replace a broken ds lite top screen

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by pdeboer, Mar 12, 2008.

1. pdeboer
    OP

pdeboer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2007
    Canada
    I have a problem with my ds lite, the top screen will go white occasionally. This eventually cause f2 fuse to blow due to the short. I believe I solved the fuse problem because I read you can just solder over them without any problems. I opened up my ds lite and found that there was a crack in the flat wire. The crack was hardly visible but it was there. I decided to fix this problem myself with a replacement top screen bought from deal extreme. It arrived but had scratches on it already so you might want to try a different site. Anyway I disassembled my ds with an online tutorial on youtube that showed how to replace the housing. But I can't find anything on replacing the top screen. I see now why, it involves soldering the speakers on and possibly a grounding strip. If anyone has help it would be appreciated. I'm going to attempt it anyway so I'll update when I'm done.

PS I found a good site that talks about blown fuses on a ds lite

http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_D...le_(blown_fuse)

2. pdeboer
    OP

pdeboer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2007
    Canada
    Alright so the operation was a success. here is a full problem report and solution. I should also note that I am 2 years electrical engineering, so I know somewhat what I'm doing also some of this might be beyond the average person.

PROBLEM

My particular problem started when I flipped open my ds lite and the screen went partially white. It would have every second vertical pixel line color bright white. I could wiggle it until it showed the proper colors but that got worst over time. Eventually I opened my case and placed a small piece of non conductive straw in the hinge where the flat wire was coming from the top half of the ds lite. I figured that the flat wire had a short circuit in it somewhere due to bending it over and over. The straw would hopefully hold it in a place where there was no short. I turned my ds lite on and it was still turning white. It was around then that I tried to charge my ds lite. I plugged it into a Nintendo charger and the orange charge lite wouldn't come on. This is most likely because the short cause an excess current draw which blew a fuse, it still turned on though. I did some research and decided to run out the battery before preforming surgery. That didn't help.

SOLUTION:

So I read the above wiki about the fuses which seemed promising. I opened her up and check the connectivity of the fuses with an ohmmeter/ multimeter. F2 from the diagrams was fried, but F1 was not. I put a glob of solder over F2 to bypass the fuse. Thats not really a good idea since those fuses are there for a reason. I'm sure you can find one that could substitute but I figured I'd risk it. I put it back together and plugged in the charger, and the orange light came on. This isn't the end though since if I turned on my ds, that short in the top screen flat wire would fry something probably. So I ordered a new screen from DX and it came.

To replace the top screen and to take apart the shell go here http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-...ntendo-DS-Lite/

all you need to know, could of helped if I saw that first. either way mine is working despite a burnt pixel and several flaws in the screen. Definitely get a Nintendo screen if you are going to replace it. But for sure avoid DX.

3. gratefulbuddy

gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    on the wheel
    Agreed, stay away from DX screens. Mine has a dead pixel and 4-5 stuck pixels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice