Removing an old modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by damienallen, Oct 5, 2011.

Oct 5, 2011

Removing an old modchip by damienallen at 4:16 AM (443 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. damienallen
    OP

Newcomer damienallen Newbie

United States
    I got my Wii modded with a generic PIC chip and some open source software back before there were any softmods available. Newer games are giving me Error 001 with the latest Neogamma and CIOS installed, so it looks like the updated modchip is probably causing the problem. The chip was not soldered to the drive, but was instead attached with wires that were soldered. Can I simply cut the wire to safely disconnect the chip, or is there some other procedure that I must follow?

I'm comfortable with opening and reassembling my Wii and I'm competent enough to tape the snipped wire to avoid shorts.

2. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    You will need to find the install procedure of the chip and do exactly the opposite thing.
    It wouldn't suprise me that the chip sits between some of the signals going from the drive to the wii motherboard.
    If that is the case, you will need to connect those signals again to each other, or the wii won't function properly anymore afterwards.

I have no experience with those modchips, so I can be wrong about this.
    Loading from an usb drive is the way most people work nowadays. Gc games are another story.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @ obcd first pic chips (save for some of the cut pin d2b but even then) sat on the debug/serial port which the drive makers had left pads and such on the board for (since the gamecube no less) which then told it to treat burned discs as pressed.

Back on topic yeah you can clip and tape over if you want/do not fancy soldering. You can probably work around it with some more of the more exotic CIOS installations, menu hacks, loader hacks and NAND emulation and/or replacing a whole bunch of IOS with custom ones (I forgot what the method that did that was called but it was not highly recommended back when it was current- edit cIOScorp was one of them) but if you do not use the chip then do as you feel.

4. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    In that case, just removing it would indeed do the trick.
    I was just trying to state that it was unsafe to do it without that knowledge.