Repairing 2DS Touch Screen?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Simplicity, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Simplicity
    OP

Simplicity Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    Hi all! This may not be the best place to post this, but I figured there's at least a few people here who may be able to point me in the right direction.

A friend of mine has a 2DS on firmware 9.8, and wanted a vulnerable 2DS, with 9.20 and below. I purchased a "broken" 2DS off ebay, with a vulnerable firmware, and only one defect.
    The bottom touch screen does not work. The screen works/displays everything correctly, but no inputs made by touching the bottom screen react. So the idea was to swap the screen in his functional but not vulnerable 2DS into the 2DS with a vulnerable firmware.

However, that didn't work. After swapping the screens, and touch digitizers nothing changed. Putting the working touch digitizer, and screen in the vulnerable firmware motherboard only resulted in the bottom touch screen (still) not working. While putting the (what I thought was) broken screen/touch digitizer in the 9.8 firmware motherboard, resulted in a fully functional touch screen.

So, if the issue isn't the screen, and it isn't the touch digitizer, what is wrong here?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Could be that the socket on the motherboard is damaged or the chip that controls the digitizer itself is somehow damaged or not making proper contact with the board. That's just a guess though.

3. Simplicity
    OP

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    Yes, probably. Hopefully not.

If that is the case, what are my options? Am I basically screwed?

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If it's just the socket it can be fixed by someone with soldering skills, or if the chip is fried you could take a working chip from another board, it might not be worth the trouble though.
    For sure the easiest way would be a mobo swap but that would sort of ruin the point :P
    I'm wary of buying broken consoles even if they seem like an easy fix since you never really know for sure. Especially if water damage is involved, any number of things could be shorted. Might be best to sell it on to someone else and try your luck with another broken console, or get a working one.

5. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Why doesn't your friend just sell their 2DS and buy a new one? It's not like any new 2DS systems will have even 8.x firmware.

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
  7. Simplicity
    OP

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    So after failing to do any sort of repair, I shelved them.

After turning them on, both touch screens are now nonfunctional, any ideas?