Replace Motherboard?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by KodyKaplish, Apr 27, 2014.

1. KodyKaplish
    OP

KodyKaplish GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Hi can you replace a 3ds motherboard? If so can anyone tell me how or give me a link thanks.

2. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    It can be done, but if you want to do this because of a bricked system (from using a flashcart with bricking firmware) you really should consider fixing it instead. All the needed information can be found here on this forum. You can even send it to someone who would do it for a reasonable fee.

3. Dan-the-Rebirth

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    short answer: ebay

you even can get 4.1-4.5 motherboards if you look long enough

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
  5. philroy

philroy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2014
    I replaced my mobo and it took me about 2 hours I followed a video from you tube and took my time I also made sure I had the right screw driver as well somebody who knows what they are doing could do it in half an hour that's how easy it is

yuyuyup likes this.
  6. milerwan

milerwan Seasoned technician

Dec 21, 2013
    France
    Your 3DS motherboard is dead or just bricked ?

7. bartimeaus91

bartimeaus91 Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.

Banned
    Apr 4, 2014
    United States
    Yeap. Unless you want to get a 4.5 cheaply, if your 3ds is bricked, it might be easier to unbrick it than to replace the motherboard. Marginally safer too.

8. johnestan

johnestan Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    I swapped my motherboard out so I could get my pokemon x and y special edition xl on 4.5. It is not bad at all. I didn't have any problems. Much less fragile than those ds lites.
    I use this guide http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-3ds/3DS_XL_Shell_Swapping
    and referered to this video a little

9. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    Swapping the motherboard in a 3DS system is not a very good idea, it involves a lot of work and you really need to know what you are doing. I have experience with opening up a 3DS system and even Nintendo says they've made it themselves hard. You can mess up your camera's as well once you detach them, you can mess up ribbon cables so the system doesn't start up at all anymore and so on. I'd rather advice to get a new one since in the end it's safer and there's no use of just swapping your motherboard. Your saves on your SD will be gone anyways.

10. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Pretty much that.
    Unless you got a custom shell or limited edition 3DS, I'd not do it.
    Just cope with the loss and get a new one or ask someone to flash back your original NAND if you where smart enough to back it up with your flashcard.

11. KodyKaplish
    OP

KodyKaplish GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    ok thanks guys.

12. mcsdoode

mcsdoode Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2007
    The Naniwa

I have swapped the shell/board on my 3DSXL and it wasn't that bad. As other have mentioned, if you ware patient and careful, it isn't a big deal. The only danger I see is potentially snapping the ribbon cables as they are rather small and can be a pain to reconnect. If you do go for it, I would recommend buying a cheap electronics screw driver set and some electronics tweezers.

13. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Replacing the motherboard is easy and way cheaper than buying a new system.

14. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    in my opinion, replacing the 3ds mother board is not that much work, i find the hardest part of 3ds repair is the speaker/camera/top screen area.
    if you are just replacing the motherboard you will not need to separate the top and bottom halves of the 3ds, and you will not have to worry about threading the 3 ribbon cables through the hinge - which is the absolute worst part for me.
    good luck :)

15. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    I still don't recommend doing it yourself. You can seriously screw up your system.(And if you want to use AR features the chances are you camera's won't work so you cannot access those)

16. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i would imagine that anyone considering replacing their motherboard would realize that it is a little tricky... but sure, if you are not a careful and patient person, and you have not done things like this before, maybe stay away. i don't understand why you think the camera will get messed up though? did you have problems with it yourself...? it doesn't mean everyone else will right.

17. khalaan

khalaan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    Minnesota
    I have two XLs that I transplanted 4.x motherboards into that I bought off eBay, one is my development unit the other is my Maril and Luigi edition that I use for gateway.