Removing everything...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Quinn95, Mar 20, 2011.

Mar 20, 2011

Removing everything... by Quinn95 at 2:46 AM (1,520 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Quinn95
    OP

Newcomer Quinn95 Member

United States
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking to take all homebrew related items off of my Wii. It's become more of a pain, and I don't really use my Wii anymore anyway, so it's mostly worthless.
    I am on firmware 4.2. I can't remember what firmware updates the boot2 (That breaks Wiis), but I think it's 4.3. Right?
    I've softmodded only. (Bannerbomb and twilight hack)

I've taken all of the wads I've installed using Wad Manager, so that's good. I may have installed some cIOSs, but I'm not sure... (0_0)

So I'm pretty much asking; is it safe to update my Wii from Nintendo? Should I delete the homebrew channel first? Or should I just update it it,
    and let IT take care the HBC? If not, could you please tell me what to do?

Also, once I have updated and whatnot, it's safe to use it like it's never been softmodded, correct?

I'm a bit of a noob, as you can tell. [​IMG]

Thanks a ton.

2. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    4.2 was the one that updated boot2 initially...IIRC.

Before I can give you a proper answer, I need to know why you want to remove everything. Selling it? Just want to be legit? No need for homebrew? Not working for you right? Sending it to N for another reason?

Also, uninstalling WADs can be a bad idea if you aren't sure which ones are safe to remove, ie. removing the System Menu WAD or it's IOS can be VERY bad.

3. Quinn95
    OP

Newcomer Quinn95 Member

United States
    I want to remove it, because my siblings play games on it, but I don't. So whenever they get a new game, I'm always worried something will happen if there's an update. haha

I should've made myself more clear, but I uninstalled VC wads. No system wads or IOSs.

4. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    As long as you have Priiloader with hacks installed, there is no risk of them installing updates.

5. Quinn95
    OP

Newcomer Quinn95 Member

United States
    I just want to remove the stuff anyway, even if there is a workaround.

6. Lacius

United States
    If you want to remove everything, doing a network update to 4.3 is the best way to do it. If you are using version 1.0.7 or 1.0.8 of the Homebrew Channel, you will have to delete it manually.

7. Quinn95
    OP

Newcomer Quinn95 Member

United States
    It's that easy? lol
    I thought there were some risks to updating in stuff. Just wanted to be extra precautions.

8. Lacius

United States
    Since you are going from 4.2 to 4.3, bootmii installed as boot2 will not be deleted. Use the hackmii installer if you want to uninstall bootmii (not recommended). There are also some cIOS files that might not get stubbed, but that will not effect anything.

9. Quinn95
    OP

Newcomer Quinn95 Member

United States
    I had bootmii installed, but the Green Day Rockband update got rid of it. Should I try to uninstall it? Or is it gone?

10. Lacius

United States
    Just don't worry about it.

11. Quinn95
    OP

Newcomer Quinn95 Member

United States
    Cool. Thanks a lot.

EDIT. I may worry WAY to much, but I didn't update to 4.2 through nintendo. So i'm not sure if boot2 got patched. Will the 4.3 update patch it if it hasn't?

12. Lacius

United States
    Yes, but that seems to be what you want.

13. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    So wrong. Just updating online DOES NOT remove EVERYTHING. You need pune's nandbuilder app to be able to remove everything.

14. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Wouldn't Pune's NANDBuilder app be creating an entirely new different NAND, or at least deleting everything original off the old NAND? I think the OP wants to be more selective over what they have deleted. I assume that they may want to keep their existing Wii Friends code and any other things that may be lost using Pune's NANDBuilder. I myself am unclear on what exact files/non-OTP keys on the Wii pertain to individual items on the Wii like the Wii Friend Code, Shopping Channel Account, etc. so correct me if I am wrong in thinking that NANDBuilder does not offer a simple way to retain such.

If I assume wrong, and a scorched Earth approach is wanted then using NANDBuilder would be a good way to go. Another option would be to use Any-Title-Deleter to remove any stray Channels and cIOSes and then use ModMii or NUSD to download the latest official IOSes and Channels and install them using a WAD manager. You can then delete remove the HBC and remnants off the Wii and SD card manually. Either way would require some understanding on what needs to be downloaded and such, so do your reading beforehand. I would keep BootMii and possibly Priiloader installed as they can be configured so that they will not appear during normal Wii use and will allow you to re-mod your Wii if you change your mind.

-[]D

15. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

You can always get your old Wii Friend Code back, you just need to use the system format option enough times to match the original. Your shop account is stored on nintendo's servers and tied to your device certificate, you can't lose it unless you tell the shop channel to delete it.

16. Quinn95
    OP

Newcomer Quinn95 Member

United States
    All I really want to do is update to 4.3 and all future updates (preferably through Nintendo). Taking the HB channel off in the process.

My main question is; will updating to 4.3 after not officially updating to 4.2 have a risk because of the boot2 update problem?

17. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Not at all. Just update it, and it'll happily play retail discs. [​IMG]

Deadlyfoez is correct that it won't exactly remove all traces...but those that remain won't interfere for regular play.

18. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    if your current boot2 version is less than v4, it will be updated to v4 during official updates.

However, the problems ninty had with bricking people with their boot2 updates has been corrected for the most part. It's still not as safe as TT's boot2 update code, but the chances of bricking due to an official boot2 update are very small

19. Quinn95
    OP

Newcomer Quinn95 Member

United States
    I updated good. HBC was taken off, and no problems have occurred except when I try to redownload a RB2 song I always get error '204704'. It might be because I did the RawkSD patch, and it didn't work and the game updated again. (This was a long time ago)

So maybe the IOS is broken? omfg....
    Anyone know what the problem is?

I also got an error message a few times when updating. (I think it said network has been interupted or something.) is it possible I'm too far away from my router or something?

EDIT: Yes I can download stuff from the shop channel (I got netflix)

EDIT2: Never mind guys. Bad reception I guess. It worked from my bed haha.

Thanks a lot for the help too. [​IMG]

20. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    You could have used dopmii to install stubs for your Cios/bootmii ios
    Use the hackmii installer to delete Bootmii - boot2.
    Then do a Wii system format, and update officially.

Would have taken you about 10 minutes. and would give you a "clean" Wii.

Though if you are keeping it for your kids and want to save money on games, I would not do it.
    I'd install preloader and CFG loader with the safety precaution inplace for updating online/offline and installing games/ formatting HD for CFG loader.
    You could NOT be safer.