you trying to do?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just looking at a built in mouse pad keyboard combo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I loose the dongle constantly but they may have better connection with usb frequency
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Imo Bluetooth is always a option of last resort for me
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Except for phones because it tends to be pretty reliable there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a bad habit of taking out usb transmitter and loosing it because they can't you know print names on the damn things
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    But any desktop OS, I've never had anything but frustration trying to get Bluetooth devices to work reliably and stable. It might pair and connect once, and then next time I go to use it I have to delete and re-pair it again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5.3 has been so good I think 6 is really going to make it stable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember how shit 3 was
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ptouch labeler aren't terribly expensive, label shit yourself fam. This is the one I own and there are cheaper ones too https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-PTH110BP-Portable-included/dp/B09QXYND6S
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Solves part of the problem, mixing up which dongle is which. Then you just have to not lose them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Double D would be proud
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Even my Xbox One controller I have it paired to my desktop over Bluetooth, it USUALLY works but sometimes it refuses to connect and I have to delete and re-pair it. Maddening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gigabytes built in mobo bt/wifi pairs pretty decent
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That's what I'm using :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ran a driver update in device manager?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Not recently but I think it's less a driver issue and more just Windows having a garbage Bluetooth stack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be I was having issues when I first upgraded it and didn't realiser gigabyte has specific driver revisions which is stupid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Which is married to the boards revision
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Made my first review
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I've gone years without ever removing a logitech usb transmitter. Across several replacements of keyboards and mice. It just stays put.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: I've gone years without ever removing a logitech usb transmitter. Across several replacements of...