Renaming 3DS internal Rom Name

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by bartimeaus91, Apr 20, 2014.

1. bartimeaus91
    OP

bartimeaus91 Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.

Banned
    Apr 4, 2014
    United States
    Some rom dumps do not have proper rom names.

For example, if for the dump for SuperAwesomeGame, when using GW to select the rom. It shows up as SuperAwesomeGame.3ds instead of SuperAwesomeGame.

Is there a way to rename the internal name?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I've noticed this too but I think it might have to do with the ROM using some character that the GW doesn't recognize and so it defaults to the filename.
    That's just a guess though.
    Actually I would prefer if it always showed the filename (minus extension) so I could change the name shown. Some games spread the game name over multiple lines for example, which won't show the name correctly since the GW only displays one line of the name.

3. kevin_1351

kevin_1351 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    Swaziland
    Lugano, Switzerland
    I've actually been trying to do this for the last couple of hours hahaha (#coincidence)

In my case I want to play on two different saves on pokemon x. The only way of doing this is by duplicating the rom of course, but in the OSD both have the same name. So I'd like to rename them to know which one is which.

If we somehow just could edit the rom header.

4. Jockel

Jockel This is where you're wrong, kiddo

Apr 14, 2008
    Germany
    Germany
    It's easy, the one on the right is the newer one.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    If it's a card1 game it will still load/overwrite the save of the other copy

Nvm I just read it's pokemon XD

6. kevin_1351

kevin_1351 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    Swaziland
    Lugano, Switzerland
    It would have been so easy for Gateway to add some naming rule like: if the name starts with a _ then it should keep the filename or whatever. Monster hunter for example doesn't have the name declared in the description part of its header; so it uses its filename with .3ds as OP says.

3ds Explorer can read the title, so there has to be some way to edit that.

7. kevin_1351

kevin_1351 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    Swaziland
    Lugano, Switzerland
    No one?? Really?

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Use pokemon x and pokemon Y :P

Ps afaik the game name is stored in the ncch partition which is still signed, so the game won't load if you tamper with the ncch area

9. kevin_1351

kevin_1351 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    Swaziland
    Lugano, Switzerland
    So there's no other option than waiting for Gateway to fix this? (If they ever will)

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well its not really a "bug" just you would like a extra feature, maybe you could email them and see if they can add it in a future update :)

i originally emailed them about adding region free for classic mode and that got added so you never know :)