Replace NNID with homebrew?

Butterscotch_96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to change the NNID my 3DS is signed into as growing up I had different NNIDs on my Wii U and 3DS. I obviously want the same NNID on my 3DS and I found a way to remove it but I don't know if I'll be able to log in with a new one. I DO NOT want to format the system memory and that is why I said i want to use homebrew to do it.

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can remove it using the godmode9 payload.

If you bring up the scripts menu, select GM9Megascript, then Scripts from Plailect's guide, then Remove NNID.

It will remove the nnid without doing a system format.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can remove it using the godmode9 payload.
I think OP knows that already:
I found a way to remove it but I don't know if I'll be able to log in with a new one

But in answer to the question, I think you do have to format the System Memory to log in with a different NNID. (Otherwise you could have software from two different NNIDs installed, and I'm pretty sure tickets don't work that way.)

I DO NOT want to format the system memory
Perhaps you could elaborate as to why? Most information can be backed up with CFW and restored after a format.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
There are 2 types of NNID unlinks:

A "soft" unlink -- done using either the NNID removal script or by deleting the NNID info files -- unlinks your NNID w/o formatting, and lets you link or register a new NNID. But, in the Nintendo databases, the unlinking won't delete the fact that it is linked to your console, and that NNID won't be able to be linked to any other console than the one you just unlinked it from.

And a "hard" unlink -- done using a system format and/or transfer -- will not only let you link a new one, but will also connect to id.nintendo.net and let Nintendo know that the NNID isn't currently linked to any console, so you can go and link the unlinked NNID to any 3DS.

Perhaps you could elaborate as to why? Most information can be backed up with CFW and restored after a format.
A format shuffles your console's encryption key. Good luck recovering from the brick that you'll get from restoring your old, encrypted NAND backup.

Butterscotch_96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 2 types of NNID unlinks:

A "soft" unlink -- done using either the NNID removal script or by deleting the NNID info files -- unlinks your NNID w/o formatting, and lets you link or register a new NNID. But, in the Nintendo databases, the unlinking won't delete the fact that it is linked to your console, and that NNID won't be able to be linked to any other console than the one you just unlinked it from.

And a "hard" unlink -- done using a system format and/or transfer -- will not only let you link a new one, but will also connect to id.nintendo.net and let Nintendo know that the NNID isn't currently linked to any console, so you can go and link the unlinked NNID to any 3DS.

A format shuffles your console's encryption key. Good luck recovering from the brick that you'll get from restoring your old, encrypted NAND backup.
so what you're saying is the gm9 script will let me link a new one?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For starters, I didn't say anything about making a NAND backup. I meant using Checkpoint, i.e. producing decrypted data.

Secondly, people restore NAND backups relatively frequently; a brick only occurs if you restore a NAND backup to a console different from the one that was used to create it (as it stores other console-specific information unrelated to the encryption key). Otherwise what would be the point to making a NAND backup in the first place? It is of course not relevant here since it causes different problems with the NNID.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol here we go again.