Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was enjoying my iphone until I got a text message from AT&T (becouse you have a smart phone, it requires data plan). I bought it from Craigslist and I didn't need a data plan for it (I used Wi-fi).
So is there any Cydia app to hide my iphone from carrier?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There used to be a way to disguise your iPhone as another kind of phone, but it's so outdated that it wouldn't work these days. It used to be that you could get an iPhone from somewhere else and AT&T wouldn't notice. I'm hearing more and more about peoples' iPhones being noticed. I have a friend who bought an iPhone from somewhere else, but his friend's girlfriend (who worked at AT&T) snooped around in his account and saw this. She tacked on the data plan and got rewarded for it. There seems to be a major incentive to find iPhones without data plans. This is why I have an iPod Touch.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I don't know much about US tariffs and policies... But can't you switch provider?
Not here. Legally, the GSM iPhone should only be on AT&T. Software and hardware hacks however allow it to be used on T-Mobile. I would just terminate the service if you're not using their 3G or EDGE.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
verizon does the same thing
they wont activate any smart phone unless you purchase a data plan along with it

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
Originality said:
I don't know much about US tariffs and policies... But can't you switch provider?
Not here. Legally, the GSM iPhone should only be on AT&T.
There are no no legal implications involved with using an unlocked handset on another carrier.

then you cant use it as a phone anymore...
I dont think it will even boot
If the device has been activated on a network previously, then it will work fine without a SIM card (obviously excluding cellular calls or data). There are also workarounds for arbitrarily activating the device without ever having a SIM card.

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gagarin said:
I was enjoying my iphone until I got a text message from AT&T (becouse you have a smart phone, it requires data plan). I bought it from Craigslist and I didn't need a data plan for it (I used Wi-fi).
So is there any Cydia app to hide my iphone from carrier?

Unfortunetly, AT&T's policy is that if you have a recognized smartphone, you have a data plan. Its complete crap, but except for T-Mobile all the other carriers do the same so they can get away with it. They detected you based on your phone's IMEI number, which is a unique number assigned to each cell phone made. When a phone company wants to get a certain model phone on a carrier, part of the agreement is that they give every IMEI number for that model to the carrier so they can detect what phones a user may be using. This is why some people can get away with importing certian Android phones and use them in the US without data plans.

IF and ONLY IF you have an iPhone 2G AND are willing to downgrade to iOS 2.X, there is a hack to change your IMEI number, although its of grey area legality. If you take this route, make sure you change it to the IMEI of a dumbphone that IS NOT and WILL NOT EVER AGAIN be in service or YOU WILL get caught. Otherwise, your only hope for running without a data plan is to unlock it and get service with T-Mobile. Doing so will make you loose 3G capability, but if your not using any data that shouldnt matter.

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
@Gagarin, how long have you been using the iPhone before they send you the message?

I've been using one (got it from a friend) for 2 weeks and still no message from AT&T. Hope I'm safe
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare