Hardware replace a broken ds lite top screen

pdeboer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a problem with my ds lite, the top screen will go white occasionally. This eventually cause f2 fuse to blow due to the short. I believe I solved the fuse problem because I read you can just solder over them without any problems. I opened up my ds lite and found that there was a crack in the flat wire. The crack was hardly visible but it was there. I decided to fix this problem myself with a replacement top screen bought from deal extreme. It arrived but had scratches on it already so you might want to try a different site. Anyway I disassembled my ds with an online tutorial on youtube that showed how to replace the housing. But I can't find anything on replacing the top screen. I see now why, it involves soldering the speakers on and possibly a grounding strip. If anyone has help it would be appreciated. I'm going to attempt it anyway so I'll update when I'm done.

PS I found a good site that talks about blown fuses on a ds lite

http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_D...le_(blown_fuse)

pdeboer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright so the operation was a success. here is a full problem report and solution. I should also note that I am 2 years electrical engineering, so I know somewhat what I'm doing also some of this might be beyond the average person.

PROBLEM

My particular problem started when I flipped open my ds lite and the screen went partially white. It would have every second vertical pixel line color bright white. I could wiggle it until it showed the proper colors but that got worst over time. Eventually I opened my case and placed a small piece of non conductive straw in the hinge where the flat wire was coming from the top half of the ds lite. I figured that the flat wire had a short circuit in it somewhere due to bending it over and over. The straw would hopefully hold it in a place where there was no short. I turned my ds lite on and it was still turning white. It was around then that I tried to charge my ds lite. I plugged it into a Nintendo charger and the orange charge lite wouldn't come on. This is most likely because the short cause an excess current draw which blew a fuse, it still turned on though. I did some research and decided to run out the battery before preforming surgery. That didn't help.

SOLUTION:

So I read the above wiki about the fuses which seemed promising. I opened her up and check the connectivity of the fuses with an ohmmeter/ multimeter. F2 from the diagrams was fried, but F1 was not. I put a glob of solder over F2 to bypass the fuse. Thats not really a good idea since those fuses are there for a reason. I'm sure you can find one that could substitute but I figured I'd risk it. I put it back together and plugged in the charger, and the orange light came on. This isn't the end though since if I turned on my ds, that short in the top screen flat wire would fry something probably. So I ordered a new screen from DX and it came.

To replace the top screen and to take apart the shell go here http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-...ntendo-DS-Lite/

all you need to know, could of helped if I saw that first. either way mine is working despite a burnt pixel and several flaws in the screen. Definitely get a Nintendo screen if you are going to replace it. But for sure avoid DX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far